Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Oscar McInerny is a very robust ruck. Very little causes him to drop games.
Fullerton was always seen as talented but as you say, unsure of his ruck-work.

We were looking more-so for a backup tall forward, at that stage, with booth Maxy and Grundy on our list.

As the club thinks Fullerton has time to develop his ruckwork. I am still hopeful he might get there. I don't share this hope in Scache. Nor Billings, and we're past Hunter.
And McAdam is depth, and has fallen behind on the list of small forwards imv, with the so far positive efforts from Melk.
I have Pickett, Chandler, Melksham, all way ahead of McAdam.

I have Melk way ahead of Fritta, as AFL talent goes. And game winning value goes. Melk organises our forward structure. We have been a lot better up forward, since he's come in.
But we knew Grundy was going when we got Fullarton. The club perhaps overestimated his ability to ruck.

That's just not true. He's excellent in one-on-one contests ā€“ one of the biggest flaws of our gameplan is that he seldom gets those chances.
Ah come-on. He's (fritta) is only good 'one-on-one', when he can jump on his opponents back. When he has any side-on pressure, body-on-body, or front on pressure in the contest, he goes to water... and usually escapes to 'Stage-Left', to find a bit of space, just outside, as a receiver.

He has to have space to work in, or he goes missing. This is why Melk is so important to us, and also why we recruited McAdam.
Fritta just spent 2 seasons, where he just didn't chase or tackle. Oli was his partner in crime, for the same time period.

Those two seasons we just pissed into the wind, and wasted. Add Langers into that group in those two seasons as well.

Thankfully Langers is back to his hard working best, in this his contract year.

No, they new it.
They said recently, that he is a project player. recruited as a tall-forward type, who could ruck somewhat.

But Maxy is showing some aging, atmo.
I never expected much from him first year with us. He was so far down the queue at Brisbane with their talls. The same guys had been pretty much set the whole time he was there - often there were calls to drop one of them whenever the lions had a bad patch so even when 1 went down they would often just go with another small/medium.

It means very little room to develop even at reserves level as there were several more tall fwds and a bunch of rucks who were also stuck there.

I think he has hit a similar problem with BBB, schache, Jefferson and co down at Casey clogging it up...

especially when coming back from his pretty serious hammy early on. It seems that lately he has been given more and more responsibility and time in the Ruck which is a good sign.

I never expected much from him first year with us. He was so far down the queue at Brisbane with their talls. The same guys had been pretty much set the whole time he was there - often there were calls to drop one of them whenever the lions had a bad patch so even when 1 went down they would often just go with another small/medium.

It means very little room to develop even at reserves level as there were several more tall fwds and a bunch of rucks who were also stuck there.

I think he has hit a similar problem with BBB, schache, Jefferson and co down at Casey clogging it up...

especially when coming back from his pretty serious hammy early on. It seems that lately he has been given more and more responsibility and time in the Ruck which is a good sign.
I was glad when we recruited him (fullarton) based on his write-up as a tall-forward/ruck type. And i was over Scache having seen him in action.
Fullarton didn't cost much so worth the gamble... and has time on his side.?
Some of the other fill-ins can go now, as far as i'm concerned.

But this type of recruiting comes around when we try to take shortcuts to fill pieces rather than take the longer road to the draft.
So many teams have fallen, by going this road.
And we are another, but thankfully we have some good talent in the 24Yrs & under.

I'm glad this has been exposed before we have traveled any further down this goat track of a direction.

We have a talent hole in the list, from 29yrs down to 24yrs. Only Oli is in between, and he is a question mark at this stage.

Last edited:
Think Goody just prefers a tall team because he likes long bombs down the line and you will just turn it over repeatedly if you can't compete in the air.
Which when considering Grundy is idiotic because heā€™s shit in aerial contests.

I guarantee you Chris Scott or John Longmire would have found a way to make the Gawn/Grundy thing work.
I donā€™t think you needed a great coach to make it work. Just someone who could see that Grundyā€™s strength was the meat and potatoes stoppage work and that Gawn could be weaponised by playing a kick behind the play and cheating forward on occasion to create a mismatch coupled with the medium to longer term goals of managing Gawn so he could be at best and freshest during finals as well as ultimately extending his career. But old mate mindset thought them spoiling each other going for the same ball at half forward was a great plan. šŸ§ 

Last edited:
Disagree he was worth the lowish pick for a very competent ruck/follower. Except he needed to be able to work-out for us, when playing deep forward.

It didn't work, and the only thing I was dirty on, was the picks we collected from the Swans for giving up a highly competitive first ruck.
There was a question mark over Grundy from his Collinwood days, of back injury.? But his time at the Dees proved he was over that issue.
So we should have got better recompense for his signature from the Swans. A mid to late 1st Rnd pick imv.
His efforts this year at the Swans backs up my view.
Yeh I ageee.

I was disappointed that we couldnā€™t get more for Grundy. I know we got him cheap ourselves, but we had nobody else to pay the money to so I would have been happy if he ran around in our reserves for another year.

He is probably worth a top 10 pick to Sydney - not that I think we should have got that for him but a let first rounder would have been about where I thought he was at.

I donā€™t think you needed a great coach to make it work. Just someone who could see that Grundyā€™s strength was the meat and potatoes stoppage work and that Gawn could be weaponised by playing a kick behind the play and cheating forward on occasion to create a mismatch forward coupled with the medium to longer term goals of managing Gawn so he could be at best and freshest during finals as well as ultimately extending his career. But old mate mindset thought them spoiling each other going for the same ball at half forward was a great plan. šŸ§ 

"Old mate mindset"

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I guarantee you Chris Scott or John Longmire would have found a way to make the Gawn/Grundy thing work.
You'd have them start together then Gawn would drift behind the ball and Grundy stay involved around the ground. Instead cause long bomb dickheads we sat one in the goalsquare at all times

I donā€™t think you needed a great coach to make it work. Just someone who could see that Grundyā€™s strength was the meat and potatoes stoppage work and that Gawn could be weaponised by playing a kick behind the play and cheating forward on occasion to create a mismatch coupled with the medium to longer term goals of managing Gawn so he could be at best and freshest during finals as well as ultimately extending his career. But old mate mindset thought them spoiling each other going for the same ball at half forward was a great plan. šŸ§ 
Or just read this one whatever šŸ˜¢

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donā€™t forget the genius recruitment of Dunstan to only give him 5 senior matches in his tenure.

Hilarious to think any decent player will join us when you look at our run sheet of blokes being relegated to the VFL after being traded in.

I reckon we should have a nibble at Adam Cerra. Wanted to get to us when he moved and have a feeling we could dangle the genuine midfield time bait in front of him to get him over.

Donā€™t forget the genius recruitment of Dunstan to only give him 5 senior matches in his tenure.

Hilarious to think any decent player will join us when you look at our run sheet of blokes being relegated to the VFL after being traded in.

Dunstan knew he was depth. Unfortunately for him we had Trac, Oliver, Viney and Gus all going strong in the guts, so it made zero sense to play Dunstan in the seniors.

Ironically he'd be getting senior games now with our injuries if the situation was a couple of years down the track.

Dunstan knew he was depth. Unfortunately for him we had Trac, Oliver, Viney and Gus all going strong in the guts, so it made zero sense to play Dunstan in the seniors.

Ironically he'd be getting senior games now with our injuries if the situation was a couple of years down the track.

Goody lied to him šŸ§ 

I reckon we should have a nibble at Adam Cerra. Wanted to get to us when he moved and have a feeling we could dangle the genuine midfield time bait in front of him to get him over.

Not a bad shout actually. Although his kicking isn't great. Would still be a good option for our midfield I reckon.

Dons have a few mids not getting regular games/mid time too, who might be worth a look. Hobbs, Perkins etc.

Not a bad shout actually. Although his kicking isn't great. Would still be a good option for our midfield I reckon.

Dons have a few mids not getting regular games/mid time too, who might be worth a look. Hobbs, Perkins etc.

Agree on Cera, more of the same. Can't kick.

Don't want Perkins, he's been so unbelievably bad this year. Mentally soft player I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread šŸ—‘šŸ”„

Remove this Banner Ad

Back