• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be open to Lynch but I wouldn't want to pay what he'd want to head to Sydney or what Richmond would be willing to give up. Similar with Balta (though he'd obviously be worth a lot more).

And while it was years ago now, the Goodes saga makes me really uncomfortable with having Walker at the club.

3 years for Lynch who is already 31 turning 32 before the start of next season ? If he had been mainly injury free for the last 2 years might be worth a risk but he's barely been on the park.

OMG! No... no 29yro or older defenders please! Just a band-aid!

Lets start looking at forwards we can convert to backs... preferably quick, with sticky hands, solid kick and good nous! Shouldn't be that hard to find... :tongueoutv1: :roflv1:

Read a few things that Lukosius will get traded to Adelaide for no more than a second rounder as GC need to dump his salary to fit in Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey’s August Top 30 rankings:

Again, from just reading a few sets of rankings and nothing else...

I've mentioned the combo of Harry Oliver, Matt Whitlock and Cochran sounds good, if we use both our firsts, though I see the logic in moving one out to improve our 2025 picks (for academy matching). That said, we can plunder future drafts as well, so taking 3 needs this year is a good option.

Whether we can turn Oliver into a small defender like Smith, Cunningham I don't know, but he sounds tough and team-first oriented.

M Whitlock a key forward, who can pinch hit in defence. At least if we have a few of those, we have options to settle on who is best forward and best in defence in emergencies, rather than defaulting to Logan regardless.

Shanahan, as contested marking is something to consider. Again, we might try to turn him into a KPD at some point, but another KPF option.

If we're going a mid or medium forward, Hynes doesn't sound too bad. Got some height for a mid, which will excite some. If prolific forward, might even get Horse to reconsider 3 x KPFs (hahaha..ha...ha...sorry).

Last edited:
Again, from just reading a few sets of rankings and nothing else...

I've mentioned the combo of Harry Oliver, Matt Whitlock and Cochran sounds good, if we use both our firsts, though I see the logic in moving one out to improve our 2025 picks (for academy matching). That said, we can plunder future drafts as well, so taking 3 needs this year is a good option.

Whether we can turn Oliver into a small defender like Smith, Cunningham I don't know, but he sounds tough and team-first oriented.

M Whitlock a key forward, who can pinch hit in defence. At least if we have a few of those, we have options to settle on who is best forward and best in defence in emergencies, rather than defaulting to Logan regardless.

Shanahan, as contested marking is something to consider. Again, we might try to turn him into a KPD at some point, but another KPF option.

If we're going a mid or medium forward, Hynes doesn't sound too bad. Got some height for a mid, which will excite some. If prolific forward, might even get Horse to reconsider 3 x KPFs (hahaha..ha...ha...sorry).
Don't know if we necessarily need another half back considering there is currently a log-jam there and also we have Carmichael for next year who will most likely be within the national draft range of picks.

Agree with picking up one of the Whitlocks or Shanahan with one of the firsts we have as it looks likely that 1-2 KP players alongside Reid won't be on the list in 2025. Also agree on matching Cochran just a question of with pick 56 that will come in to around pick 45 or with pick 74 that will filter into like pick 55-60 or so.

Wonder what we do with the other first, personally i like grabbing a medium forward or maybe another mid/forward hybrid but still with a couple months before the draft we will wait and see what falls out

Don't know if we necessarily need another half back considering there is currently a log-jam there and also we have Carmichael for next year who will most likely be within the national draft range of picks.

Agree with picking up one of the Whitlocks or Shanahan with one of the firsts we have as it looks likely that 1-2 KP players alongside Reid won't be on the list in 2025. Also agree on matching Cochran just a question of with pick 56 that will come in to around pick 45 or with pick 74 that will filter into like pick 55-60 or so.

Wonder what we do with the other first, personally i like grabbing a medium forward or maybe another mid/forward hybrid but still with a couple months before the draft we will wait and see what falls out
That's why I'm talking about Oliver as potentially a small defender, not as just a half back. We're fast approaching Cunningham and Fox's retirements, and Mills doesn't have the speed to go with some small forwards. Roberts is the intercept/distributing small rather than a one-on-one type. It's an important role without much depth. Questionable whether Vickery stays on.

Hynes might be around as the mid/fwd, at 190cm.

Last edited:
That's why I'm talking about Oliver as potentially a small defender, not as just a half back. We're fast approaching Cunningham and Fox's retirements, and Mills doesn't have the speed to go with some small forwards. Roberts is the intercept/distributing small rather than a one-on-one type.

Don't hate the idea of Oliver actually, we could do worse than grab a small defender with the way the game has headed and small forwards becoming critical. We may also go the other way and look for a small forward especially if Konstanty goes, who knows you are right that second pick could be anything. Personally after more thinking I wouldn't be trading to next year. We will have 3 years of firsts (new rules with an extra year of futures available) to match next years kid, we don't need to trade into 2025.

Don't hate the idea of Oliver actually, we could do worse than grab a small defender with the way the game has headed and small forwards becoming critical. We may also go the other way and look for a small forward especially if Konstanty goes, who knows you are right that second pick could be anything. Personally after more thinking I wouldn't be trading to next year. We will have 3 years of firsts (new rules with an extra year of futures available) to match next years kid, we don't need to trade into 2025.
I think Hanily might be the small forward option, already with us, even if Konstanty goes.

Joe Harrison as a rookie pick another option. Looked good in his VFL debut. Plays as a forward and mid.

I think Hanily might be the small forward option, already with us, even if Konstanty goes.

Joe Harrison as a rookie pick another option. Looked good in his VFL debut. Plays as a forward and mid.

Fair call on Hanily really like him

That's why I'm talking about Oliver as potentially a small defender, not as just a half back. We're fast approaching Cunningham and Fox's retirements, and Mills doesn't have the speed to go with some small forwards. Roberts is the intercept/distributing small rather than a one-on-one type. It's an important role without much depth. Questionable whether Vickery stays on.

Hynes might be around as the mid/fwd, at 190cm.
I'm not sure why you say that Roberts ISN'T a one-on-one type. I don't think it's been asked of him so I don't think there's much evidence.either way.
Mills I agree 💯, doesn't have the acceleration or agility. Corey maybe? Hard enough and pretty quick. Might be worth a try. I just don't see a draftee being able to cope with a tricky small forward.

I'm not sure why you say that Roberts ISN'T a one-on-one type. I don't think it's been asked of him so I don't think there's much evidence.either way.
Mills I agree , doesn't have the acceleration or agility. Corey maybe? Hard enough and pretty quick. Might be worth a try. I just don't see a draftee being able to cope with a tricky small forward.

I say he isn't because he isn't played as one and has never been. If we have ideas to put him in that role once Cunningham retires, ok, but until I see any evidence of there being a backup, I'd like to draft one. Either way, we're then going to need someone to replace Roberts, which Oliver may be able to do too.

And as I said, I don't know too much about Oliver, other than that he sounds like a half back, with pace and foot skills, but is also hard at the contest and not afraid to hit packs. Maybe the latter doesn't mean he's played specifically as a small defender and I'm reading too much into it, but around our picks he seems the most likely to fill that role.

Corey not sure. I'd imagine we would have played him there at either level if it was in our thinking. We did it immediately with Campbell, even though he joined as a mid/fwd.

Also, I'm not sure why you're talking about playing a draftee on a tricky small forward. Cunningham isn't retiring this year, neither is Fox. I expect both to be on our list next year. The idea is to get someone in to develop a bit before you have to play them in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back