List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FYI

Will add a 2024 NAB Draft & Trade tracker thread, stickied.

Tag me when we have a confirmed trade/draft and I will update the thread accordingly

Sam Davidson from Richmond's VFL seems like the most likely to be the next Mannagh type who could get on an AFL list an make an impact straight away. He was mid season draft eligible but was overlooked hey, what were the big knocks on him? Attributes sound great, elite endurance, hard runner with good skills. Decent size too who can take a grab and kick a goal. Would be right in the mix during the year with Laith and McNeill for one of those fwd spots you'd think or even on the wing for us.

Our name’s been thrown around as a team potentially interested in him.

Gee I’m coming around to Hamish Davis.

I said the other day 190cm taller types are not a need for us… but when they appear to have forward craft, footy IQ, consistent goals and score involvements at 18 and senior level, good endurance, decent speed for size

Whats not to like?

Found this article on him too:

Claremont bolter Hamish Davis reflects on his breakout game, Nat Fyfe comparison, draft chances​

There’s no better way to announce yourself as an AFL draft contender than kicking four goals in an elimination final.

But that’s exactly how Hamish Davis celebrated his sixth game of league football with Claremont, finishing with 21 disposals, four marks and a bag of majors against East Fremantle.

The 18-year-old has been the talk of the WAFL this week after his breakout performance against the reigning premiers. You’d be hard-pressed to find a better senior performance from any player in this year’s draft crop.

When the Sharks kicked the first two goals of the final quarter to get back within striking distance, it was Davis who kicked the steadier. He went on with it too, adding a fourth for the day after creeping out the back of the Sharks’ defence.

“My first few games were adjusting to the pace and physicality of it,” Davis said. “I wasn’t able to hit the scoreboard as much as I’d like.

“But to kick four in a final was unreal. It’s all thanks to my teammates making it easy for me. Kicking goals is a reflection of the work that’s done further afield.

“In the back of my mind, there’s always been a possibility of playing some league footy for Claremont. It was a goal that I had for this year.

“A couple weeks after the Championships finished, I got called into (football operations manager) Kepler Bradley’s office. He asked me if I wanted to play up and start training with the seniors with the possibility of playing league.

“The plan initially was to start in the reserves and then play league if my form there warranted an opportunity. I was lucky enough to get the news on the Wednesday night before my debut. I couldn’t believe it. The nerves started to kick in but it was mainly excitement.”

Davis made his league debut in round 17 against East Perth. It’s been a big 12 months already for the Subiaco junior but Davis has taken it all in his stride.

12 months ago, Davis kicked three goals in Claremont’s Colts premiership win, a side that featured the likes of Dan Curtin (Adelaide), Joe Fonti (GWS) and Zane Zakostelsky (Brisbane). Earlier this year, he played a big part in the Tigers’ undefeated start to the Colts season. More recently, he was one of 12 Claremont players to be selected in WA’s U18s squad, averaging 14.5 disposals, 1.8 goals and four marks across the course of the National Championships.

But the performance that forced Claremont league coach Ashley Prescott’s hand was Davis’ 40-disposal, nine mark and one goal outing against Swan Districts in round 15. The way he was able to impact in the air as a half-forward saw him compared to a younger version of Fremantle star Nat Fyfe by the Bray & Ethan podcast.

“It’s always pretty humbling being compared to a two-time Brownlow medallist,” Davis said. “I know I’m a long way off him.

“I’ve got a long way to go before I’m anything like him but it’s a great compliment.”

After testing himself against the likes of AFL affiliates Peel Thunder and West Coast in his first month of football, Davis kicked his first senior goal against Subiaco in the final round of the home and away season. Then he kicked his second and his third.

He made his mark on the WAFL finals series against East Fremantle. And on Sunday, he’ll aim to do the same to Peel Thunder.

It’s understood that 12 of the 18 clubs have already shown interest in Davis ahead of the national combine and AFL draft later this year. But for now, Davis’ focus is on seeing out the finals series with Claremont and potentially winning back-to-back grand finals with the Colts if the Tigers’ league side doesn’t qualify.

“It would be amazing (to be drafted), Davis said. “It’s been my dream forever. But whatever happens, happens.

“I’ve surrounded myself with some great people this year who’ve made it really easy for me, whether that be at Claremont or the State program. Hopefully, it can happen for me at the end of the year.

“It’s exciting having some contact with clubs but at the moment and them showing interest, the more important thing is performing for Claremont in finals.”

Eliza Reilly

Well that's Davis gone then. :(

No way he'll drop to pick twentyteen or whatever our first ends up as.
Interesting if West Coast would consider him over Bo Allen if given the choice. You would have to think Freo at 14 would be a massive danger too.

Talking of footy IQ, Bo Allen has very little of it from what I can see. He seems to burst out of stoppage first then think about what he is going to do with it later. Athlete before footballer that kid.

Last edited:

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Current Draft Picks: 17, 25, 35, 48

The Bulldogs gained picks 17 and 25 for losing two quality players in Bailey Smith and Caleb Daniel.

However, Smith was sidelined for the entire 2024 season and Daniel fell out of favour – as did traded midfielder Jack Macrae – so their loss isn’t as significant as they look on paper. While pick 17 may become pick 21 by the time bids come in, there should be no shortage of options for their first choice – and at picks 25 and 35.

Forward-midfielder Taj Hotton faces a delayed start to 2025 after an ACL but is an exciting talent, Xavier Lindsay would be a nice fit as a defender or inside or outside midfielder if he is still on the board, while half forward impact players Jesse Dattoli and Cooper Hynes should be around the mark at their first two selections.

Oakleigh Charger Tom Gross and Eastern Ranger Christian Moraes were both touted as top-10 picks at the start of the season and could both prove to be steals in the second round, while late-season bolter Ollie Hannaford has shown he can use his speed in a variety of roles, particularly as a dangerous small forward.

Or the Bulldogs could look to arguably the best pure small defender in the draft in Harry Oliver at 25, with fellow rebounders Lachie Jaques and Angus Clarke other options for their second or third pick.

List boss Sam Power said they are open to trading selections on draft night so don’t be surprised to see the Bulldogs get creative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll go all Chuck Norris on our list management team if we don't pick Hannaford when he's there. I haven't been more invested in a player since Ed Richards because most importantly I think he will be the best player available and on top of that he fits our needs to tee. If we do pass on him at 17, I really hope it's a Naughton/Richards situation and he slips through to 25.

As a small midfielder I love Dattoli
As a small forward I do not
He’s tough as nails and uses the ball well but doesn’t have that bag of tricks you’d want a small forward to have
This has been a recurring theme hasn't it?

Get a bloke in who might become a first choice midfielder one day but right now is in a queue with quite a few others behind MB, JMac, TL etc. So let's play him on a flank somewhere.

As many have said, HFF (whether high or deep) is a hard position to play and being a good midfielder doesn't automatically mean you will play well there. Especially if you're quietly fuming because you see yourself as a natural midfielder not a half forward.

If we want a genuine long term small forward we need to go after the player with the right skillset, mindset and physical attributes, not try to mould somebody into it who is a poor fit.

I'm hoping after years of seeing this strategy play out badly the club will try something different this off season.

This has been a recurring theme hasn't it?

Get a bloke in who might become a first choice midfielder one day but right now is in a queue with quite a few others behind MB, JMac, TL etc. So let's play him on a flank somewhere.

As many have said, HFF (whether high or deep) is a hard position to play and being a good midfielder doesn't automatically mean you will play well there. Especially if you're quietly fuming because you see yourself as a natural midfielder not a half forward.

If we want a genuine long term small forward we need to go after the player with the right skillset, mindset and physical attributes, not try to mould somebody into it who is a poor fit.

I'm hoping after years of seeing this strategy play out badly the club will try something different this off season.

We've tried twice recently with O'Driscoll and Rypstra, hope that means we're really considering what to do with that role going forward.

I'll go all Chuck Norris on our list management team if we don't pick Hannaford when he's there. I haven't been more invested in a player since Ed Richards because most importantly I think he will be the best player available and on top of that he fits our needs to tee. If we do pass on him at 17, I really hope it's a Naughton/Richards situation and he slips through to 25.
I asked a question a few days ago about him but no one answered. Just over half way through the season he was doing good, but not great. Some areas he could have done with better numbers. But stuff like his tackling numbers were elite. Wasn't in a few top 30 rankings and did he not get a combine invite? Then suddenly he explodes with an impressive final few weeks. Disposals and goal numbers shoot right up. Suddenly a potential top 20 chance.

My concern is. Are you confident enough that the last few weeks were not a flash compared to the rest of his career? I mean even the worst players can have a hot patch. My concern is if we draft him, which version are we getting? The one in the last few weeks, of the one for the season and a half before that?

I rate and want him with our pick as much. Just want to make sure that if we draft him, that he can live up to those last few weeks at the next level.

Last edited:
I asked a question a few days ago about him but no one answered. Just over half way through the season he was doing good, but not great. Some areas he could have done with better numbers. But stuff like his tackling numbers were elite. Wasn't in a few top 30 rankings and didn't he not get a combine invite initially? Then suddenly he explodes with an impressive final few weeks. Disposals and goal numbers shoot right up. Suddenly a potential top 20 chance.

My concern is. Are you confident enough that the last few weeks were not a flash compared to the rest of his career? I mean even the worst players can have a hot patch. My concern is if we draft him, which version are we getting? The one in the last few weeks, of the one for the season and a half before that?

I rate and want him with our pick as much. Just want to make sure that if we draft him, that he can live up to those last few weeks at the next level.
Earlier in the season he was been played as a half back and later in the year he got switched to playing as a small forward and that’s when his form turned around

Earlier in the season he was been played as a half back and later in the year he got switched to playing as a small forward and that’s when his form turned around
That would explain some things. Though I haven't watched any under 1818sthis year compared to other years as I am always asleep for night shift all weekend. Rely more on scouting reports and some watchers in here.

But hopefully those last few weeks are big enough a sample for the clubs to have confidence in. But he does seem pretty all rounded compared to other players in a similar mould.

We've tried twice recently with O'Driscoll and Rypstra, hope that means we're really considering what to do with that role going forward.
Agreed. It's promising but early days.

Both were free hits. O'Driscoll looked like a savvy speculator pick in the late 50s. Rypstra was of course a mid-season pick occupying a vacancy for no more than six months if we didn't want to keep him. Sadly neither worked out, with injuries playing a big part, although I suspect Rypstra didn't quite have the talent needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back