Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Or if a Clayton Oliver trade eventuates then using that early pick for Brayshaw potentially?
Best case scenario for an Oliver trade would be to Geelong for one late first rounder and us taking a third of his salary. Brayshaw would either cost pick 5 or a late first and future as a starting point imo.

It's an interesting one. Angus always seemed to absolutely love the club.

He was the glue guy, I think partly because of that love for the club. Has that soured after his injury, retirement and mental health decline? Does he get back involved at the club next year? I personally hope so.
I dont think being Gus' brother is enough for Andrew to say I want to play for Melbourne as things currently stand. If he was up for grabs he'd have far more stable clubs interested in him, star players dont seek drama.

It was kinda exciting wasn’t it? In a morbid way, I’d be open to more of it tbh.
Yeah it's weird, I don't think any other player requesting a trade could capture that mix of sadness that he would leave but excitement that the club might blow up. We might be chasing that high forever

The season ended on a bit of a down note for Josh and his Eastern team as they fell away dramatically in the final quarter to lose in the Wild Card round to the Knights. It was a wild and windy day in Ballarat, and the intensity of the game was high, those two things combining to turn the game into a scrap with effective disposal at a premium. Smillie's natural instinct to take the game on with attack minded decisions caused him to turn the ball over on a number of occasions by hand and foot. He was still an influence at stoppage however, and had some highlight worthy moments including an unbelievable goal from an impossible angle.

I'm not overwhelmed or underwhelmed - just whelmed.

Hi all ... I come in peace ... just wondering what your thoughts for your pick 5?

Do you look for a mid to learn under and eventually replace Petracca, Oliver, Viney and co ...... or maybe a key back like Trainor to replace May (33 in Jan) & Lever (29 in March)?

There is talk you might be looking for another forward but with Fritsch, Petty and a developing Van Rooyen, Turner & Jefferson it seems you are quite well stocked there

As said .. come in peace... just trying to get a supporters angle on your 1st round pick

Cheers!!

Speedy mid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think being Gus' brother is enough for Andrew to say I want to play for Melbourne as things currently stand. If he was up for grabs he'd have far more stable clubs interested in him, star players dont seek drama.
I don't think so either, not currently, might have been cherry on top previous years.

More wondering if with everything Angus has been through that he still feels the same way or not. Whether his opinion on Melbourne is still a net positive or actually works against us now.

The season ended on a bit of a down note for Josh and his Eastern team as they fell away dramatically in the final quarter to lose in the Wild Card round to the Knights. It was a wild and windy day in Ballarat, and the intensity of the game was high, those two things combining to turn the game into a scrap with effective disposal at a premium. Smillie's natural instinct to take the game on with attack minded decisions caused him to turn the ball over on a number of occasions by hand and foot. He was still an influence at stoppage however, and had some highlight worthy moments including an unbelievable goal from an impossible angle.

Seems like he gets impatient and takes things on to try and make something happen too much. Reckon he'll be the sort of player that cracks the shits when a hard tag is applied to him.

His best looks pretty good and I reckon he'll be one of those players that can play at the senior level immediately but his ceiling might be lower than others around him

This game from Murphy Reid was even better than the already impressive stats suggest. He proved his elite kicking skills by consistently hitting targets on a day that the wind was wreaking havoc with disposal. He managed to find space at times in a finals game where the pressure was ratcheted up several notches. He was swung forward in the final quarter and seemed to be involved in every score as the Dragons put the Jets to the sword.

This game from Murphy Reid was even better than the already impressive stats suggest. He proved his elite kicking skills by consistently hitting targets on a day that the wind was wreaking havoc with disposal. He managed to find space at times in a finals game where the pressure was ratcheted up several notches. He was swung forward in the final quarter and seemed to be involved in every score as the Dragons put the Jets to the sword.

Have really noticed his hands under pressure the past couple of games, outstanding for a guy people class an outside player. The more I watch the more I love him. I will be shattered if hes on the board and we draft someone else, exactly the sort of mid we desperately need.

Have really noticed his hands under pressure the past couple of games, outstanding for a guy people class an outside player. The more I watch the more I love him. I will be shattered if hes on the board and we draft someone else.
True, but I do think at times he gets a bit cute with his blind over the head handballs. They come off pretty often, but he will do them at times when it seems completely unnecessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but I do think at times he gets a bit cute with his blind over the head handballs. They come off pretty often, but he will do them at times when it seems completely unnecessary.
That can be coached

That can be coached
Yeah, meanwhile you cant coach the reaction time and ability to process things quickly like Reid has, you either have it or you dont.

The more I see the more I like. His quality traits stood out more in the higher pressure game. Time and space, vision, good decision maker, constantly looking to run and link up.

Exactly what we need. Think tigers will take Jagga, don't think north will take him. West coast? Maybe. Adelaide - unlikely they don't take their SA guy.

Are these kids projecting to be elite senior players? Or is it a weaker draft like when the top 3 was Mcgrath, Taranto, McCluggage?
Hard to really know but seems stronger than that. No generational talent type players. More even and deep though. maybe 2019 type draft.

2019 AFL draft

Recruiters have got a lot better at getting picks right over past 10 years (ignore COVID 2020).

Most drafts 4 of top 5 work out good but only 1-2 of next 5 (6-10) and then a couple from 10-20. A couple from 20-30 and 30-40 but crap shoot after that.

I think we will see 8-9 of the top 10 going on to be good to very good players and another 4-5 out of 10-20 before success chances level out again.

Don't think we will see a club completely changing their fortunes ala dogs taking Bont at pick 4 but a couple of middling first rounders together might I.e. port with Rozee and Butters picks 5 & 13 or Freo with young and serong at 7 & 8 (Henry 9). Not a draft like Cox, Perkins, Reid (8,9&10).

The strong wind made clean passages of play nearly impossible and turned most of this game into a scrap, but Langford thrives in that kind environment. He used his strength and physicality at the contest attacking the ball and the man in equal measure, at times he and James Barrett threatened to turn it into a boxing match. He found a stack of footy as he always does, and hit the scoreboard at crucial times to help his Stingrays to build a lead and take the victory.

The strong wind made clean passages of play nearly impossible and turned most of this game into a scrap, but Langford thrives in that kind environment. He used his strength and physicality at the contest attacking the ball and the man in equal measure, at times he and James Barrett threatened to turn it into a boxing match. He found a stack of footy as he always does, and hit the scoreboard at crucial times to help his Stingrays to build a lead and take the victory.

Reasonable chance he is still around for our first pick and I reckon we will take him

What's the chances that we trade could trade out our future first for gold coasts pick 6? They won't want to keep it at risk of an early Lombard bid. They can then use theirs or our future first on Rioli.

Drafting Langford and Reid would together would be immense.

What's the chances that we trade could trade out our future first for gold coasts pick 6? They won't want to keep it at risk of an early Lombard bid. They can then use theirs or our future first on Rioli.

Drafting Langford and Reid would together would be immense.

Zero

Tim Lamb is never in the conversation for GC rorts. He leaves those opps to other clubs to get in first.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Ah-Mu? Not For You ❌️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back