List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

As the winner of this years Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medal for most promising young VFL talent, 21 year old Sam Davidson is an inheritor of a strong tradition with the last 17 winners going on to make it onto an AFL list. An outside leaning flanker or winger, Davidson is a powerful runner, solid overhead mark and an excellent competitor on the field, a mix of traits that should prove attractive enough for him to get picked up in the upcoming national draft.

So mean posting this as his fans are still livid we overlooked him.

With all due respect, Mckercher would not go top 3 this draft.
Jagga, Fos, Smilie, Lalor, Ashcroft would be selected before him. even Draper, Lombard and Langford could go before him if he was in this draft.
For what its worth I very much disagree with this take. If he was coming through this year I'd have McKercher in my top tier of prospects along with Draper, Jagga, FOS and Levi.

What ever happened to Knightmare? 10 years ago he was THE guy on this website, I didn't really follow what happened besides the fact he was working at ESPN for a bit. Used to have some funny mocks

People are letting their head canon's get in the way of making the smartest list decision.
Take out the risk and take the best two kids in the draft at 1 and 2.
Also gives us the option of bidding on Ashcroft and Lombard before pick 2 to ensure Brisbane and Gold Coast pay almost full tote odds for those players.

Everyone worried about pick 2 being a potential dud but the reverse could easily happen and pick 2 turns into the next Bont.

Pick 2 is a must get. I don't care if you're mentally scarred from 20 years ago. It's the smartest decision to make.
That is easy when in most seasons there are a clear top 2 or 3.

That is not the case this year, where we see up to 6 odd names in peoples lists as being top 2.

What ever happened to Knightmare? 10 years ago he was THE guy on this website, I didn't really follow what happened besides the fact he was working at ESPN for a bit. Used to have some funny mocks
Spat the dummy

Ask the draft experts on their thoughts.

It’s been asked and answered.

By several as well

The fact you put smillie on your list says it all

It’s not a great top end.
What is a draft expert? I watch plenty of under 18 games both national comp and Coates talent league. I also tracked Cotch and Dusty before they were drafted to the Tiges back in their draft years. On top of work experience with an AFL club’s recruiting team.

So I guess I have a little bit of knowledge/experience when it comes to comparing talent.

Smilie is 195cm plays as an inside mid, Centre half back and pinch hits in the ruck.. that’s the type of prospect that goes at pick 1. You could build a team around him. Not an 182cm outside ball user.

And guaranteed if the AFL came to North last year and said if you give up your pick 2 this year, it will guarantee to pick up Finn O’Sullivan next year. North would have been falling over their own feet to take that deal.

Jagga also, better prospect than Mckercher, as is Ashcroft. So that’s 4 players ahead of him.

Then there is Sam Lalor, 187cm powerful mid that can go forward and impact with leadership potential. I’m taking him before Mckercher.

So being generous, Mckercher can go pick 5-6 in this year’s draft. Even then, if a club needs a Key position player then there are 2-3 that could also go before a 182cm outside ball user.

Still rate Mckercher as a top prospect, and I think it was the right option for North considering their list build and what was available.
just rate the players at the top end this year ahead of him.

(I would have taken Mckercher ahead of Watson for what it’s worth) - I’m a north bandwagon supporter until Tiges bounce back.

I'm starting to think pick 4 is better for us than pick 2.
It wont cost as much and possibly can keep pick 6 as well.

Really depends on how the draft prospects are graded by our recruiters.
Is it a top 4, then 15 in the next group and 10 in the next ?

It's an example of what I'd like to see us do. Everyone seems to think that all their favourite players are going to fall to our picks unfortunately it won't work that way even with us holding the most picks in R1. We're bound to miss a few players we're keen on
You want us to take four talls, man. That's ****in ludicrous.

If FOS turns out to be a dud, trading for 2 will go down in history as the biggest blunder
There is zero chance he turns out a dud.

What about:

Trade 11 & 20 to GWS for 15 & 16.

On trade 10 & 15 to Norff for 2. Exactly same points value.

End up with 1, 2, 6, 16, 18, 23 and 24
Norf wants a pick that'll guarantee them Tauru, hence 6 almost certainly needs to be involved.

He was never the guy, just thought he was. Shameless self-promoter who pulled the wool over the AFL-ignorant eyes of ESPN. Terrible judge. Prima donna. Egomaniac. Hack.

For what its worth I very much disagree with this take. If he was coming through this year I'd have McKercher in my top tier of prospects along with Draper, Jagga, FOS and Levi.
Richmond aren’t drafting him pick 1 if he was there.
Jagga wins his own ball and sets the team up, would select him before Mckercher. Levi has a good mix of inside/outside play. Selecting him before Mckercher. FOS speaks for himself. Draper is probably a similar type, though I personally wouldn’t take him ahead of Jagga, Finn and Levi. So Mckercher could go before him. And that’s before you add Lalor, Smilie and Langford who all have higher ceilings than Mckercher.

In no way am I trying to discredit the young fella. I’m just stating that the top end of this years draft is stronger than last years (excluding Harley).

As well as North’s list build, the outside class/speed is what they wanted. But if those players above were available it would have been a different story.

That is easy when in most seasons there are a clear top 2 or 3.

That is not the case this year, where we see up to 6 odd names in peoples lists as being top 2.
Eh I'd have FOS, Lalor as the clear top 2. Jagga maybe just sitting outside those two. No offence to the Jagganauts in here.

But I'll defer to the more prominent draft connoisseurs.

He was never the guy, just thought he was. Shameless self-promoter who pulled the wool over the AFL-ignorant eyes of ESPN. Terrible judge. Prima donna. Egomaniac. Hack.
Egomaniac?

Doesn't everyone create a YouTube video when they stop posting on BF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this our best 22 pre-draft?

B: Nick Vlastuin - Josh Gibcus - Nathan Broad
HB: Jayden Short - Noah Balta - Tom Brown
C: Hugo Ralphsmith - Dion Prestia - Sam Banks
HF: Seth Campbell - Jacob Koschitzke - Maurice Rioli
F: Mykelti Lefau - Tom Lynch - Rhyan Mansell
R: Toby Nankervis - Tim Taranto - Jacob Hopper
Int: Jack Ross - Kane McAuliffe - Ben Miller - Judson Clarke - Jacob Bauer
🔐 Pick 1 2025

Interesting. Maybe I remember him as the guy because of the self-promotion or that his thread had the most engagement. Obviously he's been found out now

Okay, lets go through a few of these comparisons:

Jagga wins his own ball and sets the team up
McKercher won plenty of his own ball last year. Yes he's not quite as prolific as Jagga at stoppage, but he's very good in that area and has a similar ability to go on those mazy runs to get from inside to outside the contest for a cleaner and more damaging disposal. Counterbalancing Jagga's somewhat superior clearance work, McKercher is a more penetrating and damaging user of the footy.

FOS speaks for himself
Why does FOS speak for himself exactly? McKercher is a significantly superior accumulator to FOS (at this stage at least), is at least as good as FOS at winning clearances, and is close to as damaging with ball in hand (agility, pace, disposal). FOS hits the scoreboard more, and is far superior aerially.

Draper is probably a similar type
There are similarities and differences. Draper is more ballistic and explosive in his movement and comes across as a more intense competitor. McKercher is smoother and more composed. McKercher is a more damaging user of the footy by far.

To an extent this is an opinion game with plenty of subjective elements, but I'd be surprised if the general consensus is that McKercher wouldn't be a top tier pick this year. Last years top 10 was very strong, overall I would rate it slightly above this years but not significantly.

Is this crazy?

Our F1 (ie 1 next year) to Carlton for 3 + F1.

I’m not sold on the Blues. Their F1 could become a top 10 pick if Curnow does a knee.
Reckon we'd be crazy but this is just a taste of the types of offers we may expect on Draft Night.....
Next years draft class has some decent mid/fwds, there is another midfield beast who I think will be on a lot of clubs radars, Lucas Robinson. Butler (FWD/MID) and Cochrane (DEF/MID) two others I reckon we will be following all year.... I like Cochrane.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back