List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

When I look at our list profile our midfield is very stacked.

Our key position spots (including ruck) have depth and a lot of development coming through in those areas.

Where our team is lacking I see 5 main spots
-medium defender. Rampe and Fox both play this role. You could ask the likes of Blakey and Florent but I'd prefer they not have to be locked down.
-medium and small forward. Hayward is holding down the fort right now for the medium forward. Heeney has played this in the past but successfully transitioned to midfield. Our midfielders resting in the F50 help ease this on our best 22 but the depth is a little bare should Wicks, Papley or Hayward go down. Konstanty has obviously not worked out, Hanily has been brought in but prob not enough
-Small defender. Cunningham has been playing this role throughout the season. I'm not convinced we need to draft for this specifically as our structure puts us in good place that we rarely get punished in this area. Campbell and JJ would be the 2 I can see playing this role, but to me I wouldn't be drafting specifically for this. Would build towards it
-Inside mid. Saturday was a reminder that despite where we have come if we don't have the ruck work going for us we struggle to win the ball. An inside mid who can win the clearance we've still not got. Maybe Sheldrick or Cleary can develop into that. Maybe Warner, Rowbottom or Heeney can build on it. If there is a strong ball winner we should nab them, but the right player will help
I hope we don't draft another medium defender. They never get on the list.
Swans prefer to draft mids and relocate them to defence.
Rampe
Lloyd
Roberts
Florent
etc

Doubt he leaves for money$$. For top players you can always find the cash, so less worried about this.

Honestly I think the most we will do this year is package up 18, 19 for the Gold Coast or brissy #1 pick. Maybe trade ladhams or Parker for cap relief for scrap picks
I don't think you fully understood what i meant, yes i don't think he leaves if it is only 200k or so difference but if we were to bring in someone on league average 450-500k instead of a rookie on 125k then that 200k difference blows out to 500-600k and thats when Chad Warner will definitely choose to leave because thats probably 3-4m guaranteed money.

The problem with trading up yes it sounds like a good plan but we trade up directly into one of the biggest and deepest midfield drafts in recent memory. I could see us potentially trying to move into next years draft, as we need anything but talls or on ballers

Nate Caddy looked good as a 3rd mobile marking tall for Essendon. I wonder if we can draft that type of player. Or maybe try Joel Cochran as a forward.
I think Caddy will be better than a 3rd tall soon.

As for us, I think Jobe Shanahan has looked really good in the Allies games I have watched. Plays with real presence. I see some of the various draft boards having him going as low as 25. I don't think he will last much longer than 10.

Must always look at ways to improve the list.

They will and they probably ship Parker off be interesting what value he has if any.

That should help pay Chad and maybe add depth in defence or forward .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we need a 4th tall and not a 3rd tall especially because King and Chamberlain are already both 191cm already and probably will be more mobile key forwards. Davis, Day-Wicks or a 185-190cm marking forward is what i would like to see us draft. The problem i believe is that they all fall around our draft pick so we will struggle to move it up to without it being a reach etc, so i could see us trading 19 out of the draft for next year.

I hope we don't draft another medium defender. They never get on the list.
Swans prefer to draft mids and relocate them to defence.
Rampe
Lloyd
Roberts
Florent
etc
I wonder if this has more to do with picking the best player available which is generally the midfielder. Having a broader range of skills and generally a bigger tank. Then once on the list we can tweak their skills to be a more well rounded player in their position. Also more versatile if they need to play other roles due to injury or form.

I wonder if this has more to do with picking the best player available which is generally the midfielder. Having a broader range of skills and generally a bigger tank. Then once on the list we can tweak their skills to be a more well rounded player in their position. Also more versatile if they need to play other roles due to injury or form.

The other factor to consider is we (generally) don't have access to the higher picks in the draft.

Nate Caddy looked good as a 3rd mobile marking tall for Essendon. I wonder if we can draft that type of player. Or maybe try Joel Cochran as a forward.
So I take that to mean play two keys and a third tallish rather than a key. Someone like Caddy, Langford, Lukosius, Walter etc?
I get the feeling we're already playing McDonald a bit that way.
No harm in developing Cochran to play at either end though.

So I take that to mean play two keys and a third tallish rather than a key. Someone like Caddy, Langford, Lukosius, Walter etc?
I get the feeling we're already playing McDonald a bit that way.
No harm in developing Cochran to play at either end though.
No I just meant looking at getting a developing young player in that position. Mostly as a understudy to McDonald and Hayward.

If McDonald was unavailable. Our backups are probably going to be Hamling, Buller, Reid and Ladhams who play very differently to McDonald. They feel more suited to McLean's/Amartey's role.

No I just meant looking at getting a developing young player in that position. Mostly as a understudy to McDonald and Hayward.

If McDonald was unavailable. Our backups are probably going to be Hamling, Buller, Reid and Ladhams who play very differently to McDonald. They feel more suited to McLean's/Amartey's role.
James Barrat from Bendigo/Vic Country has been playing a tall-ish forward role (193cm), and in the last couple of weeks in Coates League he's moved back into defence, and not done too badly

King and Chamberlin can play that role as a third tall and more manoeuvrable and we will get them in 12 months time we need people to challenge Hayward for his spot as the medium forward. Also think we should see how the backline looks with Mills back there as he could be the Backlines equivalent position wise as Hayward in the forward line. If so then the second pick could be best available or move out of the draft into 2025s to cover all of our guys

King and Chamberlin can play that role as a third tall and more manoeuvrable and we will get them in 12 months time we need people to challenge Hayward for his spot as the medium forward. Also think we should see how the backline looks with Mills back there as he could be the Backlines equivalent position wise as Hayward in the forward line. If so then the second pick could be best available or move out of the draft into 2025s to cover all of our guys
We haven't even drafted them. Every chance they don't make AFL level

Your statement is implying Logan is more a medium forward than key position - 100% agree.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see him play defence at some stage. Beautiful field kick, mobile and takes a good overhead mark. In many ways, would be perfect as a Rampe replacement when the great man retires as our third tall defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back