Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
I wasn’t given a name sorry. I have no idea who it is. I like the look of Lachlan Blakiston at East Fremantle though. 24 years old and 204cm, having a really good year.

I might not have worded my post very well, but to be clear, the way I took the comment was that it is a back up ruck. So someone who can play if Gawn isn’t available. We aren’t looking at the 2 ruck combo again as far as I understand.

That's the Sharks player? I mean he does fit the bill.

That's the Sharks player? I mean he does fit the bill.
Yeh that’s him.

He’s the type of player we should have got last year in my opinion. Just go and get the best mature age state league ruckman that we can find.

We were really lucky that max only missed a few games this year - but I think we probably rushed him back because we didn’t have another option.

Only Melbourne could be "very happy" with a backup ruck. Sounds like we have a massive trade period ahead if thats a headline.
So hard to get excited. We ended up going 1-1 without max and it's not like he isn't still going to come back too early from any injuries he picks up or stops playing through niggles...

I'm ok with a young development ruck who has No1 ruck potential as all eggs in Verrall bucket is not a good idea. Max can't play forever.

If it is an old second ruck as just a backup and place holder for a couple of years than I'll just about spew.

We needs mids, running defenders, small fwds. Pretty much any combination of speed, agility, dare and kicking skills.

Honestly pretty grim if we go into next year with Trac Oliver Viney.
I didn’t post it because I didn’t think it was worth it, but the other thing I got was that Oliver simply stuffed his preseason up and was never able to make up the ground.

The club think he’s ready to have a really big crack at it for next year.

If he does come back and get himself close to his best, then I don’t have a problem with that midfield - we just need some run in there as well, with Rivers, Windsor and maybe McVee.

I didn’t post it because I didn’t think it was worth it, but the other thing I got was that Oliver simply stuffed his preseason up and was never able to make up the ground.

The club think he’s ready to have a really big crack at it for next year.

If he does come back and get himself close to his best, then I don’t have a problem with that midfield - we just need some run in there as well, with Rivers, Windsor and maybe McVee.
I just don't get why the club chose to rush him back and play him through injury if that was their view.

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Oliver has a little bit of a bounce-back year next year. Not to his previous level, but certainly an improvement.

But that doesn't change the fact that our starting midfield is woefully unbalanced. The game is going the way of small, zippy midfielders who break lines and damage with ball in hand.

Meanwhile, the four main midfielders we use (Oliver, Trac, Viney, Sparrow) are all big-bodied brutes who mostly lack pace and can't kick.

Something has to give. We've got Rivers, Windsor, McVee, Pickett, Tholstrup and the incoming Pick 5 who should all be features of the midfield moving forward, so that core group needs breaking up (Sparrow to Casey, Trac forward more, Viney to play more accountable defensive forward roles, Oliver to purely focus on being an extractor etc).

But that level of innovation is probably too hard for Goodwin. If (when) we line up with that core group at the opening centre bounce next year, I'll spew.

Now there’s been a few delistings it’s time for Tim Lamb to do what he does 2nd best and rummage through other club’s bins for some recruits. Tom Campbell, Aiden Begg or possibly both would be a terrific backup rucks and could join the likes of Verrall and Fullarton at Casey whether Max Gawn is available or not. Riley Bonner and Nick Hind would add to our collection of 637 halfbacks and be the Australia’s Choice Cola to Dan Houston’s Coke. Speaking of Coke we can bolster our midfield with the one two punch of Seb Ross and Tarryn Thomas. Now that Petracca has signed on, it’s clear that our culture is strong enough to take on Thomas.

Then, Tim Lamb can celebrate what he’s good at and hand out some long term deals. Sign up Verrall for 5 years, Jefferson for 6 and Sparrow til 2031.

I just don't get why the club chose to rush him back and play him through injury if that was their view.
To keep him busy and focused I reckon (not saying I agree with the approach) - when not playing last year he seemed to go off the rails even worse.

Get the off-field and mindset stuff right. Exposing him onfield really hit home how important preseason is to building a base, even more so now than previous years with speed of game and quicker ball up times. Knock some of the arrogance out of him - other mids were literally toying with him this year. Laughing at him. Embarrassing him. He is a very competitive - I'm actually starting to think this might have been the best thing for him if he can stay focused and motivated.

He could easily do with dropping 10kg of dead weight through his legs and core without losing his ability to win contest but massively improve his speed and endurance.

Clayton at his peak was much leaner and was deceptively quick. When he started driving his legs out of contests towards goals, kicking more (not that panicked around the body shit while running the wrong way), it opened up the play for others. There was a reason why he was tagged heavily every week instead of Trac - think about that for a sec. Trac was always more dangerous, kicked more goals but Oliver was just so dominant that every opposition coach had to put someone on him first.

Now there’s been a few delistings it’s time for Tim Lamb to do what he does 2nd best and rummage through other club’s bins for some recruits. Tom Campbell, Aiden Begg or possibly both would be a terrific backup rucks and could join the likes of Verrall and Fullarton at Casey whether Max Gawn is available or not. Riley Bonner and Nick Hind would add to our collection of 637 halfbacks and be the Australia’s Choice Cola to Dan Houston’s Coke. Speaking of Coke we can bolster our midfield with the one two punch of Seb Ross and Tarryn Thomas. Now that Petracca has signed on, it’s clear that our culture is strong enough to take on Thomas.

Then, Tim Lamb can celebrate what he’s good at and hand out some long term deals. Sign up Verrall for 5 years, Jefferson for 6 and Sparrow til 2031.
He will prob just be lazy and trade everything to bring in Darcy as he has already been signed on until 2030.

2 birds 1 stone - long contract and high chance of being medically retired well before it ends.

To keep him busy and focused I reckon (not saying I agree with the approach) - when not playing last year he seemed to go off the rails even worse.

Get the off-field and mindset stuff right. Exposing him onfield really hit home how important preseason is to building a base, even more so now than previous years with speed of game and quicker ball up times. Knock some of the arrogance out of him - other mids were literally toying with him this year. Laughing at him. Embarrassing him. He is a very competitive - I'm actually starting to think this might have been the best thing for him if he can stay focused and motivated.

He could easily do with dropping 10kg of dead weight through his legs and core without losing his ability to win contest but massively improve his speed and endurance.

Clayton at his peak was much leaner and was deceptively quick. When he started driving his legs out of contests towards goals, kicking more (not that panicked around the body shit while running the wrong way), it opened up the play for others. There was a reason why he was tagged heavily every week instead of Trac - think about that for a sec. Trac was always more dangerous, kicked more goals but Oliver was just so dominant that every opposition coach had to put someone on him first.

I don't doubt he 'could' get back to his previous levels, but his lack of competitiveness this year really disappointed me and made me wonder if he just doesn't give a **** at all now. There is a difference between being unfit and genuinely not trying, he was doing the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly, I suspect that they thought it was more important to have him in the routine and playing regularly, rather than risk him going off the rails again if we left him out.

It's an admirable goal but it also isn't a sustainable holding pattern for the club to maintain. Basically putting one player above the rest of the team.

Another year like this essentially makes him worthless as a trade option and dead weight for the remainder of his career.

I don't doubt he 'could' get back to his previous levels, but his lack of competitiveness this year really disappointed me and made me wonder if he just doesn't give a **** at all now. There is a difference between being unfit and genuinely not trying, he was doing the latter.
I think it was more insane levels of arrogance, thought he was so good that he could get away with being unfit and just turn it on when required. Change of pace in the game become a force multiplier.

I think he gave up because nothing he tried worked, he was just so far off the pace, so unfit and that was leading to niggling injuries that compounded it all.

I think it was more insane levels of arrogance, thought he was so good that he could get away with being unfit and just turn it on when required. Change of pace in the game become a force multiplier.

I think he gave up because nothing he tried worked, he was just so far off the pace, so unfit and that was leading to niggling injuries that compounded it all.

I get what you're saying, just the competitive animal that he was debut-2022 made me think you never really lose that appetite unless you completely stop giving a shit. Like Viney is past it now but he is still having a crack every week.

The small amount of delistings and the contracts being extended tells me the club are happy with where the list is at and looking to minimise list turnover this off season

The small amount of delistings and the contracts being extended tells me the club are happy with where the list is at and looking to minimise list turnover this off season
Have patience Mich

A "Do something Tim Lamb" on September 1st. Perhaps the earliest yet?

The season ended on a bit of a down note for Josh and his Eastern team as they fell away dramatically in the final quarter to lose in the Wild Card round to the Knights. It was a wild and windy day in Ballarat, and the intensity of the game was high, those two things combining to turn the game into a scrap with effective disposal at a premium. Smillie's natural instinct to take the game on with attack minded decisions caused him to turn the ball over on a number of occasions by hand and foot. He was still an influence at stoppage however, and had some highlight worthy moments including an unbelievable goal from an impossible angle.

Hi all ... I come in peace ... just wondering what your thoughts for your pick 5?

Do you look for a mid to learn under and eventually replace Petracca, Oliver, Viney and co ...... or maybe a key back like Trainor to replace May (33 in Jan) & Lever (29 in March)?

There is talk you might be looking for another forward but with Fritsch, Petty and a developing Van Rooyen, Turner & Jefferson it seems you are quite well stocked there

As said .. come in peace... just trying to get a supporters angle on your 1st round pick

Cheers!!

The season ended on a bit of a down note for Josh and his Eastern team as they fell away dramatically in the final quarter to lose in the Wild Card round to the Knights. It was a wild and windy day in Ballarat, and the intensity of the game was high, those two things combining to turn the game into a scrap with effective disposal at a premium. Smillie's natural instinct to take the game on with attack minded decisions caused him to turn the ball over on a number of occasions by hand and foot. He was still an influence at stoppage however, and had some highlight worthy moments including an unbelievable goal from an impossible angle.

Do I really need to watch game #8 of Smilie? I think your description of this game is just more of the same issues I already have with him.

Slide him down your draft board noob. If he top 10 he's too high.

Watched it for the goal, pretty insane.

The clearance at 2:38 is good use of his size, first time I think I've actually seen him use his size to his advantage like that.

3:36 is straight out of the Oliver playbook, uncontested mark, run yourself into trouble, blast a ****ing horrible kick. 😂

Do I really need to watch game #8 of Smilie? I think your description of this game is just more of the same issues I already have with him.

Slide him down your draft board noob. If he top 10 he's too high.
You're a human born with free will, and I haven't been made a moderator yet so I can't use those omnipotent powers to force you to watch.

However, I think you're very much incorrect if you think Smillie will be sliding out of the top 10. There will be a number of teams that covet his size, agility and clean hands. Feel free to give me the "I told you so" if it happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Ah-Mu? Not For You ❌️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back