List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Trading Pistol makes a lot of sense. Swans wouldn’t even get steak knives, but he’s certainly currently surplus to requirements. Especially if Buller recovers next year
Not so sure about that.

In a Ruck Jesus world, Pete was required, if only as injury cover.

If Grundy goes down - I’m still not sure anyone else on our list looms as an AFL standard ruck for 2025 (not counting McLean as a chop-out).

Buller is far from proven, McAndrew hasn’t progressed & Green is a few years away.

Given we’d get screw-all in return, I’m not sure there’s much value in trading Pete.

Not so sure about that.

If Grundy goes down - I’m still not sure anyone else on our list looms as an AFL standard ruck for 2025 (not counting McLean as a chop-out).

Buller is far from proven, McAndrew hasn’t progressed & Green is a few years away.

Given we’d get screw-all in return, I’m not sure there’s much value in trading Pete.
You’re forgetting about the man, the myth, the legend

Trading Pistol makes a lot of sense. Swans wouldn’t even get steak knives, but he’s certainly currently surplus to requirements. Especially if Buller recovers next year
Exactly what I’ve thinking, we may get a F3 either next year or year after? But may be valuable if we need picks for the next 2 years’ academy boys?

Same but to a lesser extent with Konstanty and maybe 1 or 2 others

Not so sure about that.

It might be a different scenario if he wants to move to play senior footy

x

Exactly what I’ve thinking, we may get a F3 either next year or year after? But may be valuable if we need picks for the next 2 years academy boys?

Same but to a lesser extent with Konstanty and maybe 1 or 2 others
Very interested in who you think the one or two others might be. I can only see Francis of the OOC group and basically we would get nothing or next to it. Of the OOC 2025 group Sheldrick might ask to be traded "home" for opportunity but I can't see anyone else we wouldn't hold to their contract. 🤔

Very interested in who you think the one or two others might be. I can only see Francis of the OOC group and basically we would get nothing or next to it. Of the OOC 2025 group Sheldrick might ask to be traded "home" for opportunity but I can't see anyone else we wouldn't hold to their contract. 🤔
Francis, and at a stretch, Vickery

Only if there’s another club that sees him as a worthwhile addition to their list (in which case, there could be a viable trade opportunity).

If not, he has no trade currency & I’m not a fan of giving him up for nothing.
The way they phrased it on Gettable was that with the rarity of rucks available this year, they’re looking at players like Pete to see if they would be willing to leave, and if the club would be willing to let him go a year early.

Only if there’s another club that sees him as a worthwhile addition to their list (in which case, there could be a viable trade opportunity).

If not, he has no trade currency & I’m not a fan of giving him up for nothing.
He would only move if someone wanted him and he was happy to go. Otherwise he stays and sees out his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so sure about that.

Agree with this. He's shown he can play at the level. If Grundy is injured, he'd be straight in.

I'd rather keep Ladhams next year but if it means extra cash for Warner, Campbell or Melican who are all out of contract next season then it's a no brainer
To keep Chad beyond 2025, he is going to require a big cash deal. Where does the money come from? Rampe will be 35 by the end of 2025 so it would be unlikely Sir Dane gets another contract. Do we say goodbye to Lloyd and / or Parker, even if they're still playing good footy and want to continue? We might only offer Cunningham 1 year beyond 2024 and let him go at the end of 2025. Fringe players like Sheldrick, Corey Warner, Ladhams and even Campbell could be under the pump for a new contract and may get offered more cash and / or opportunities elsewhere.

2025 is shaping up as a tricky year for our list managers.........

To keep Chad beyond 2025, he is going to require a big cash deal. Where does the money come from? Rampe will be 35 by the end of 2025 so it would be unlikely Sir Dane gets another contract. Do we say goodbye to Lloyd and / or Parker, even if they're still playing good footy and want to continue? We might only offer Cunningham 1 year beyond 2024 and let him go at the end of 2025. Fringe players like Sheldrick, Corey Warner, Ladhams and even Campbell could be under the pump for a new contract and may get offered more cash and / or opportunities elsewhere.

2025 is shaping up as a tricky year for our list managers.........

I think Warner's decision about whether to re-sign with us won't be about money, because he will be getting paid a lot regardless.

He will either be happy in Sydney or he will want to go home.

Last edited:
Green's ruck craft and aerobic fitness will continue to improve. He will be a very good player.
The danger for him is putting his "soft" young body up against "hard" men 10 years older. He can put on kg which will help but the hardness takes time. VFL sharing with McAndrew is fine, even being #1 in VFL next year with support from Buller and Edwards will be OK but I would be very hesitant to play him in seniors before 2026.
They should give Green more time in the ruck more often. When he solo rucked against Frankston, he did a pretty good job

They should give Green more time in the ruck more often. When he solo rucked against Frankston, he did a pretty good job

It's a process you don't just put him in there full time he'll burn out halfway through. I've loved the Green pick and he's coming along well

Yes, “more time more often”. I would never expect full time every week at this stage!

Trust the club on this, talls and especially rucks take time, it's why we have Brodie. Look at Xerri for North, took ages for him to come good.

Trust the club on this, talls and especially rucks take time, it's why we have Brodie. Look at Xerri for North, took ages for him to come good.
I doubt that Green will ever have Xerri's build but I reckon he stands a decent chance of being a good Grundy-type ruckman. He's certainly in the right place to learn and he seems a smart kid.
Don't think you'll find anyone to say he's a dud pick on the evidence so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back