List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't know FOS/Lalor/Smith are the best in the land. The question is 1 player v 2 players. Is one of FOS/Lalor/Smith worth possibly 2 others in the top 20, one of which is Pick 6 and could be one of the players mentioned anyway? 50/50 in my opinion.
It’s a good point. I don’t think we will trade up to 2. Most Brownlow medalists in the past 10 years were taken outside the top 10
So, if we find ourselves at Pick 6 and have Langford and Smilie on the board.... who do we take?

I do like Langford, has a lot of Bont attributes - not crazy quick but nor is Bont.
Langford!
Or the far more realistic scenario, the above will never happen for 1 reason.

RICH - Lalor
NM - FOS
CARL - Jagga
ADE - Draper
Melb - Langford
RICH - ?
….then we take Smilie for sure

The top end of the draft is looking like going this way:

1. Rich - Lalor - it would be a mistake to take him over FOS
2. Norf - Taura - if norf don't trade back
3. Carl - FOS
4. Bris - Ashcroft - Adel bid
5. Adel - Draper
6. Essen- Kako - Melb bid
7. Melb - Langford
8. Rich - Smille
9. Saints - Jagga
10. Saints - Armstrong
11. GC - Lombard - Melb bid
12. Melb - Travaglia
13. Rich - Lindsay
14. Rich - Hotton

Why do you constantly misspell Tauru’s name Taura?

I don't want the club to trade for pick 2.
We don't need to fully rebuild in 1 year. We take either Lalor or FOS and there's still gonna be a gun at 6. We'll no doubt get 1st pick next year who odds are will be universally regarded as No. 1 player. We're still dreadful 2026 we'll get another Pick 1 - 3 and by rights a priority pick.

Only way I'd reconsider is if GWS, Dees and Saints won't bite either and North are absolutely desperate to get rid of the pick on the night and accept like 11 and 18 and we promise not to take Tauru at 6 and 10. The evenness and depth of the draft we should make out like absolute bandits if we field all offers and weigh them up and see which teams take the pineapple on the night. No more swap our 1st to Geelong for their 1st the following year (when both were clearly top of the tree) for no gain and missing out on a kid for a year. I'm talking like our trade to Brisbane for pick 20 where we basically gave away double the value.

Some desperate club who delusionally thinks their window is still open is desperate for say pick 20 because a kid they rated 8 -10 is available. We'll take their 2024 2nd round & 2025 1st & 3rd. And with the depth on offer I can see pick 24 being traded for Future 1st and 2nd of a cellar dwelling team minimum. We should try and get a pick in the 40's back for Will Davidson too. I think if the Tiges hold off on swapping until the last minute desperate teams will grossly overpay and regret it the next day after they've sold the farm.

We're stacked with picks it'd be stupid to flinch. There's easily 5 coaches under pressure of getting the sack, a few clubs who's windows almost shut and several teams with lousy picks this year. Play it right and our draft hand next year will be epic too.

we do not want Brownlow medalists ,we want gun footballers and premierships

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

The top end of the draft is looking like going this way:

1. Rich - Lalor - it would be a mistake to take him over FOS
2. Norf - Taura - if norf don't trade back
3. Carl - FOS
4. Bris - Ashcroft - Adel bid
5. Adel - Draper
6. Essen- Kako - Melb bid
7. Melb - Langford
8. Rich - Smille
9. Saints - Jagga
10. Saints - Armstrong
11. GC - Lombard - Melb bid
12. Melb - Travaglia
13. Rich - Lindsay
14. Rich - Hotton
No chance we pick smillie ahead of Jagga, None.

We are considering Jagga at pick 1. Along with FOS and Lalor. Latest mail seems Lalor is most likely at 1.
Smillie isn't our contention for 1, where Jagga is. I would rather Smillie though personally. And also FOS at 1.

If we could get FOS and Lalor, I don't even care who else we draft.

Don't trade with North for 2, force them to take Tauru there, they literally have no other options to trade down with. If they have to take Tauru there then one of FOS, Smith, Draper or Langford is there at 6, thats assuming we take Lalor first pick. This also assumes that Dees don't take Armstrong at 5 which I wouldn't be surprised if they did because he won't get past Saints at 7/8.

If North take Tauru at 2 its highly likely Smith is still available at our pick 6.
I don't mind trading up for it, but we need to absolutely recognise this. North are the ones in the hot seat, not us. Either take Tauru at 2, or give us a ****ing great deal for 6.

As I've said all along, 2 and F2 for 6 and 18/20.

I don't mind trading up for it, but we need to absolutely recognise this. North are the ones in the hot seat, not us. Either take Tauru at 2, or give us a ****ing great deal for 6.

As I've said all along, 2 and F2 for 6 and 18/20.

That's not a bad shout.

North will improve next year so can see there F2 being around 30, however 18 on this draft is a big difference to 30 next year.

6 & 11 is giving too much, 6 & 18 or nothing.

North are over a barrel, they have pick 2 then 68. They want Tauru then 6 & 18, they can take him at 2, but they wont.

Ether way 1= Lalor/FOS & 6= Langford/Smilie/Smith, we cant lose either way or 1= Lalor & 2= FOS/Smith.

I say keep 1 & 6, if North & Melb take mids & 2 and 5, at Pick 10 we will have better chance to get Tauru/Armstrong/Shanahan.

if not we have better quality mids to choose from 1,6,10. Then grab 1 tall at 11.

The more I think about it and the type of player in the Top 6, we re better off to keep 1 & 6, then we choice with 10&11, needs picks with 18, 23 & 24 (which we could move into next year- not sure why if the crop is better this year)

I trust in Blair Hartley, with work he has done so far !!

If we don’t trade up we don’t land either Finn O’Sullivan or Jagga Smith. If we don’t end up with two of the three I consider the draft a fail. I’ve watched those two religiously and either one will benefit us so much. Snag up Hotton, Travaglia, Lindsey, Shanahan or Armstrong or a Whitlock or a berry and we are good.
I can’t seem to see why we would not consider having two of the main 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 and 18 would be there best offer by far

Not sure we make that offer either just quietly
6 & 11 for 2 & f1.
Anyone who thinks they're gonna win more than 5 games with 3 pensioners coming in are kidding themselves.

If we don’t trade up we don’t land either Finn O’Sullivan or Jagga Smith. If we don’t end up with two of the three I consider the draft a fail. I’ve watched those two religiously and either one will benefit us so much. Snag up Hotton, Travaglia, Lindsey, Shanahan or Armstrong or a Whitlock or a berry and we are good.
I can’t seem to see why we would not consider having two of the main 3

Not sure how you can consider it a fail when all these players have some kind of question mark against them, it's the main reason why we shouldn't be rushing into to get pick 2.

Not sure how you can consider it a fail when all these players have some kind of question mark against them, it's the main reason why we shouldn't be rushing into to get pick 2.

If Finn had an injury free season you’d be comparing him to Harley Reid or saying clear out right number 1.. Jagga elite ball winner can’t question that. Why would you not want either. I don’t care what happens but if in 3 years time and those two are guns and we on BF screamed and argued to get one or two of them. When was we pick are good but not there level I’ll be laughing back just thinking told you so. FOS peers think his the best they play him, they would know.

If St Kilda offered picks 7 & 8 for 1. Would we take it?
would we offer a future first for 5 and 9 and would Melbourne take it?

If Melbourne want this and that they can pick next year what they want?

Melbourne seem to be in limbo, they could drop next year and Oliver might depart, who knows

If Melbourne gt the first pick next year they can pick what they want

why do it??

well in theory 5 and 9 better this year because deeper and pick one is pick one, pick one next year might suit Melbourne if they are looking to transition, they have flexibility either way

should we offer up a future first to North next year because KPP might be better next year and North can pick who they want with pick one, we have an idea who we are getting at pick 2?

probably more inclined future first for 5 and 9, 6 and 18 for 2

If we had 1,2,5, 9, 10, 11 and the rest that would be f... amazing

they would be young but imagine the bonding and inertia created from them all coming through together

Last edited:

Richmond’s General Manager-Football Talent Blair Hartley provides a summary of the Club’s incredible 2024 AFL trade period that netted the Tigers a raft of eight picks inside the top 24 at next month’s national draft .

Planning for the 2024 draft

“We were pretty keen on this draft prior to all this happening (trading out Baker, Bolton, D. Rioli) with gathering some picks from last year through the live trading and the Ivan Soldo trade, with the aim of moving ourselves up into the draft with the academy points. So, we’ve been able to do that with pick 20. But along with pick one and pick 24, which were our own picks, we’ve been able to get pick six, pick 10, pick 11, pick 20 and pick 23 as well.”

Maximising our draft hand

“As a list manager you’re always looking to position yourself in those strong drafts, which sets our club up for what ‘s next . . . It feels like it puts us in a good position leading into the trade window as well of the picks leading into the draft. And, also, we can trade picks live on the night. So, we’re pretty happy with where we’re at right now.”

The strength of this draft

“We view it as a very, very strong draft. It’s even. I think you can see the weight of what clubs have given up just to get into the draft has been solid.”

Exciting time at Tigerland

“Patience is required, but we’re really excited about what’s to come. I think a lot of people forget about the experience we currently have on our list . . . We’ve got a lot of senior experienced core guys that have been around and have been involved in a lot of success . . . We’re very excited about what’s to come. It will take time, but I think everyone understands that.”

01CaRi24MW03269.jpg

Taranto and Hopper Punt Road positivity

“We’ve had open conversations with Tim and Jacob, and they are that excited. They love Richmond and they’re excited about what’s next. They couldn’t be more excited. So, we’re looking forward to them playing a big role.”

Trading up our out

“I won’t rule out anything. We’ve just got to let the dust settle. The draft’s very even . . . everyone sees it differently, though. We’ll assess it as it comes. But we’re open to everything. If we can stagger it out, we will.”
He forgot about pick 18

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back