List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking that a tall forward was right at the top of our list and could go early and take the best available.

None of them scream take me from what I have seen. We have Fawcett, Lefau, Bauer and Gray or our list, all basically unknown how good they will be. Lefau was impressive and looks like he could play CHF due to his athleticism, Bauer was very impressive in his little cameo at the end. Fawcett and Gray will get games you would think this year.

I would also like to see what players who read the ball in the air like Young and even Blight could do up forward. Gibcus could end up there.

So do we wait a year and go early on the best young forward next year after we have had a look at what we've got. Not much point in having a good handful of forwards running around the VFL and then adding another one.
Sorry but most of the players you named as forwards I just see as project types and are most likely to be average types or gone. They need to be given a chance but Richmond need to make all posts a winner and will need to add one or two more KPF types to the list. It takes time to develop key forwards and we need to be starting that process now.

There are a million things you consider when building a list. There's a million factors that will enhance or stall development. Projecting when they're going to come through, who will be around, who will anchor the team through certain seasons. What the balance will look like. Yes it should be very best available and no drafting for fit in the first round.

They're all great philosophies for if you've got one first round pick, or two.

There's not many good case studies for balancing a third of a team coming through the first round. But it's a hell of a lot more nuanced and complex than drafting next up.

Yes I agree don’t trade to 2. High chance in thei even draft 6 will end up better than 2.

Only trade to 2 if north are desperate with a cant refuse deal. Otherwise i wouldnt be offering anything and take 6 to draft. We will get someone very good there.
1 & 6 are great! why trade ?

#1 - FOS or Lalor, #6 - Jagger/Draper/Langford or Smillie or do we pick Tauru ?

& if any other teams pick Tauru & Armstrong before pick 6 we will have 1-3 of them to choose from !!

Then #10 & #11 - Could be 2 of Shanahan, Travaglia, Lindsey, Reid, Bo Allan

#18 & #20 - Berry, Hotton, Faull

#24 - Whitlock, Dodson, Gerryn

we should get shifter sheehan on our recruiting team

bloke knows which kids are stars (all of them)

love during the draft when some rando gets picked at #78 and shifter goes with the "this kid really could be something, astonishing pace and amazing aerial ability, an absolute steal at 78"

And then repeats it for pick 84

1 & 6 are great! why trade ?

#1 - FOS or Lalor, #6 - Jagger/Draper/Langford or Smillie or do we pick Tauru ?

& if any other teams pick Tauru & Armstrong before pick 6 we will have 1-3 of them to choose from !!

Then #10 & #11 - Could be 2 of Shanahan, Travaglia, Lindsey, Reid, Bo Allan

#18 & #20 - Berry, Hotton, Faull

#24 - Whitlock, Dodson, Gerryn
If Draper fell to 6 and we don't pick him
I will have a nervous breakdown.

love during the draft when some rando gets picked at #78 and shifter goes with the "this kid really could be something, astonishing pace and amazing aerial ability, an absolute steal at 78"

Only if they don't play for Richmond.

Richmond’s General Manager-Football Talent Blair Hartley provides a summary of the Club’s incredible 2024 AFL trade period that netted the Tigers a raft of eight picks inside the top 24 at next month’s national draft .

Planning for the 2024 draft

“We were pretty keen on this draft prior to all this happening (trading out Baker, Bolton, D. Rioli) with gathering some picks from last year through the live trading and the Ivan Soldo trade, with the aim of moving ourselves up into the draft with the academy points. So, we’ve been able to do that with pick 20. But along with pick one and pick 24, which were our own picks, we’ve been able to get pick six, pick 10, pick 11, pick 20 and pick 23 as well.”

Maximising our draft hand

“As a list manager you’re always looking to position yourself in those strong drafts, which sets our club up for what ‘s next . . . It feels like it puts us in a good position leading into the trade window as well of the picks leading into the draft. And, also, we can trade picks live on the night. So, we’re pretty happy with where we’re at right now.”

The strength of this draft

“We view it as a very, very strong draft. It’s even. I think you can see the weight of what clubs have given up just to get into the draft has been solid.”

Exciting time at Tigerland

“Patience is required, but we’re really excited about what’s to come. I think a lot of people forget about the experience we currently have on our list . . . We’ve got a lot of senior experienced core guys that have been around and have been involved in a lot of success . . . We’re very excited about what’s to come. It will take time, but I think everyone understands that.”

01CaRi24MW03269.jpg

Taranto and Hopper Punt Road positivity

“We’ve had open conversations with Tim and Jacob, and they are that excited. They love Richmond and they’re excited about what’s next. They couldn’t be more excited. So, we’re looking forward to them playing a big role.”

Trading up our out

“I won’t rule out anything. We’ve just got to let the dust settle. The draft’s very even . . . everyone sees it differently, though. We’ll assess it as it comes. But we’re open to everything. If we can stagger it out, we will.”

This immediately reminds me of when we selected Reece McKenzie.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could easily happen too with him talking down Adelaide.

Hard to know who clubs like but with Jagga, FOS, Lalor and Langford all likely to go early, and who knows which clubs like Smillie or Reid early. Then you have clubs that may reach for Tauru, Armstrong or even Trainor or Shanahan. If only one club picks outside of those first four midfielders I listed and Draper, we get one of them. I think Draper, Langford or Smith could be the one. The question then is do you take Armstrong if he’s still there.

I can’t see Draper getting past the Blues and Crows but would be happy to take him if that was the case. If we do trade out into 2025 I hope we try and do deals where we get another pick back this year and exploit the depth of the draft. For example getting Carlton’s future first and Pick 33 off the Hawks for say pick 20. There maybe very little difference in the calibre of player available at 20 or 33 and we improve our hand for next year.

Sorry but most of the players you named as forwards I just see as project types and are most likely to be average types or gone. They need to be given a chance but Richmond need to make all posts a winner and will need to add one or two more KPF types to the list. It takes time to develop key forwards and we need to be starting that process now.
In a normal year when you get one or two early picks I might be taking my earlier scenario, but I guess as we will use between 6- 8 pics, we should be covering our bases.

I think Bauer might surprise. He took 5 contested marks on Sicily and showed a bit of Jack Riewoldt in that he can mark even when out of position. That is a rare skill these days. Has had an average run with injuries but his game against Hawks was pretty impressive. I was talking to a bloke who had watched a lot of him in SA and he said, what have we done to Bauer, he was a freak talent when he was younger.

It was a problem they thought they could fix with Corey Ellis and RCD. They were wrong. For a midfielder I can’t think of a greater concern. More often than not it’s just not fixable.
C.Ellis and RCD were soft and didn’t take well to the physical nature of AFL footy. FOS has a get the ball forward at all costs type mentality. He’s not your accumulator either, more of a one touch type. 5 of his touches is worth 10-15 of others. He will throw himself at the ball, both on the ground and in the air. I don’t think the physicality is gonna be a concern, more how his body holds up I guess.

Pondering the key forwards.

Goes without saying we need them, but do we really need to take 2 of the top key prospects this draft like some may think? We’re not completely void of them in the list already. The problem is they just aren’t good enough. Could we just select someone like Jonty Faull at 18/20/23/24 and look to select a number one key forward at #1 next year?

I’m not sure whether Armstrong, Shanahan or Jonty end up being #1 key options, maybe best suited to the #2 roles. Could be wrong, just some thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back