• KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Who doesn't

But he has played in one already

Good player and still annoyed we passed on him picking Matt Ling.
Thankfully weve stepped up our drafting since then (tho Dalrymple leaving is clearly a set back)

Wasn’t the only one in that draft as well Ed Richards stings a lot unfortunately but we have to move on someday though it was a howler of a pick no two ways about it.

What’s better than one flag- two

Balta would be a good pick-up but there's next to no chance of it happening. He's the exact opposite of the kind of player Richmond would be prepared to let go.

A youngish KPP that is in their best 22 and will still be in their best 22 for a while by the time they would be aiming to complete their rebuild. He's not out of contract until next year and they've already opened discussions to extend him. They'll also be able to offer him way more than us.

We wouldn't have the money or draft currency to get Petracca either and IMO there's an above 99% chance he stays at Melbourne and they make the necessary changes to keep him happy.

Balta would be a good pick-up but there's next to no chance of it happening. He's the exact opposite of the kind of player Richmond would be prepared to let go.

A youngish KPP that is in their best 22 and will still be in their best 22 for a while by the time they would be aiming to complete their rebuild. He's not out of contract until next year and they've already opened discussions to extend him. They'll also be able to offer him way more than us.

We wouldn't have the money or draft currency to get Petracca either and IMO there's an above 99% chance he stays at Melbourne and they make the necessary changes to keep him happy.

I agree with you BUT there’s no harm in at least asking what’s the worst that happens? They say no. We have upwards of near 4 first rounders to play with (two this year) one next and one the following year with the new trading rules

People bringing up Ling as a definite blight on our drafting always bemuses me.

No-one can know what he would have been like if it weren't for injury.

It’s the reason I’m against reaching on prime rounds though have always said you reach you run the risk.

It’s the reason I’m against reaching on prime rounds though have always said you reach you run the risk.
He wasn't really a reach though. We've had this discussion on here countless times. Where I'll bring up examples of him being talked about as a potential late 1st round pick, which is what any of us have to go on about "reaching", and people will just ignore it and carry on.

Yer Oliver on the other hand is a much bigger unknown risk like you dont really know how much he took off his prime during that off-season.

But like a few posts above you dont just lose ALL that ability in the space of a few months right?
You don't lose all ability.

But you can lose the self-discipline and motivation required to play at the highest level. The loss of ability follows shortly thereafter. And we aren't a club with a great track-record of turning around "troubled" players, regardless of what we'd like to believe.

I personally wouldn't pursue Oliver.

And if Melbourne entertain Petracca leaving, they're basically pulling up stumps as an AFL club.

He wasn't really a reach though. We've had this discussion on here countless times. Where I'll bring up examples of him being talked about as a potential late 1st round pick, which is what any of us have to go on about "reaching", and people will just ignore it and carry on.

We won’t agree that he wasn’t a reach, and it’s compounded by Richards being there. Luckily since then we haven’t horribly reached again that’s a positive

I mean, Sheldrick was a bigger reach by your logic.

Not as if that one has been fantastic yet either. I like Gus but by now as a small he’d want to be getting regular games. First round I’ve always said best available draft for needs later

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People bringing up Ling as a definite blight on our drafting always bemuses me.

No-one can know what he would have been like if it weren't for injury.
Regardless of 'potential' small defender was a poor use of resources, an upgrade on Cunningham would be useful atm but our previous drafts had been all smalls, mitchell towers Heeney mills and then going for Florent and Hayward

The pick really underlines how unimaginative and lacklustre the list management was

People talk about getting Trac but I have to wonder about the marginal cost in terms of picks or players. Could he improve us that much? The Oliver of 2 years ago I believe could but Oliver now or Trac? I have serious doubts.
Going after Noah Balta to me is a very attractive proposition as he would fill a very nice niche at not too high a price. Barrass is just plain embarrassing (pun intended). Guy's a flake.
A quality KPF would be well worth thinking about, even a solid medium forward, if available, someone like Langford or Fritsch.
But to be honest I don't expect us to trade in anyone this year.
Yep i agree with this. Very attractive to have Trac but i just think those guys that are superstars can get overvalued in trades and rather you should be going for guys that aren't 100% utilised in a role. Balta out of his 17 games this year has spent like 7 games up forward so he has shown he can play both but feel like that might lower his value a little that he hasn't played 100% game time down back where i honestly feel like he could be AA in a better side

Not as if that one has been fantastic yet either. I like Gus but by now as a small he’d want to be getting regular games. First round I’ve always said best available draft for needs later
North Melbourne do this and look at how its working out for them. Will be a bottom 2 finish for them for what the 5th straight year and also haven't really made a dent in September for the best part of a decade. The problem with this strategy especially when you are down the bottom is the best player in the draft are more than likely inside mids, North have too many inside mids in LDU, Powell, Phillips, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Simpkin & McKercher thats 7 midfielders that all are easily best 22 if not the best players in Norths side aside from Xerri and Larkey and they all can't play their natural position. Sometimes you need to go away from slightly best available because it is more beneficial to grab another position than it is to just load up on inside mids who add nothing to the best 22 if they can't really be played

North Melbourne do this and look at how its working out for them. Will be a bottom 2 finish for them for what the 5th straight year and also haven't really made a dent in September for the best part of a decade. The problem with this strategy especially when you are down the bottom is the best player in the draft are more than likely inside mids, North have too many inside mids in LDU, Powell, Phillips, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Simpkin & McKercher thats 7 midfielders that all are easily best 22 if not the best players in Norths side aside from Xerri and Larkey and they all can't play their natural position. Sometimes you need to go away from slightly best available because it is more beneficial to grab another position than it is to just load up on inside mids who add nothing to the best 22 if they can't really be played

There's a line to reaching/needs. North actually went a year too long, and Logan was best available and they passed for Phillips, that was an error in judgement. I there's a need within a couple you go for it, you don't reach 10+ though, or at least trade down then do it

Was it Swansfan51 who posted about drafting strategy?

I can’t remember where KPDs landed in the pecking order, but I reckon they could arguable come after KPFs (that is, before mids).

The way I think about it is, which team has regretted drafting a top quality KPD? None.

On this basis, I think we also need to keep trying to throw the kitchen sink at KPD, or otherwise get a KPF and play Logan down back. Our defence is by far our highest need, particularly given Rampe next year will be on the decline.

Regardless of 'potential' small defender was a poor use of resources, an upgrade on Cunningham would be useful atm but our previous drafts had been all smalls, mitchell towers Heeney mills and then going for Florent and Hayward

The pick really underlines how unimaginative and lacklustre the list management was

If you think Ling was drafted as a Cunningham type, I'm not sure you should take pot shots at our list managers.

Ling was drafted as a speedy rebounding half back, not a one-on-one small defender.

Injuries robbed him of his speed and some agility, so he then was tried as a more defensive type, but obviously he didn't prove himself in that role, so is now in the SANFL.

For reference, the players in that Ling role for us now, were also taken as first rounders.

Last edited:
If you think Ling was drafted as a Cunningham type, I'm not sure you should take pot shots at our list managers.

Ling was drafted as a speedy rebounding half back, not a one-on-one small defender.

Injuries robbed him of his speed and some agility, so he then was tried as a more defensive type, but obviously he didn't prove himself in that role, so is now in the SANFL.
Having a quick look back it wouldn't surprise me if Ling was brought in to have a year or two as McVeigh's understudy and then challenge for that role off the HBF.

Was it Swansfan51 who posted about drafting strategy?

I can’t remember where KPDs landed in the pecking order, but I reckon they could arguable come after KPFs (that is, before mids).

The way I think about it is, which team has regretted drafting a top quality KPD? None.

On this basis, I think we also need to keep trying to throw the kitchen sink at KPD, or otherwise get a KPF and play Logan down back. Our defence is by far our highest need, particularly given Rampe next year will be on the decline.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back