Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
What had been reported is he's not an NGA player, he's just been training with the academy kids. I have no idea why he's not an NGA player though.

ChatGPT said the below when I asked if Samoan players would be eligible for NGA.

No, Samoan players are not currently included as Next Generation Academy (NGA) players in the AFL. The Next Generation Academies are designed to develop young talent from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds, including Indigenous Australians and multicultural communities. However, the specific eligibility for NGA players is based on the player’s location and cultural background, particularly targeting those with Indigenous heritage or who come from countries that are underrepresented in the AFL.

Samoan players are considered part of the Pacific Islander community, which is generally not specifically targeted by the NGA programs. Therefore, Samoan players do not automatically qualify as NGA players unless they meet other criteria, such as living within the designated NGA zones set by AFL clubs or having another multicultural background that fits the program’s eligibility criteria.

However, Pacific Islander players, including Samoans, can still pursue careers in the AFL through traditional pathways such as school competitions, state leagues, and regular talent identification programs.

Think one aspect that has kind of been missed in all the discussions about our culture is that it seems like a lot of our players don't really get along or like each other very much.

There's something to be said for Petracca's complaints about his teammates not checking in on him.

I remember there was an incident in either 2022 or 23, one of Collingwood's players went down, the stretcher came out and before it drove away every Collingwood player was around it showing some love for their fallen teammate.

I don't feel like we really have that. Instead we have players getting into fights at restaurants and ratting on each other to the media.
And when out heart and soul player with a history of head injuries get concussed with a shirtfront early in a big final only one player remonstrates. Next time we play that team our players are buddy buddy with the offender shaking hands, back slapping and all smiles.

Culture.

There's probably a whole host of things but I don't get much of a sense of camaraderie from the group at all, think we put a lot of time into team-building stuff like that in 2020-21 and basically treated as 'jobs done' ever since.
Probably helped that they were stuck in hubs with no-one else for company. Didn't really have a choice.

Interesting.

He’s an unrestricted FA, FWIW.

Struggled early in the year then had a spell in the VFL and returned and finished the year strongly. Including his highest rated game of his career.

I dare say we have a 1 year deal on the table, but with all of King, Caminiti, Sharman, Owens and Wood as other marking target options up forward, there won’t be room for all of them and Tim, so we’d understandably prioritise the younger guys over him.
Makes sense you'd be happy for him to look elsewhere. Let's just say one of his family members was happy to tell me all about it a number of weeks ago. Supposedly not happy with Goddard or what the Saints were offering. Was adamant the Dees were happy to put a 2 year contract in front of him, while a couple of other clubs were very interested as well. Sounds like he could be on the move.

i think he's at least earned this extension unlike some others at the club. Will most likely be top 5 at the bnf as well. Paper thin in key position spots, i dont mind TMac getting another year. Hopefully Hore gets an extension as well. With Riv and hopefully McVee getting more midfield time, i reckon Hore might be needed next year.

Sigh, not surprising but lining up for another year of Petty and Turner as a KPFs. :rolleyes:

I don't mind us keeping tmac for another year but yep we will definitely go with this again.

We are a lock for bottom 6 next year and good chance it is lower. It'll need a 2013 style meltdown with the clubs existence on the line to get any change ffs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think he's at least earned this extension unlike some others at the club. Will most likely be top 5 at the bnf as well. Paper thin in key position spots, i dont mind TMac getting another year. Hopefully Hore gets an extension as well. With Riv and hopefully McVee getting more midfield time, i reckon Hore might be needed next year.
Agree, with our culture we have to have at least one Hore on our list next year.

Happy to have TMac get another year. One of the few players who can actually say they played above our expectations this year.

There was also a period in the year when he was on fire, intercepting everything and was biting off the kick into the middle and more aggressive kicks in general - often not going back on his mark to keep the ball moving quicker.

I'm happy to resign anyone who has the balls to buck the trend of long down the line.

Agree on T Mac, he has earnt it. Hopefully it doesn't prevent Petty or Turner moving back, but T Mac as cheap depth is a good move.

Hore was pretty ordinary at afl love most of the year tho. Much prefer it if we played Howes or AMW in that role moving forward tho.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nothing's gonna change on field. I can already tell.
It's embarrassing, no honest assessments of where we are at, just desperately trying to stay relevant. We can't attract anyone good, let's bring back guys who might help us finish 10th at best rather than getting younger.

Should be moving Petty and Turner back and pumping games into Jefferson this year. All season long from round 1. It's not about competing anymore, it should be about finding out who we have for the future.

Why is there an assumption riv and Mcvee are playing more midfield next year, we have the worlds most boring coach and we still have Oliver and Viney who play 90% inside mid.

Riv showed enough as a mid to suggest he should flourish there after a preseason in that role - he had some great moments but some down games too. But enough to show he should be kept there. Especially if Trac plays more forward 🤞

Re McVee, I don't get the desire to play him as a mid. He's so exceptional down back that it's much smarter to let him master that role. Didn't show a heap in the couple of games he got mid time.

Riv showed enough as a mid to suggest he should flourish there after a preseason in that role - he had some great moments but some down games too. But enough to show he should be kept there. Especially if Trac plays more forward 🤞

Re McVee, I don't get the desire to play him as a mid. He's so exceptional down back that it's much smarter to let him master that role. Didn't show a heap in the couple of games he got mid time.

I think Riv was fine but probably disappointed a little with how he played there. Didn't look as natural as others. He only played because Oliver torched his career, it'll be back to Oliver and Viney mostly there with Trac 50% and then a handful of minutes to Windsor, Koz Salem etc

It's embarrassing, no honest assessments of where we are at, just desperately trying to stay relevant. We can't attract anyone good, let's bring back guys who might help us finish 10th at best rather than getting younger.
Let's add Daniel an Membrey to the 14th placed team and then bash our head against a brick wall

Why is there an assumption riv and Mcvee are playing more midfield next year, we have the worlds most boring coach and we still have Oliver and Viney who play 90% inside mid.
Agree, I'm not even convinced they are the midfield of the future either. Neither have that zip and pop agility. I can't see both of them in there next year - prob just Rivers in the mix.

I would be interested in seeing Rivers do the ANB role. He would super dangerous around the 50-80m range from goal with his ability to kick long and penetrating kicks to get over the back. Could play a defensive stopper role on dangerous half backs. Has the size to take a mark. Would be an awkward matchup for opposition.

Should be moving Petty and Turner back and pumping games into Jefferson this year. All season long from round 1. It's not about competing anymore, it should be about finding out who we have for the future.
Let's seperate the hate at the way we play, lambs contract and trading for a minute.

Do you think we should have given TMac another year? Why/why not?

Let's seperate the hate at the way we play, lambs contract and trading for a minute.

Do you think we should have given TMac another year? Why/why not?
Tmac can have the year, we can just see that he'll be the 3rd key defender and our boring as **** forward line will stay the same

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Ah-Mu? Not For You ❌️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back