• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think Ling was drafted as a Cunningham type, I'm not sure you should take pot shots at our list managers.

Ling was drafted as a speedy rebounding half back, not a one-on-one small defender.

Injuries robbed him of his speed and some agility, so he then was tried as a more defensive type, but obviously he didn't prove himself in that role, so is now in the SANFL.

For reference, the players in that Ling role for us now, were also taken as first rounders.
Yep bad selection then and now

From the small sample we saw of Ling at the top level his skills would atm be an upgrade on Cunningham. He did have a neat kick

An amatuer could see there were superior options unfortunately for our list management

Half back or back pocket there's not a reprieve from defending for happening to be quick

Not a doctor but hes still playing vfl

What is a Cunningham type anyway. Are types positions or players. Even being generous saying mayb they saw Ling potentially being able to play wing or forward, the injuries aren't the main reason he was a poor selection choice but completely missing with pick 14 and ending up with 1 best team player out of the entire off season/draft is a clear showcase example of the clubs poor list management and drafting of the time.

Thankfully they did notice this and recruited a good recruiter but Dalrymple has moved on again. Getting Caruso from gws would be a good replacement

5 years for Tom Barass ? Must be massively front ended will be 29 start of next season and is injury prone.
If we want to go for Balta we are going to have to get some salary cap space and the obvious example would be to trade out Ladhams. Reid will be off the books but I doubt he was on much this year anyway. Leaves us with McAndrew and Green as backup rucks which has some risk but with McLean and Amartey we could play two part time rucks if Grundy goes out.
If we are chasing Petracca or Oliver then Warner is probably on his way back west. No way we can afford Warner , Heeney , Gulden , Mills etc and Petracca. Wouldn't want to go near Oliver with his baggage even if he's a bargain bin price.

People bringing up Ling as a definite blight on our drafting always bemuses me.

No-one can know what he would have been like if it weren't for injury.

He’s been injury free for multiple seasons and has reached his ceiling, a good average state league player

5 years for Tom Barass ? Must be massively front ended will be 29 start of next season and is injury prone.
If we want to go for Balta we are going to have to get some salary cap space and the obvious example would be to trade out Ladhams. Reid will be off the books but I doubt he was on much this year anyway. Leaves us with McAndrew and Green as backup rucks which has some risk but with McLean and Amartey we could play two part time rucks if Grundy goes out.
If we are chasing Petracca or Oliver then Warner is probably on his way back west. No way we can afford Warner , Heeney , Gulden , Mills etc and Petracca. Wouldn't want to go near Oliver with his baggage even if he's a bargain bin price.
My god - Barass was on the Perth news the other night, stating that he'd nearly become a quadriplegic & now lives with chronic pain.

To quote him:

“But with the physiotherapy and some of the other medical treatments that are available to me, I’m able to get out of bed and get moving and get on with my life, mostly”

I really wish him all the best - but any club offering 5 years is potentially making a list-clanger decision of Polec-proportions.

Yep bad selection then and now

From the small sample we saw of Ling at the top level his skills would atm be an upgrade on Cunningham. He did have a neat kick

An amatuer could see there were superior options unfortunately for our list management

Half back or back pocket there's not a reprieve from defending for happening to be quick

Not a doctor but hes still playing vfl

What is a Cunningham type anyway. Are types positions or players. Even being generous saying mayb they saw Ling potentially being able to play wing or forward, the injuries aren't the main reason he was a poor selection choice but completely missing with pick 14 and ending up with 1 best team player out of the entire off season/draft is a clear showcase example of the clubs poor list management and drafting of the time.

Thankfully they did notice this and recruited a good recruiter but Dalrymple has moved on again. Getting Caruso from gws would be a good replacement

I repeat, Ling was not, at the time of drafting, the same type of player as Cunningham is. Cunningham is actually a decent kick for a one-on-one small defender (his type, which I had already said, maybe you could use "role" if you prefer). Talking about him in comparison to Ling doesn't really make sense.

You say there were clearly better options, but you don't seem to know what type/role of player he was, and yes, injuries ruined his chances, and ours, of seeing whether the selection was warranted. People can guess, but we don't know.

I'm not sure why an attacking half back needs to be turned into a forward or wing, why not just be an attacking half back, or why that somehow changes the draft position they should go at.

Ling is in the SANFL now, at ladder leaders Norwood.

You bring up Dalrymple as us bringing in a good recruiter, as opposed to Beatson. He joined in 2018. He may have had some input into a good draft class of 2018, headlined by matching Blakey, now playing as you guessed it, an attacking half back.

In 2019, we drafted Stephens at 5, Gould at 26, Taylor at 36 before striking gold with Warner. This is actually a worse result than, using your logic, the 2 x Best 22 players we got in Ling's 2017, not one as you say (McCartin and Amartey).

2021 and 2022 with 1 (maybe 2 if Sheldrick has better injury luck), and possibly zero Best 22 players, before Dalrymple left last year.

Last edited:
Our list is in a perfect spot. The only experienced heads I'd be looking at would be there to plug.a gap for a year or two (like we did with Adams and Hamling) otherwise I would be focusing on our next wave of youth.

Otherwise fringe players who we can get for cheap as they'd be low risk. But I'd rather we focus on keeping our best 26 before we go looking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We also need a kf that takes can take a mark

This is what is missing imo

Even an older fella just for 2 years to try and grab a flag
We have tried to draft for this, most recently with Buller. Though unfortunately injuries and VFL delivery haven't been kind. Suspect we draft another this year.

Not sure there's many old fellas out there to do this. I'd ask for examples, but I'm afraid someone will bring up Tex and then I'll bring up my stomach.

We have tried to draft for this, most recently with Buller. Though unfortunately injuries and VFL delivery haven't been kind. Suspect we draft another this year.

Not sure there's many old fellas out there to do this. I'd ask for examples, but I'm afraid someone will bring up Tex and then I'll bring up my stomach.
Lynch?

Thank you kindly.

My memory wasn’t too shabby on the draft orderings listed. I do reckon that top line key defenders should now outrank classy midfielders, though only just.

We also need a kf that takes can take a mark

This is what is missing imo

Even an older fella just for 2 years to try and grab a flag

Wouldn’t be completely against Tom Lynch and we could manage him through like Gunston for Hawthorn

5 years for Barrass does feel risky.

Are there any good (read sub-elite) forwards from another team who we could turn into a really solid key defender?

I reckon a straight swap Braeden Campbell for Mason Cox as we need a marking forward

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back