Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Oh that is silly.

He had a moment. So has Trac pretty recently. These are young men who might be more than a bit immature given their background.

The conversation about whether we should trade Oliver is reasonable. The conversation about him being a fat loser is offensive. To me at least. He’s not played well. He might or might not do so again. But he has won 2 coaches awards and 4 blueys and I don’t think you do that without hard work.

For me I just want him to get better and feel better. With or without football. Our club might not be the place for that, who knows?

Apologies for a post that you probably think worthy of demonland, but I am a snowflake and I have to do the best I can
especially chancing it in Hell.

I also reckon all the behind the scenes bullshit is partly why Viney is flirting with the idea of leaving - and no doubt a few others are considering going too.
I think the behind the scenes stuff has been going on for a few seasons.
... see the exit of past President.
... see the exit of a doctor.
... see the Petty issues wanting to get out.
... see the jSmith issue and emails.
... see the Viney issue now, Re the insulting contract being offered, to just about our own culture warrior.

This seems like a club who has gotten ahead of themselves off the field.

I would like to get all our administrators hair tested for drug use, before we enter into a new pre-season.

It's said, "the fish rots from the head".

Its not all his fault but I think he triggered the place to fall apart quicker than I thought it already was anyway. We both emailed Roffey at the start of the year because we were unhappy. Clubs been arrogant and poorly run for a little now, to think they could just drop an unfit Oliver into the side and carry him while we 'chased' a flag was utter incompetency.
Maybe you were talking to the big bad Wolf. Dressed up as Granny.?
It didnt help him, it didnt help the team. Hes run around looking like shit all year, hes not getting fit, hes playing through knee and hand problems while hes letting his teammates down. A strong club makes him train till hes ready, that gets him right and does the best for the team aswell.

The shit game plan, playing through injuries and entitlement all existed pre Oliver but hes been the catalyst to really bring it into focus.
:thumbsu:

Please for the love of god trade viney!
We need to get younger and more skilful in the middle.

Does everyone forget he cost us the final last year against Carlton because he couldn’t kick on his right foot or hit a target to ice the game.

Plus out mids of Trac ,Oliver and viney are to similar. Now we can add speed to our mids

Oh yeah plus if we terminate his contract then Geelong get him for free

It’s more that having the option to terminate gives the club leverage. I think it’s obvious no club would take on his current contract. So his trade value right now (including his contracted payments) is negative. If you have the option to terminate then you have a much better ability to negotiate as it’s no longer a burden if you can get rid of it at any time.

Btw I loved watching Oliver and wish him well but I don’t want him at Geelong. I like MFC. I just think it’s unfair that Melbourne get stuck paying his contract when he isn’t performing what I think should be his contractual duties.

It’s more that having the option to terminate gives the club leverage. I think it’s obvious no club would take on his current contract. So his trade value right now (including his contracted payments) is negative. If you have the option to terminate then you have a much better ability to negotiate as it’s no longer a burden if you can get rid of it at any time.

Btw I loved watching Oliver and wish him well but I don’t want him at Geelong. I like MFC. I just think it’s unfair that Melbourne get stuck paying his contract when he isn’t performing what I think should be his contractual duties.
Sure. You’re right there.

I suspect the club had to pick between a number of options, none of which were ideal. If we booted him we probably couldn’t find a buyer unless also paying a decent chunk of salary. If we terminated his contract on the basis of breach of contract, and were successful following an inevitable court case, he would lose his future payment but would absolutely be picked up in the draft for free. Knowing our luck, he would get back to his best and we would get nothing back.

We kept him, and I suspect are in a stand-by, holding brief while we work out whether he can get back to his former playing level or not. I hope he does, for us or someone else. I like him a lot but I have no idea where it goes from here.

I agree but at the same time I recall when I supervised this guy. Lovely bloke and good worker and basically a general asset for many years. Something weird happened and he was suddenly terrible. And the terrible bit dragged on and became hard work for everyone. If he had been there 3 months he would have crashed his probation and gone. But we all knew that he was good so gave some leeway, time and space, to see if he might recover.

It’s a roll of the dice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone please fill me in with macdonald andrew stuff? He was NGA and instead of being able to pick him we had to spend the pick somoene else, who did we get? Was it that Jefferson spud we took instead?
Jvr

Pretty sure West Coast got sued successfully after they sacked cousins.

I still think JVR will be a gun. It's looking less likely it will be for Melbourne, but that's too be expected.
I think they've gotta decide what they want him to be. He's not very good once the balls on the deck at all for a modern footballer, he's a very old school footballer.
I think they might need to add size to him and make him a more dangerous threat 1-1

I think they've gotta decide what they want him to be. He's not very good once the balls on the deck at all for a modern footballer, he's a very old school footballer.
I think they might need to add size to him and make him a more dangerous threat 1-1
One out in the goal square. He is strong enough now. Just needs everyone to piss off out of his way up there and not be made to ruck half the game.

I think my early comp to Hawkins is pretty much spot on, definitely not a Jack Riewoldt like some said.
I said Jack Riewoldt more because i thought he'd have to beat guys in the air with smarts not strength. I did say he's nothing like Riewoldt on the ground and I'll double down on that, JVRs terrible with the ball on the deck, I think we need to double down on his size.

I said Jack Riewoldt more because i thought he'd have to beat guys in the air with smarts not strength. I did say he's nothing like Riewoldt and I'll double down on that, JVRs terrible with the ball on the deck, I think we need to double down on his size.
Hawkins wasn't anything that special early just had a great team around him. Played some games in the ruck too, tracking very similar at the same age I reckon. He may never get to that level obviously coz the team is falling apart unlike with Hawkins and the coach hates scoring, also unlike with Hawkins.

Hawkins wasn't anything that good early just had a great team around him. Played some games in the ruck too, tracking very similar at the same age I reckon. He may never get to that level obviously coz the team is falling apart unlike with Hawkins and the coach hates scoring, also unlike with Hawkins.
Hawkins looked absolutely incredible against us right from the start. Remember watching and thinking Hawkins would dominate us for years to come.

Didn't really pan out like that but still had a brilliant career.

Hawkins wasn't anything that special early just had a great team around him. Played some games in the ruck too, tracking very similar at the same age I reckon. He may never get to that level obviously coz the team is falling apart unlike with Hawkins and the coach hates scoring, also unlike with Hawkins.
Hawkins kicked 6 against us in like his 7th game or something I reckon lol but yeah he struggled for a while until Geelong made him the man and gave him space to operate and use his craft. Until we play a different style JVR will never be better than an ok player.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Ah-Mu? Not For You ❌️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back