List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't you argue that everyone not drafted or cemented into the best 22 "doesn't make it at AFL level?
Not being drafted and not cemented in best 22 are 2 very different levels from one another. At the current stage Mitchell has a better chance of being a 3rd tall defender over any kid who hasn't been drafted to an AFL club

I haven't posted in here much recently however reading everyone's opinions on here over the past few weeks re ins and outs, does Wicks pressure enough, does Hayward tackle enough, is Parker fast enough to pressure effectively, etc etc. I've kinda realised there is a lack of one certain kind of player on our list...

Hard nuts with pace.

Just went through the entire list and unsurprisingly could only come up with two names that tick this box: Isaac Heeney & James Rowbottom.

They are the only players who can consistently and effectively provide pressure and mongrel, because they're fast enough to chase, tackle, harass.

Wicks & Hayward have the speed but they aren't hard enough to consistently and effectively pressure. Parker & Adams have the hardness but they aren't fast enough to consistently and effectively pressure. Guys like Gulden, Warner, McInerney, Jordon etc won't exactly shirk the issue but it's not something they are reliable with.

Feels like we're being a little hamstrung by these options who have limitations in terms of how much they can or can't bring pressure. This is not to say I don't rate those players, but we can always get better, and I think we need to be able to have someone we can bring in who we can take to the bank will be ballistic missiles, rather than being "surely they'd be better than"s.

So I think players with some mongrel and pace to match it could be something that we look at in the off-season, either by trade or draft.

Just my take. I could be way off.

I haven't posted in here much recently however reading everyone's opinions on here over the past few weeks re ins and outs, does Wicks pressure enough, does Hayward tackle enough, is Parker fast enough to pressure effectively, etc etc. I've kinda realised there is a lack of one certain kind of player on our list...

Hard nuts with pace.

Just went through the entire list and unsurprisingly could only come up with two names that tick this box: Isaac Heeney & James Rowbottom.

They are the only players who can consistently and effectively provide pressure and mongrel, because they're fast enough to chase, tackle, harass.

Wicks & Hayward have the speed but they aren't hard enough to consistently and effectively pressure. Parker & Adams have the hardness but they aren't fast enough to consistently and effectively pressure. Guys like Gulden, Warner, McInerney, Jordon etc won't exactly shirk the issue but it's not something they are reliable with.

Feels like we're being a little hamstrung by these options who have limitations in terms of how much they can or can't bring pressure. This is not to say I don't rate those players, but we can always get better, and I think we need to be able to have someone we can bring in who we can take to the bank will be ballistic missiles, rather than being "surely they'd be better than"s.

So I think players with some mongrel and pace to match it could be something that we look at in the off-season, either by trade or draft.

GWS are full of these type players.
Today it was reinforced that our midfield
naturally Prefers to run forward of the play instead of holding off until the right moment.
Meaning they need to work harder. That was missing.

Hard nuts with pace.

Sheldrick.

Co Warner.

Magor maybe. Came to us as a medium forward / inside mid.

I think we've tried, but hasn't worked out yet.

Campbell, while not having an amazing burst, is harder than some give him credit for. Depends on the roles he's given too.

I could see us now actually trading up our picks to the Suns/Dogs/Demons area (Pick 6-10) and bid on a couple of F/S to flush them out and then picking up Langford who is basically another Heeney and play him as a marking forward who can also play on ball

I could see us now actually trading up our picks to the Suns/Dogs/Demons area (Pick 6-10) and bid on a couple of F/S to flush them out and then picking up Langford who is basically another Heeney and play him as a marking forward who can also play on ball

We've found it hard to get any takers on trading up recently.

But I do agree, a medium forward is an area to look at. No depth given Heeney is mostly a lock for the mids for a few more years, Parker at most has just over a year left. Magor, if he survives, isn't being played there.

Along with small defender (given Cunningham and Fox's age) and probably another KPD (assuming we lose/cut one or two of Arnold, Francis and lose Rampe soon). But Cochran could fill that, with Snell and Edwards looking decent.

We've found it hard to get any takers on trading up recently.

But I do agree, a medium forward is an area to look at. No depth given Heeney is mostly a lock for the mids for a few more years, Parker at most has just over a year left. Magor, if he survives, isn't being played there.

Along with small defender (given Cunningham and Fox's age) and probably another KPD (assuming we lose/cut one or two of Arnold, Francis and lose Rampe soon). But Cochran could fill that, with Snell and Edwards looking decent.
Lachlan Carmichael is the one they are looking at for small defenders but he is 2025 draft. Cochran comes in for probably Francis and then we get a Mid/Forward power hybrid and that will be our offseason and thus will need 4 delisting to cover the extra we picked up with Hanily in the MSD.

2025 & 2026 draft could be huge for us with a potential 3 academy boys looming in both drafts

Lachlan Carmichael is the one they are looking at for small defenders but he is 2025 draft. Cochran comes in for probably Francis and then we get a Mid/Forward power hybrid and that will be our offseason and thus will need 4 delisting to cover the extra we picked up with Hanily in the MSD.

2025 & 2026 draft could be huge for us with a potential 3 academy boys looming in both drafts
If 2025 is looking big on academy prospects we might be trading out one of our firsts to next year. Or at least a 2nd rounder in both 24 and 25 (for Cochran and matching next year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RMC scouting notes from Allies vs Vic Country:

#28 Joel Cochran (Swans Academy)
Key Defender | 195cm | 28/03/2006

Stats:
16 disposals, 8 marks, 4 tackles

Cochran found his groove in game four, impacting with a series of intercept marks as a pillar of the Allies’ defence. He read the play well and backed himself to win the aerial battle against some game opposition, plucking the ball cleanly out of the air. That part of his game, and athleticism were quite prominent, though his kicking was a little wayward when exiting the backline.

#32 Jobe Shanahan (Bendigo Pioneers)
Key Forward | 194cm | 02/08/2006

Stats:
17 disposals, 9 marks, 3 goals

Only a few weeks removed from his five-goal haul at Coates Talent League level, Shanahan faced similar opposition on Sunday and was dominant once again. He presented up the ground relentlessly, showcasing his mobility and clean set of hands on the lead. The forward was unfazed by body contact and clunked the ball in flight, judging it better than anyone. Importantly, Shanahan also hit the scoreboard with three classy goals and was unselfish enough to give a couple off.

#37 Joshua Murphy (Murray Bushrangers)
Forward | 190cm | 28/11/2006

Stats:
11 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals

Finishing the championships as his side’s leading goalkicker (seven in four games), Murphy bagged another two majors on Sunday – including the first of the game. While frustrated by a lack of quick and direct delivery at times, he was a key link in the chain and often marked down the line from Shanahan. His leading patterns and strong hands were key features, rewarded in the way of scores.

Im not saying definitely to grab him but thoughts on Reef McInnes from Collingwood turning 22. Or is that just another project player with a little experience at the top level? Just chucking another name out there

Im not saying definitely to grab him but thoughts on Reef McInnes from Collingwood turning 22. Or is that just another project player with a little experience at the top level? Just chucking another name out there
Was highly rated in his draft year, in part due to his size. He’s the prototype mid everyone wants …. 194cm, reasonably quick & powerful.

But his VFL/AFL career to date has been …. meh. Being 194cm tall doesn’t automatically mean you’re the next Cripps.

I don’t currently think he’d add to our team.

Post-script: ironically, he was a Collingwood academy selection. But of course, only northern clubs benefit from academies.

Last edited:
But drafting someone with standout attributes of pressure & pace would at least increase our odds of finding a player who can tick that box.
Are you suggesting we target more Jack Hiscox types caesar88 ?

I’m sure there’d be a few advocates here for such an approach.

JackHiscoxWasFast purportedly may approve.

Was highly rated in his draft year, in part due to his size. He’s the prototype mid everyone wants …. 194cm, reasonably quick & powerful.

But his VFL/AFL career to date has been …. meh. Being 194cm tall doesn’t automatically mean you’re the next Cripps.

I don’t currently think he’d add to our team.

Post-script: ironically, he was a Collingwood academy selection. But of course, only northern clubs benefit from academies.
Is he too tall to be a 4th forward because he seems very good marking the ball he just can't get game time at Collingwood

Potential best 22 when everyone is available:
B Rampe Melican McCartin
HB Florent Blakey Mills
C McInerney Chad Gulden
HF Hayward McDonald Jordan
F Papley Amartey Mclean
Foll Grundy Heeney Rowbottom
Int Cunningham Lloyd Campbell Wicks
Emerg Fox Roberts Ladhams

Above team is not out of the realms of possibility. Adams and Parker, circa 1.3 - 1.5 Mil / year worth playing VFL. Ridiculous depth I know but if we lose guys like Sheldrick, Mitchell, Corey or even Chad because we can't afford them, I'm calling it bad list management, especially the signing of Adams.

Potential best 22 when everyone is available:
B Rampe Melican McCartin
HB Florent Blakey Mills
C McInerney Chad Gulden
HF Hayward McDonald Jordan
F Papley Amartey Mclean
Foll Grundy Heeney Rowbottom
Int Cunningham Lloyd Campbell Wicks
Emerg Fox Roberts Ladhams

Above team is not out of the realms of possibility. Adams and Parker, circa 1.3 - 1.5 Mil / year worth playing VFL. Ridiculous depth I know but if we lose guys like Sheldrick, Mitchell, Corey or even Chad because we can't afford them, I'm calling it bad list management, especially the signing of Adams.
That team won't get picked if everyone is available. Campbell, Wicks and Cunningham will be replaced by Parker, Adams and Mills.
The Wicks decision has already been demonstrated.
We signed the more experienced and harder bodies because of the 2022 debacle. Compare and contrast.
Having great depth means we will almost certainly lose a good player or two for opportunity or money.

When you stumble upon a Saints fan asking if Sydney would take pick #50 for Luke Parker

No Way Wow GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Hamish Davis.

The more I see of him, the more
I reckon he’d be a great selection.
I didn’t see the Claremont colts play yesterday (was watching our VFL side) …. but Hamish Davis had 40 disposals & kicked a goal for good measure.

He’s become an absolute stand-out this year in the WAFL & if we are considering a medium forward / mid …. here’s hoping the Claremont connection didn’t leave with Don Pyke.

I didn’t see the Claremont colts play yesterday (was watching our VFL side) …. but Hamish Davis had 40 disposals & kicked a goal for good measure.

He’s become an absolute stand-out this year in the WAFL & if we are considering a medium forward / mid …. here’s hoping the Claremont connection didn’t leave with Don Pyke.
Surely the WA teams with their plethora of picks would get in before us.

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back