List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9, and big fishes Tom Campbell and Harry Sharp in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Alex Neal-Bullen (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Adam Tomlinson (Delisted)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)
  • Future First (Traded to Essendon)
  • Future Third (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Picks 40, 54, 65 (Traded to Essendon)
  • Pick 49 (Traded to Brisbane)
Confirmed ins:
  • Tom Campbell (Free Agent from St Kilda)
  • Pick 9 (Traded from Essendon)
  • Harry Sharp (Traded from Brisbane)
  • Future Third (Traded from Brisbane)
On-traded:
  • Pick 28 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)
  • Pick 46 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)
  • Future Third (from Essendon, to Brisbane)

Last edited by a moderator:
Three years (2025, 2026, 2027), but I get your point.

That being said, while he's banged up, his form has barely declined so not entirely unrealistic to think that he'll still be going for a while, especially since he missed so much footy early in his career.
Unlike other positions that rely on athleticism you can ruck as long as your body holds up. Height is all you need pretty much. I wouldn't expect any significant drop off.

Flagging we arnt looking to rebuild until Tasmania comes in by the sound of it.
Wait, so you think we should bring in an inexperienced ruck to help develop the young players that you would like to bring in?

Brilliant

jhong is perhaps more informed with this – do you think Verrall could realistically be the backup next year, or do you expect he'll still need another year of development?
I’m not jhong but I’ve seen a lot of Verrall this year.

He’d need a massive improvement over the pre-season IMO to be competitive in ruck contests at AFL level. He pretty much got slaughtered by any AFL level or fringe AFL level ruck this year.

He’s already decent at ground level for a ruck.

I’d see him more likely to play at AFL level in 2025 as a tall forward who spells Gawn for 5-10 minutes each quarter and also save JVR from that role.

I’m not jhong but I’ve seen a lot of Verrall this year.

He’d need a massive improvement over the pre-season IMO to be competitive in ruck contests at AFL level. He pretty much got slaughtered by any AFL level or fringe AFL level ruck this year.

He’s already decent at ground level for a ruck.

I’d see him more likely to play at AFL level in 2025 as a tall forward who spells Gawn for 5-10 minutes each quarter and also save JVR from that role.
Sorry, meant to tag you too.

Thanks for that – I haven't watched as much Casey as usual this year, but has he shown any forward craft to this point? Six goals in 26 games doesn't make for pretty reading, though I'm aware he's spent the majority of his time in the ruck.

jhong is perhaps more informed with this – do you think Verrall could realistically be the backup next year, or do you expect he'll still need another year of development?
Another year , don’t think he has the tank yet for AFL . Interested in Lampers opinion.

We need to at some point unless we can lure an experienced one over.
Sure.

Next year or even the year after might not be the right point.

Sorry, meant to tag you too.

Thanks for that – I haven't watched as much Casey as usual this year, but has he shown any forward craft to this point? Six goals in 26 games doesn't make for pretty reading, though I'm aware he's spent the majority of his time in the ruck.
6 goals 5 in 17 games this year. I’m surprised his goal tally was that low. Verrall looked pretty decent as a forward to my eyes. Kicked a few (not many clearly!) from ground level.

He and Fullarton more or less 50/50 ruck and forward this year when they both played.

Fingers crossed it's not too pricey, but tend to agree. He's someone who has earned the right to decide when to finish up, and his form is still excellent.

Do think it's a bit of a PR exercise after this week, but eh.
The last bit, the PR exercise, sounds well likely but I don’t mind it.

It’s been a shit of a week piled on a shit of a year. Having Max in my life for a bit longer is okay by me.

That last sentence sounds weird, but I think you know what I mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Max made sure to have "you cant throw me out in front of the camera's when the shit hits the fan more than 2 times a year" in his new contract
Yes. The guy has earned a break

OOC players end of year:
Tomlinson - he'll go
AMW (rookie) - keep
Brown - delist
Melksham - keep
Smith - delist
Schache - delist
KFW (rookie) - delist
K Brown (rookie) - keep
Hunter - delist
Hore (rookie) - keep
Sestan (rookie) - keep, but reckon club might cut him
Tmac - keep
Verrall (rookie) - keep

That would have us cutting six guys (Tomlinson/Brown/Smith/Schache/Hunter/Brayshaw) off the senior list, which means we have to replace them one way or another. We've got one 1st/one 2nd/two 3rds right now, ANB going is probably another 2nd but it is also a player we need to replace so we still need to put five more guys on the list.

I feel we'll push for two 2nds for ANB and also wouldn't be surprised if we trade out of next years draft and beef up our picks this year, that is something we've tried multiple times in the past. The other option would be splitting 6 into two later firsts, but it depends on who JT likes in the draft.

My ideal trade week:

ANB and a 3rd round pick for Adelaides 2nd this year and next
Oliver to Essendon for Wright and their 1st (This one is a pipe dream)
Somehow get Peatling from GWS not sure what we'd give up
Tomlinson to North for nothing significant

OOC players end of year:
Tomlinson - he'll go
AMW (rookie) - keep
Brown - delist
Melksham - keep
Smith - delist
Schache - delist
KFW (rookie) - delist
K Brown (rookie) - keep
Hunter - delist
Hore (rookie) - keep
Tmac - keep
Verrall (rookie) - keep

That would have us cutting six guys (Tomlinson/Brown/Smith/Schache/Hunter/Brayshaw) off the senior list, which means we have to replace them one way or another. We've got one 1st/one 2nd/two 3rds right now, ANB going is probably another 2nd but it is also a player we need to replace so we still need to put five more guys on the list.

I feel we'll push for two 2nds for ANB and also wouldn't be surprised if we trade out of next years draft and beef up our picks this year, that is something we've tried multiple times in the past. The other option would be splitting 6 into two later firsts, but it depends on who JT likes in the draft.

My ideal trade week:

I like it in theory. I think we will get a fair bit less for ANB despite his worth. The Oliver plan isn’t going to happen but you did say it was a pipe dream. I don’t want Peter Wright though.

OOC players end of year:
Tomlinson - he'll go
AMW (rookie) - keep
Brown - delist
Melksham - keep
Smith - delist
Schache - delist
KFW (rookie) - delist
K Brown (rookie) - keep
Hunter - delist
Hore (rookie) - keep
Tmac - keep
Verrall (rookie) - keep

My ideal trade week:

I'd be shocked if we got any more than a second for ANB.

I like it in theory. I think we will get a fair bit less for ANB despite his worth. The Oliver plan isn’t going to happen but you did say it was a pipe dream. I don’t want Peter Wright though.

Yeah ANB sucks because we're clearly fine with him going and normally you'd never get his value anyway in a trade, but now its even worse. Realistically we just get one 2nd round pick IMO

I'd be shocked if we got any more than a second for ANB.
I don’t really think we will get a second. He’s going to SA and we’ve released him. Our bargaining position is non existent.

We got a 30yo Lewis who had been in Hawthorns top five B&F for the past 6 or so years, and was second the year he got pushed to us. And we got him for diddly squat. I don’t see a second coming back for Nib, no matter what he is worth.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9, and big fishes Tom Campbell and Harry Sharp in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back