List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – big fish Tom Campbell in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Alex Neal-Bullen (Traded)
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:
  • Tom Campbell (Free Agent)
  • Pick 28* (Trade)

Last edited:
Greens tweeting was fine. People sook when Roffey was absent and now they sook when Green isn’t absent and stands up for the club. Can’t win with some people.

Hurts nobody his tweets except journos feelings. Who gives a shit seriously.
Fail Novak Djokovic GIF by Australian Open

I love how everyone puts their faith in Jason Taylor and early picks and doesn’t think he makes a mistake. But he has missed on a few first rounds picks over the years.

Sam Weideman pick 9
Matt Jefferson pick 15
Bailey laurie pick 22

Plus questions over last year taking Tholstrup over Darcy Wilson. I know it’s early but we could of had two goal kicking wingman that run all day for the next 10 years in one draft.

I do rate his recruiting and overall he has had more wins then losses but I think everyone on here gets carried away with his recruiting.

I love how everyone puts their faith in Jason Taylor and early picks and doesn’t think he makes a mistake. But he has missed on a few first rounds picks over the years.

Sam Weideman pick 9
Matt Jefferson pick 15
Bailey laurie pick 22

Plus questions over last year taking Tholstrup over Darcy Wilson. I know it’s early but we could of had two goal kicking wingman that run all day for the next 10 years in one draft.

I do rate his recruiting and overall he has had more wins then losses but I think everyone on here gets carried away with his recruiting.
This is what I think so you mustn't know **** all about footy

Sam Weideman pick 9
Matt Jefferson pick 15
Bailey laurie pick 22

Who is saying he's never made a mistake?

Sam Weideman pick 9
Matt Jefferson pick 15
Bailey laurie pick 22

Every recruiter has misses. Go through any team, ever. To pick out those 3 actually shows how good he has been.

Weideman was a massive mistake.
Jefferson too early to tell but looks unlikely. But we were trying to trade up in that draft because we didn’t think there would be much at that pick. Not a lot of others after he was taken. Hopefully he comes good anyway.
Bailey Laurie we were going to take Max Holmes as a smokey. Would have been one of JT’s best picks ever at that pick. Then had to pick someone - who would you have taken instead of him?

This is what I think so you mustn't know **** all about footy
His had over 10 drafts and only selected 3 talls that are any good.
Luke Jackson- no longer at the club
Harrison Petty
JVR

His good at finding talent with later picks but his never been able to find enough talls. 10 drafts should lead you have more then 2 winning talls on your list .

Sam Weideman pick 9
Matt Jefferson pick 15
Bailey laurie pick 22

Sure, that's three average misses. I'd argue Weideman was the only straight up 'bad' pick. Take a look at the guys drafted after Jefferson – Weddle and Jones are good, but what else is there?:

1000019375.jpg
And after Laurie – Gulden was an academy pick, hardly anybody has had an impact besides him:

1000019376.jpg

And then consider the 'hits':
  • Oliver at 4 was a 'reach'
  • Fritsch at 31
  • Petty at 37
  • Jackson at 3 was a 'reach'
  • Pickett at 12 was a 'reach'
  • Rivers at 32
  • JVR at 19
  • McVee as a rookie
  • Windsor at 7 was a 'reach'

Way too early to be critical of Tholstrup. Showed enough this year for a first-year teens pick.

JT is unequivocally the highest performing member of our football department. More than happy to put faith in him.

Sam Weideman pick 9
Matt Jefferson pick 15
Bailey laurie pick 22

No recruiting team has gotten every pick right over a 5 year period.

I'm more worried about how this has somehow turned into a 'Superdraft' and 'Generational Draft' in the past week. It wasn't seen that way all year and just seems like a positive momentum thing.

His had over 10 drafts and only selected 3 talls that are any good.
Luke Jackson- no longer at the club
Harrison Petty
JVR

His good at finding talent with later picks but his never been able to find enough talls. 10 drafts should lead you have more then 2 winning talls on your list .
I'm pretty consistent on this. He's not a top 3 recruiter but he's good enough He's definitely not bad. Easily top 10 and without looking too hard at it could be around the 5th best.

I'm pretty consistent on this. He's not a top 3 recruiter but he's good enough He's definitely not bad. Easily top 10 and without looking too hard at it could be around the 5th best.
I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to say they have faith in the 5th best drafter in the league.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to say they have faith in the 5th best drafter in the league.
I don't have unequivocal faith in him but he gets it right more than he doesn't. I don't agree with the best in the business that some say is all. He's safe with top 10 picks, not that he picks safe but he's got a good strike rate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm more worried about how this has somehow turned into a 'Superdraft' and 'Generational Draft' in the past week. It wasn't seen that way all year and just seems like a positive momentum thing.
The talk last year was that this draft was always meant to be better than last year. Thats why people were critical last year trading up and we have Gold Coast equivalent to an extra second round pick last year ( Tim lamb special)
Lots of people where saying we should have being trying to move that pick to this year rather then move up the draft board and loose out on points aswell.

Tbh the draft has mostly been rated all year as being fairly even/deep with no clear top group. For comparison last year was seen as a shallow draft with a very very good top end.

I don't have unequivocal faith in him but he gets it right more than he doesn't. I don't agree with the best in the business that some say is all. He's safe with top 10 picks, not that he picks safe but he's got a good strike rate
But do you agree over 10 drafts we should have had more talls that are successful on our list then petty and jvr.

But do you agree over 10 drafts we should have had more talls that are successful on our list then petty and jvr.
Depends. For JT to be the best in the league yeah I think we should have found one or two more, for most clubs though it's ****ing impossible to find decent talls anywhere. Only hawthorn seem to have ripped good ones outta no where and even they are spending draft and money on Battle and Barass

The talk last year was that this draft was always meant to be better than last year. Thats why people were critical last year trading up and we have Gold Coast equivalent to an extra second round pick last year ( Tim lamb special)
Lots of people where saying we should have being trying to move that pick to this year rather then move up the draft board and loose out on points aswell.
Being better than last year is hardly "generational or superdraft". More depth but less top end talent.

I like this draft, I like the evenness and confusion about who goes where as a good recruiter becomes more important. I just think they have got carried away with the narrative.

Without sifting through previous drafts I would say that most talls fail. You get some stars at the very pointy end some years i.e. top 5-6 and then some project players as late picks that work out. Lot of fails in-between.

When I think about list management strategies. I am way more in favour of us grabbing more top picks and letting him go to work than I am trading those top picks to try and top up on senior players. I'm not really against our pick swaps and future pick trading because more often than not we get a strong return on investment.

I kind of agree, prob 4th or 5th best which is still pretty good.

Who's your top 3? Geelong for sure.

Essendon, Saints got to be fighting it out at the bottom.

I kind of agree, prob 4th or 5th best which is still pretty good.

Who's your top 3? Geelong for sure.

Essendon, Saints got to be fighting it out at the bottom.
In no order mine would be Geelong, Hawks, Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – big fish Tom Campbell in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back