Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
So stupid. Size means nothing for contested footy it's about heart and the speed of mind. Especially with the game opening up more the classic inside mid isn't needed as much
I dont even care if he never becomes good at winning contested ball, feed it to him on the outside. Its like worrying about Sheezel not being a contested beast. Who gives a shit.

People worry about his ability to win contested ball and hes a bit on the smaller size I think. Things I couldn't give a flying **** about.
He's also not an elite level athlete. My personal rubric is that a prospect can't be small and slow and have poor disposal. Its the reason why Will Phillips has struggled, and I was lower on Jhye Clark than others.

Murphy Reid has elite disposal skills of course, so he doesn't fall foul of my formula, but being small and not elite pace does come with its own challenges for him to overcome, which I'm confident he will.

I dont even care if he never becomes good at winning contested ball, feed it to him on the outside. Its like worrying about Sheezel not being a contested beast. Who gives a shit.
Or warner, gulden, butters, Daniels, Whitfield etc. super overrated skill

He's also not an elite level athlete. My personal rubric is that a prospect can't be small and slow and have poor disposal. Its the reason why Will Phillips has struggled, and I was lower on Jhye Clark than others.

Murphy Reid has elite disposal skills of course, so he doesn't fall foul of my formula, but being small and not elite pace does come with its own challenges for him to overcome, which I'm confident he will.
Yeah fair enough. I was much lower on Clark also, he was a get ball player who had average disposal to me. Cant say I watched Phillips pre draft. The difference between Clark and Reid (other than disposal) is Reid has far more strings to his bow and the processing. If you can process things as quickly as him it makes up a lot for an issues he might have with pace. He moves smooth and is rarely rushed or pinged HTB, got a sixth sense for where the pressure is around him and what he needs to do with the ball.

Just on the size thing, I wouldn't place too much emphasis on that talk myself.

I think its worth considering the evenness and strength of this pool. A lot of draft watchers are searching around for small points of difference to separate these excellent and very evenly matched prospects from each other, especially at the top end. I think if someone uses size as a differentiating factor to rank Smillie (as an example) over Reid its probably less about them knocking Reid as a prospect, and more born out of the necessity to slot these guys into a top 10 ranking somehow.

Being ranked 5 or 7 or even 10+ in this draft pool is no mark of disrespect.

Just a fun little game – who's draft profile do we think this is:

POSITION: Forward/Midfielder

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "Crafty midfielder/forward who loves to take the game on and can carve up the opposition with his attacking creativity.”

Having put together a sensational NAB League finals series which ended in premiership glory last year, XXX consolidated his high standing among the Chargers' raft of elite Draft prospects. The diminutive midfielder/forward is a high impact player in attack, able to tear games open with his magnificent evasion and ability to hit targets by foot in full flight. Most of his work as a bottom-ager was done at half-forward, where XXX worked hard to find space and receive in all the right areas to not only set up scoring opportunities for his teammates, but also for himself. The prospect booted six goals in his seven NAB League games last year, including two in the Grand Final to set the tone for his side. He also ran out for Caulfield Grammar during the APS football season, with his overall form enough to earn passage into the Vic Metro Academy. While he has not been able to show his wares on-field this year, XXX earned a National Combine invite and remains an exciting talent destined for the elite level. Something which aids his burning efficiency is his poise amid chaos. He is one of the most agile players in the draft pool, proving as much with a preseason agility test time of 7.97 seconds. Most importantly, he translates those numbers onto the field as he wheels into attack, able to gather the ball cleanly and work his way out of tight spots with incredible lateral movement. High-level smarts and awareness also come to the fore in these situations, as he has the vision to pick out teammates by hand in a flash while also knowing just where his opponents are coming from. Clubs will undoubtedly value the immeasurable traits he provides, such as x-factor and character, while also rating the more visible attributes such as his clean skills, work-rate, and overall attacking acumen.
FWIW, I like Reid. Just a fun exercise.

We have a habit of over correcting/compensating and liking to zig when every other club zags so expect us to draft Armstrong at 5 and Jaull at 25

Our tall forward stocks at Casey will be Fullerton, Jefferson, Armstrong, Derksen, Kentfield and Jaull.

Meanwhile all other clubs will focus on fast high pressure small forwards.

We have a habit of over correcting/compensating and liking to zig when every other club zags so expect us to draft Armstrong at 5 and Jaull at 25

Our tall forward stocks at Casey will be Fullerton, Jefferson, Armstrong, Derksen, Kentfield and Jaull.

Haven't you constantly been pumping up JT over the past few weeks? Make up your mind lol

Interestingly ESPN rankings came out today too. Reid is at 16!

Seems like such an even draft this year, especially at that top-end.

Makes me wonder if we'd consider trading down with pick 5, for something like picks 8 + 12 or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Think to get 2 of the top 20 would be fantastic.

Reid and a Berry type would be immense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All are not up to the big league.

All are not up to the big league.
I thought it was harsh when you ruled out Kynan Brown after eight minutes of game time, but ruling out potential top 5-10 picks before you've seen them play is next level lol

Interestingly ESPN rankings came out today too. Reid is at 16!

Seems like such an even draft this year, especially at that top-end.

Makes me wonder if we'd consider trading down with pick 5, for something like picks 8 + 12 or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah, I've been throwing that out there a bit for this draft. It is just so even and so midfielder stacked as a double whammy.

Biggest reason is that I'll back JT in against the other recruiters. Genuine chance that someone he rates top 5 slides back to 8-10, then gets another he rates top 10 slide out. Whether a other club wants to do it though is another question and probably depends on list spots and what happens trade week.

Tigers are likely going to have so many top 20 picks that they get in their own way trying to draft a range of players rather than best available. This then can sometimes throw other clubs picks for a loop. Just look back at the compromised GWS and Suns drafts.

Reckon this will be a big draft for clubs trading up or sliding back on actual draft night too.

My son is at Caulfield Grammar with Murphy Reid and my step son played at Sandy Dragons with him the last two years. No doubt he is very talented but I do worry about how some of his strengths will translate at AFL level. He's a bit one-paced for my liking.

Personally I'd be happier with Smith, Lalor, O'Sullivan or Draper. Very much hoping we also sneak in another top 20 pick as well - so many potential guns we could get, even with the ANB pick if that's our draft hand.

Just further to pick splitting and this year's draft. Hopefully we are sniffing around gold coast picks as they need points this year and next. Might be able to package up some of those 38-61 picks or future 2nd-4th to get that pick 20. Maybe even 12 so they can circumvent pies making that the centre piece of the John Noble deal.

Also be watching the tigers and Freo closely. Tigers won't want everything in this year's draft, they would want a couple of future picks and that's where we could get involved i.e. future first and second rounder for 10 and 16 from freo this year or something like that.

Just further to pick splitting and this year's draft. Hopefully we are sniffing around gold coast picks as they need points this year and next. Might be able to package up some of those 38-61 picks or future 2nd-4th to get that pick 20. Maybe even 12 so they can circumvent pies making that the centre piece of the John Noble deal.

Also be watching the tigers and Freo closely. Tigers won't want everything in this year's draft, they would want a couple of future picks and that's where we could get involved i.e. future first and second rounder for 10 and 16 from freo this year or something like that.
100% agree. Hope we're targeting pick 12 which they might want to trade out so it doesn't get chewed up if Lombard gets an early bid.

Pick 12 - 1268 points
Our picks - 25 (ANB), 38, 45 are worth 1568 - or 38, 45 and 50 are worth
Might get a future pick coming back our way or something

100% agree. Hope we're targeting pick 12 which they might want to trade out so it doesn't get chewed up if Lombard gets an early bid.

Pick 12 - 1268 points
Our picks - 25 (ANB), 38, 45 are worth 1568 - or 38, 45 and 50 are worth
Might get a future pick coming back our way or something
It's normal to pay a bit of a premium when moving up, so 300 points wouldn't amount to much coming back at all I wouldn't think. I do like the idea of moving up to pick 12 if possible though.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Ah-Mu? Not For You ❌️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back