Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
Rivers just turned 23 (last week) and Pickett 2 months ago.

In my head I thought Petty was 23 but is actually 24 (promising defender) but young enough I think.

I think Kolt, AMW and Woey show promise too.

Too early to tell with Kynan and Verrall. Turner maybe as a defender.

Jefferson, prob not but key talls can look really average until their suddenly not with how long their development takes.
That's a shocking list. Richmond have that and they just went 2-19
You don't win oremieships with Kolt and Woey as your top 10 players. We're looking down the barrel of a decade long rebuild at this rate.

Firstly, he said players under 23 going into next year so I didnt count Rivers and Koz. Kolt has looked extremely ordinary outside a game vs the Eagles. Could he improve? sure, but bit of blind faith required. Can make the same argument for Jefferson as a first round pick too. AMW seems fine but dont think hes ever going to be a star. The rest outside Windsor, JVR and McVee look like fringe players at best right now. Havent shown anything to suggest they could be best 22 in a decent team.

Firstly, he said players under 23 going into next year so I didnt count Rivers and Koz. Kolt has looked extremely ordinary outside a game vs the Eagles. Could he improve? sure, but bit of blind faith required. Can make the same argument for Jefferson as a first round pick too. AMW seems fine but dont think hes ever going to be a star. The rest outside Windsor, JVR and McVee look like fringe players at best right now. Havent shown anything to suggest they could be best 22 in a decent team.
They all could be role players, but they aren't even guaranteed to reach Hibberd/Brown/Harmes/Brayshaw levels let alone the Trac Oliver Gawn May etc levels that wins you flags.
AMW looks capable but I'm not seeing bloody Lachie Whitfield there

The dees list in thier 23rd year or younger. Not bad I reckon considering we’ve been up for a few years.

View attachment 2072496

There is only five guys there I'm confident will play 100+ games, and two of them are 24 next year. Reckon every club in the AFL has a list at least this good.

Thing is though we’ve probably done as good as we could with drafting. Remembering we’ve have not had access to a high pick since 2019 except the Windsor pick from Freo. And the couple of years before that we traded picks away.
The elite players usually come from the pointy end of the draft. I think the way the system is set up it is very hard to stay up like Geelong have. But we potentially have a couple more cracks at it despite what a few around here think.

The dees list in thier 23rd year or younger. Not bad I reckon considering we’ve been up for a few years.

View attachment 2072496
Realistically, how many of these players look good or likely to be good?

Pickett - yes
Rivers - yes
Turner - maybe
Laurie - no
Bowey - probably not
Woewodin - probably not
Howes - maybe
JVR - yes
McVee - yes
AMW - maybe
Farris-White - no
Jefferson - maybe
Verral - maybe
Sestan - probably not
Adams - maybe
Brown - maybe
Windsor - yes
Tholstrup - maybe
Kentfield - no

I'd say that's pretty bog average overall.

Thing is though we’ve probably done as good as we could with drafting. Remembering we’ve have not had access to a high pick since 2019 except the Windsor pick from Freo. And the couple of years before that we traded picks away.
The elite players usually come from the pointy end of the draft. I think the way the system is set up it is very hard to stay up like Geelong have. But we potentially have a couple more cracks at it despite what a few around here think.
An yet you want us to get Houston, mind boggling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thought on Houston:
For 6-7 this year and our first next year (and I assume their 2nd round back) will depend on if we make finals next year or not.

It won't be two first picks for Houston, unless Port are sending something else back.

Assuming Tim Lamb doesn't bite his belt and bend over the barrel as he wonts to do, it will be our 2024 first pick plus a swap of later picks. Similar to the Blues/Bummers trade a few years back for Adam Saad.

They all could be role players, but they aren't even guaranteed to reach Hibberd/Brown/Harmes/Brayshaw levels let alone the Trac Oliver Gawn May etc levels that wins you flags.
AMW looks capable but I'm not seeing bloody Lachie Whitfield there
Look at this fanboy pumping up Clarry :sneaky:

If you can't see it with your own eyes let me make it clear for you. We haven't won the flag since 2021, it's been 3 seasons now. Next year is 4 years, you know who's 4 years from a flag this year? ****ing Richmond.
They finished 13th last year. Looking pretty similar to us this year

But sure let's go all in on Houston 😂😂

Realistically, how many of these players look good or likely to be good?

Pickett - yes
Rivers - yes
Turner - maybe
Laurie - no
Bowey - probably not
Woewodin - probably not
Howes - maybe
JVR - yes
McVee - yes
AMW - maybe
Farris-White - no
Jefferson - maybe
Verral - maybe
Sestan - probably not
Adams - maybe
Brown - maybe
Windsor - yes
Tholstrup - maybe
Kentfield - no

I'd say that's pretty bog average overall.

Very generous to Adams here. Bloke struggles to get half a dozen touches for Casey when they get bombarded most matches.

I have him more in the bust column. Laurie I see a bit of Baker in him and think with games he can add something. Just needs to adjust to the speed a bit.

Lachie Neal got traded for pick 6 didn’t he?

So why the **** would we consider pick 6-7 and a F1 for Houston?

Sounds like he is walking out on Port so they don’t have the upper hand. They can hold onto him and have him kick up a stink all season next year or offload him on the cheap.

Very generous to Adams here. Bloke struggles to get half a dozen touches for Casey when they get bombarded most matches.

I have him more in the bust column. Laurie I see a bit of Baker in him and think with games he can add something. Just needs to adjust to the speed a bit.

I think I meant to rate him a "probably not" but ended up with "maybe" for some reason and I can't remember why. I do think he is more likely a bust though, yes.

I'm not sure seeing some of Baker in Laurie is a good thing.

I think we are in a bit of no man's land. We cant do a 5 year rebuild because years 3 & 4 will be screwed by Tassie coming in. Is this year and next 1st round going to revamp out list if our 23 and unders are so bad?

Even if we go to the draft this year I could see us pulling one out of the hat next year and finishing top 8 and ending up with a middling pick 10-15. Right where Kolt & Jefferson landed and not much better than Bowey and Laurie...

Why top 8? - easier draw from dropping down this year, better preseason due to finishing earlier. Gawn does Gawn things, May has a injury free run, Petracca back to his best, Oliver pulls it together to at least be a shadow of his former self... Rivers, koz, McVee, JVR and Windsor take another solid step forward. Petty goes back, Viney freshens up. ANB, Langdon, Lever, Fritsch all play their roles. AMW, Kolt, Howes and co are all better for the games they got under their belt this year...

I mean, it is possible right? It would be very Melbourne to shoot ourselves on the foot. Then some retire, some drop off a cliff performance wise and we drop to bottom 4 but get crap picks anyway for a couple of years... can't attract free agents... It's grim.

Laurie compared to Baker, you mean Liam Baker ? Lol if so.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread 🗑🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Back