List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt that Green will ever have Xerri's build but I reckon he stands a decent chance of being a good Grundy-type ruckman. He's certainly in the right place to learn and he seems a smart kid.
Don't think you'll find anyone to say he's a dud pick on the evidence so far.

Yeah wasn't comparing them, but there's a reason they had Goldstein to protect the kid, same as we do with Grundy. Rucks don't come good till they are 24+ at the earliest, there's a few exceptions but the point stands.

Only if there’s another club that sees him as a worthwhile addition to their list (in which case, there could be a viable trade opportunity).

If not, he has no trade currency & I’m not a fan of giving him up for nothing.
Think there is a bunch of clubs where Ladhams would be #1 ruck, including Port, Geelong, Crows and West Coast. That said, while we're in the mythical "premiership window", I'd prefer to keep him if we can.

I think Warner's decision about whether to re-sign with us won't be about money, because he will be getting paid a lot regardless.

He will either be happy in Sydney or he will want to go home.
There will be a minimum amount we will have to offer to keep him regardless of how happy he is to stay in Sydney. Everyone has their price.

Well, with McDonald extending his stay the list of out of contract players at end of this season gets shorter again. Spots for next year getting tighter and tighter.

Of the others out of contract at the end of '24, would like to see Cunningham offered another year. Has been okay this season. Also don't mind Francis getting another year as a depth type fill in. Mitchell I wouldn't mind. The rest I could give or take.

Edit: With Hanily only being here since mid season, would deserve another season to show his worth.

Vickery, Konstanty, Magor, Kirk, McAndrew, Arnold don't mind one way or the other. Reid a 95% chance of retirement/delisting i'd guess.

Last edited:
Well, with McDonald extending his stay the list of out of contract players at end of this season gets shorter again. Spots for next year getting tighter and tighter.

Of the others out of contract at the end of '24, would like to see Cunningham offered another year. Has been okay this season. Also don't mind Francis getting another year as a depth type fill in. Mitchell I wouldn't mind. The rest I could give or take.

Edit: With Hanily only being here since mid season, would deserve another season to show his worth.

Vickery, Konstanty, Magor, Kirk, McAndrew don't mind one way or the other.
I think we still need to make a minimum of 3 draft picks? Plus McAndrew will need to be promoted or rerookied as we cannot keep him as a rookie for a 4th yr.

Mitchell and Cunningham I think we keep both. Francis is 50/50 at this stage but feels like he's on the way out.

McAndrew I think depends on how we handle Ladhams. If we try to move him early I can see us upgrading him otherwise it might be a ruck too many?

Vickery, Konstanty, Magor, Kirk, McAndrew, Arnold don't mind one way or the other. Reid a 95% chance of retirement/delisting i'd guess.
Hanily has been great as a MSD. Can only see him improving and worth another year.

Mitchell has been excellent and deserves another year. Picked up as an outside player but now doing good things on the inside.

Where I disagree is Francis. His intercept and marking have been fine but his kicking is just not up to AFL level. He's been around for a while now and I'd be surprised if there's much improvement in him left. If Snell is not ahead of him currently, I predict he will be by the start on 2025. Likewise Edwards. With a few young academy defenders coming through, I don't see the point in keeping him on, although if he's not on much, I guess there's no harm in keeping him purely for depth.

Cunningham definitely another year.

Hanily has been great as a MSD. Can only see him improving and worth another year.

Mitchell has been excellent and deserves another year. Picked up as an outside player but now doing good things on the inside.

Where I disagree is Francis. His intercept and marking have been fine but his kicking is just not up to AFL level. He's been around for a while now and I'd be surprised if there's much improvement in him left. If Snell is not ahead of him currently, I predict he will be by the start on 2025. Likewise Edwards. With a few young academy defenders coming through, I don't see the point in keeping him on, although if he's not on much, I guess there's no harm in keeping him purely for depth.

Cunningham definitely another year.
Hanily and Mitchell ✅
Cunningham I think we will delist and rookie because we need the senior list spot but he stays for sure.
Edwards and Snell have already been extended so we know where they stand.
Arnold for mine will be delisted for sure but we will draft Cochran as a defender.
We will probably play Hamling forward again with Buller unless we draft a KPF.
Hard to see Magor or Vickery getting new contracts.
IMO we need at least 4 KPDs so I think we will offer Francis another year
2025 Seniors: McCartinK, MelicanK, Rampe, Blakey, Cunningham, Florent, Fox
2025 VFL: FrancisK, EdwardsK, Snell, Cochran, Kirk?
Snell and Cochran are going to be good tall/medium defenders rather than keys I think, at least initially. Fairly lightly built.

Hanily and Mitchell ✅
Cunningham I think we will delist and rookie because we need the senior list spot but he stays for sure.
Edwards and Snell have already been extended so we know where they stand.
Arnold for mine will be delisted for sure but we will draft Cochran as a defender.
We will probably play Hamling forward again with Buller unless we draft a KPF.
Hard to see Magor or Vickery getting new contracts.
IMO we need at least 4 KPDs so I think we will offer Francis another year
2025 Seniors: McCartinK, MelicanK, Rampe, Blakey, Cunningham, Florent, Fox
2025 VFL: FrancisK, EdwardsK, Snell, Cochran, Kirk?
Snell and Cochran are going to be good tall/medium defenders rather than keys I think, at least initially. Fairly lightly built.
I have deliberately not listed Lloyd or Campbell as defenders. IMO they are both better further upfield.

I have currently on my spreadsheet 11 guys with 10 spots available and i suspect we take 3 or 4 in the draft.

Below are the current OOC:
Harry Cunningham
Aaron Francis
Jacob Konstanty
Sam Reid
Cooper Vickery
Indhi Kirk
Jaiden Magor
Caleb Mitchell
Harrison Arnold
Tom Hanily
Lachlan McAndrew

I suspect with the way that Cochran is performing at the national champs he is falling further back in the order.

We have these picks:

Correct me if i'm wrong but we can use 92 to elevate McAndrew or does it have to be 56?

Bolded players don't get a new deal in my opinion.

So that would leave us with effectively 11 or 12 guys with 10 list spots available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have currently on my spreadsheet 11 guys with 10 spots available and i suspect we take 3 or 4 in the draft.

Below are the current OOC:
Harry Cunningham
Aaron Francis
Jacob Konstanty
Sam Reid
Cooper Vickery
Indhi Kirk
Jaiden Magor
Caleb Mitchell
Harrison Arnold
Tom Hanily
Lachlan McAndrew

I suspect with the way that Cochran is performing at the national champs he is falling further back in the order.

We have these picks:

Correct me if i'm wrong but we can use 92 to elevate McAndrew or does it have to be 56?

Bolded players don't get a new deal in my opinion.

So that would leave us with effectively 11 or 12 guys with 10 list spots available.

We need to drop 3, maybe 4 main list players. Letting go of rookies doesn't change much

The rumours of longer rookie status for talls needs to come through this year. Stretch probably isn't AFL standard yet but would need to be upgraded on today's rules

Regardless how we end the season we must be astute in our trade period and try to get 2-3 James Jordon type players as JJ has filled Clarke and Stephens role in a much upgraded package.

We need a Allir/Ridley type defender or a Draper he pretty much marked everything in the last 5 minutes on the weekend.

Its doubtful we will get another free hit like Grundy again.

Regardless how we end the season we must be astute in our trade period and try to get 2-3 James Jordon type players as JJ has filled Clarke and Stephens role in a much upgraded package.

We need a Allir/Ridley type defender or a Draper he pretty much marked everything in the last 5 minutes on the weekend.

I'm not expecting us to trade anyone in. Most exciting thing we can do is to package our two end of first rounders to get up the board.

I don't think we'll have the salary to bring in anyone.

There might be a DFA who could come straight in but expect that we will be going to the draft to plug the holes we'll get from Rampe and Lloyd in the near future

When I look at our list profile our midfield is very stacked.

Our key position spots (including ruck) have depth and a lot of development coming through in those areas.

Where our team is lacking I see 5 main spots
-medium defender. Rampe and Fox both play this role. You could ask the likes of Blakey and Florent but I'd prefer they not have to be locked down.
-medium and small forward. Hayward is holding down the fort right now for the medium forward. Heeney has played this in the past but successfully transitioned to midfield. Our midfielders resting in the F50 help ease this on our best 22 but the depth is a little bare should Wicks, Papley or Hayward go down. Konstanty has obviously not worked out, Hanily has been brought in but prob not enough
-Small defender. Cunningham has been playing this role throughout the season. I'm not convinced we need to draft for this specifically as our structure puts us in good place that we rarely get punished in this area. Campbell and JJ would be the 2 I can see playing this role, but to me I wouldn't be drafting specifically for this. Would build towards it
-Inside mid. Saturday was a reminder that despite where we have come if we don't have the ruck work going for us we struggle to win the ball. An inside mid who can win the clearance we've still not got. Maybe Sheldrick or Cleary can develop into that. Maybe Warner, Rowbottom or Heeney can build on it. If there is a strong ball winner we should nab them, but the right player will help

Don't think we have draft capital, salary cap or spots in the best 22 that we could get someone to want to come to Sydney. I would much rather draft for instance a small forward rather than trade for one with the equivalent pick because that could be the difference between lowering the Chad Warner wage gap enough to keep him.

Don't think we have draft capital, salary cap or spots in the best 22 that we could get someone to want to come to Sydney. I would much rather draft for instance a small forward rather than trade for one with the equivalent pick because that could be the difference between lowering the Chad Warner wage gap enough to keep him.
Doubt he leaves for money$$. For top players you can always find the cash, so less worried about this.

Honestly I think the most we will do this year is package up 18, 19 for the Gold Coast or brissy #1 pick. Maybe trade ladhams or Parker for cap relief for scrap picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back