• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney only have 5 of the top 100 paid players in the league.

Grundy
Heeney
Mills
Parker
McCartin

11 clubs with more higher paid players than us.

Gws, melb - 8
Carl, ess, freo, WC, WB - 7
Pies, GC, rich, St k - 6

Of our 5 players, Grundy has a chunk being paid by the pies and if Parker is moved on we really only have 3. Surely room in the cap for some moves.

Would probably take a F3 in a Parker deal. Maybe a F2 for our F3 or something.

I'm still of the hope that Chad signs a long term extension this off season. It would be intersting to see the original offer and obviously he made the right choice to knock it back as it most likely has gone up $300k or more per season in the last week.

Grundy
Heeney
Mills
Parker
McCartin

Gws, melb - 8
Pies, GC, rich, St k - 6

Of our 5 players, Grundy has a chunk being paid by the pies and if Parker is moved on we really only have 3. Surely room in the cap for some moves.
Have you noticed that of these clubs, only GWS has made the top 6... and only 2 the top 8... something to be said for having a balanced list, both financially and positionally.

Grundy
Heeney
Mills
Parker
McCartin

Gws, melb - 8
Pies, GC, rich, St k - 6

That's entirely speculation.

Grundy
Heeney
Mills
Parker
McCartin

Gws, melb - 8
Pies, GC, rich, St k - 6

That's by the herald sun and it's all guesswork , as Paul Marsh said they have checked in the past and they have been so wrong

Grundy
Heeney
Mills
Parker
McCartin

Gws, melb - 8
Pies, GC, rich, St k - 6

A previous post suggested that Parker's deal was back-ended and he was on about $700k this year. So he makes this list and not Gulden or McDonald who re-signed this year? I call BS on this list.

A previous post suggested that Parker's deal was back-ended and he was on about $700k this year. So he makes this list and not Gulden or McDonald who re-signed this year? I call BS on this list.
No one on here knows exactly what he would be on and that is this thread

Grundy
Heeney
Mills
Parker
McCartin

Gws, melb - 8
Pies, GC, rich, St k - 6

And Geelong in the bottom 6 of clubs with highly paid players lol. As has been said before, wait until the AFL cottons on to why this is so.

Grundy
Heeney
Mills
Parker
McCartin

Gws, melb - 8
Pies, GC, rich, St k - 6

More evidence (if any was needed) that overpaying “stars” is to the detriment of the overall list - and leads to failure.

Can honestly see Collingwood dropping further down the ladder next year. They need a rebuild but haven't noticed yet
I think this year shows how hard it is to predict where clubs will finish the following season. Few would have had the Hawks in a SF this year.

I do think Collingwood are in for some pain but they might get a bump next year, just as Geelong has this year. Pendlebury and Sidebottom might be old but they can still play good football. The hype around Daicos may be excruciating at times but he is a superb player and they are usually able to employ him to best advantage (even if their reliance on him seems risky).

I think this year shows how hard it is to predict where clubs will finish the following season. Few would have had the Hawks in a SF this year.

I do think Collingwood are in for some pain but they might get a bump next year, just as Geelong has this year. Pendlebury and Sidebottom might be old but they can still play good football. The hype around Daicos may be excruciating at times but he is a superb player and they are usually able to employ him to best advantage (even if their reliance on him seems risky).
I think Collingwood are cooked because in the next 12-24 months they are going to loose, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Cox, Elliot, WHE, Mihocek and Mitchell. Thats roughly 1850 games of experience or 81 full seasons of experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Geelong in the bottom 6 of clubs with highly paid players lol. As has been said before, wait until the AFL cottons on to why this is so.
No different to Carlton's contracts years back which were invisyble when the AFL looked over them to make sure the were above board.

I think Collingwood are cooked because in the next 12-24 months they are going to loose, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Cox, Elliot, WHE, Mihocek and Mitchell. Thats roughly 1850 games of experience or 81 full seasons of experience.
I agree with you in the medium term. Long term is impossible to predict. But I do think they’re a chance to make the finals, and maybe even top four, next year with a better run with injury than they had this year.

I really don’t understand their purported interest in Stringer, however. They’re already well placed for small and medium forwards. I’d have thought that finding eventual replacements for Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Crisp, Howe and the like would be a bigger priority, plus an immediate replacement for Nathan Murphy. And a competent back up for Cameron since Cox really isn’t very good (any more).

I agree with you in the medium term. Long term is impossible to predict. But I do think they’re a chance to make the finals, and maybe even top four, next year with a better run with injury than they had this year.

I really don’t understand their purported interest in Stringer, however. They’re already well placed for small and medium forwards. I’d have thought that finding eventual replacements for Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Crisp, Howe and the like would be a bigger priority, plus an immediate replacement for Nathan Murphy. And a competent back up for Cameron since Cox really isn’t very good (any more).
The Stringer proposed recruitment is a strange one from the Magpies but maybe they want him to work more out of the middle and rest up forward? Who knows🤷‍♀️

Given that they like to play a running game plan and Stringer is rarely that fit I struggle to see how he fits.
The Stringer proposed recruitment is a strange one from the Magpies but maybe they want him to work more out of the middle and rest up forward? Who knows🤷‍♀️
Plus they have De Goey who’s a similar kind of player (better when he’s available but available less often than Stringer).

Much as I’d love to clone Heeney so we can simultaneously have one in the middle and on up forward, I find it hard to visualise a functional team with both Stringer and De Goey.

Mitch Cleary mentioned on SEN there are 1-2 teams max interested in Stringer and Collingwood isn't one of them.

I would love it for North to go after him and just triple down on the veterans. Darling, Parker, Stringer. I don't think the Roos would be interested as they're going after pro's, but at some point they need to start putting a few Ws on the board.

Yep i think they have a scenario of both having huge experience in 30+ bracket but only 2-3 best 22 guys in the <23 years old bracket.

Plus they have De Goey who’s a similar kind of player (better when he’s available but available less often than Stringer).

Much as I’d love to clone Heeney so we can simultaneously have one in the middle and on up forward, I find it hard to visualise a functional team with both Stringer and De Goey.
I could see Stringer maybe adding value at Port, Crows or the Dee's. They play with their forwards more static.

Mitch Cleary mentioned on SEN there are 1-2 teams max interested in Stringer and Collingwood isn't one of them.

I would love it for North to go after him and just triple down on the veterans. Darling, Parker, Stringer. I don't think the Roos would be interested as they're going after pro's, but at some point they need to start putting a few Ws on the board.
Media keeps linking a clubs to Stringer only for it to be knocked back the following day

Last edited:
Beatson doesn’t stuff around trying to squeeze out pick swaps etc. I reckon 40 gets it done from a Swans perspective. He’d probably give a pick swap your way to make it happen if North started playing games, but then hold a grudge about it for a long time afterwards 😂
If Parker wants to go, the club won't stand in his way after the service he has given us. Also, North didn't stuff around and were willing to give us one of their additional first round picks (Pick 19) for Stephens. Let's admit, we were fortunate to get that pick for Stephens. I think the deals done already judging by Parker's responses to media. He would get more game time & leadership responsibility with a younger list. We get to expose a younger midfielder in 2025 (Cleary, Sheldrick).

If Parker wants to go, the club won't stand in his way after the service he has given us. Also, North didn't stuff around and were willing to give us one of their additional first round picks (Pick 19) for Stephens. Let's admit, we were fortunate to get that pick for Stephens. I think the deals done already judging by Parker's responses to media. He would get more game time & leadership responsibility with a younger list. We get to expose a younger midfielder in 2025 (Cleary, Sheldrick).
It would be very sad to see Parks play his 300th in another jumper, but sadder still to see him end his career like RyanO did.
He deserves to finish his career where he is appreciated for his abilities, whether that be us or North, time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back