• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Gus would actually have too many clubs clamouring for him. I rate him but with his injury history, no club is offering him guaranteed first team action.

This is the big thing for me. It was Amartey, McLean and McDonald's first season as the main trio. None of them have played 100 games and going into this season, neither McDonald or Amartey had even played 50.

People say we're too reliant on our mids kicking goals, but what's to say if you change up the structure that won't result in goals from the midfield drying up?

In theory, we should expect that the forward line becomes more potent next year and we averaged almost 100 points a game this year. The issue is definitely overblown on here.
You are missing the point. If they don't come 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Coleman, they are spuds!

/s

I don’t think Gus would actually have too many clubs clamouring for him. I rate him but with his injury history, no club is offering him guaranteed first team action.
He would comfortably be best XXII at West Coast.

I doubt he’ll ask for a trade this year - but if he doesn’t become one of Horse’s favourites next year, why would he stay?

I find it troubling. Even Nathan Buckley has said he’ll be a star of the comp …..but I’m starting to get Tom Mitchell vibes about things.

Of course, the injuries have been a huge impediment. Everything could change if he gets a decent run at it next year.

He would comfortably be best XXII at West Coast.

I doubt he’ll ask for a trade this year - but if he doesn’t become one of Horse’s favourites next year, why would he stay?

I find it troubling. Even Nathan Buckley has said he’ll be a star of the comp …..but I’m starting to get Tom Mitchell vibes about things.

Of course, the injuries have been a huge impediment. Everything could change if he gets a decent run at it next year.
Its worth remembering that three of our mids made the All Australian team this year
Its also worth remembering that for much of the season Luke Parker couldn't get a game, and when he did it was in the forward line.
Then theres Callum Mills (2022 All Australian - the only year hes played full time midfield) cant get a run in the midfield.

I dont buy the 'Horses Favourites' narrative. I also question how many games Buckley has seen him play.. Ill back Horse to know Gus better than Buckley.
Certainly Sheldrick injuries have seriously stuffed him around, but trying to break into this midfield for any player is a massive task. Gus may well be the victim of playing for a bloody good team

In saying all that, I wasn't that happy with the Adams trade. Id much prefer to give our draftees a game, whether thats in the midfield or defence (replacing Mills etc if they moved inside)

Sure but last year he was poorly treated for mine. Think there’s a bit of truth to it, this year is a bit different with the injuries though agree there. Last year we had the dumb idea of playing him as a small forward (and he wasn’t terrible) and then dropping the bloke when others were a mile worse
I think he should have gotten at least a sub appearance or two late on this year, but we didn't drop him last year. He got injured after a run of games in seniors, and his last 5 games had him at 40% of CBs.

Last edited:
I haven't been following this year's draft closely but Jack Whitlock and Hamish Davis sound like a couple of prospects in our range and importantly seem to fill areas of need in our list.

I think overall we will need to look at bolstering our forward line with a young key tall and a few small / mediums who can also play midfield. I wouldn't necessarily draft a small lockdown defender as I think they can be developed from a speedy mid - think Crouch, Smooch and Harry. Whether we draft a tall defender will be dictated by who gets de-listed. I'd be inclined to keep Francis as backup so it comes down to what we do with Arnold. I like the look of Arnold but it's hard to read where he stands. If he stays, then no point drafting yet another young KPD given we will have 3 on the books.

Sure but last year he was poorly treated for mine. Think there’s a bit of truth to it, this year is a bit different with the injuries though agree there. Last year we had the dumb idea of playing him as a small forward (and he wasn’t terrible) and then dropping the bloke when others were a mile worse
Horse almost always brings young onballers in via the forward line to give them a taste of the speed and what is required to play the game. He has usually sent them back to the 2s to work on the things they need to. They almost always eventually find themselves in the senior team when they have worked on those issues identified. Some young players would prefer to take shortcuts and be tempted by other offers (and who wouldn't when contracts are waved around) so that they can play seniors for other clubs before they are ready, while others may get stuck in the never-land between seniors and reserves. A lot of it is up to the player as well as luck and timing.
If he stays with the Swans, Gus will play seniors as there is a bit of movement now with those above him (Parker, et al). It just remains to be seen if he wants to play for us or someone else.

Horse almost always brings young onballers in via the forward line to give them a taste of the speed and what is required to play the game. He has usually sent them back to the 2s to work on the things they need to. They almost always eventually find themselves in the senior team when they have worked on those issues identified. Some young players would prefer to take shortcuts and be tempted by other offers (and who wouldn't when contracts are waved around) so that they can play seniors for other clubs before they are ready, while others may get stuck in the never-land between seniors and reserves. A lot of it is up to the player as well as luck and timing.
If he stays with the Swans, Gus will play seniors as there is a bit of movement now with those above him (Parker, et al). It just remains to be seen if he wants to play for us or someone else.

Sure and I get that but at the same time others in the side should be held accountable for form too. That’s been my only issue (main problem) with the situation. Were players in worse form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure and I get that but at the same time others in the side should be held accountable for form too. That’s been my only issue (main problem) with the situation. Were players in worse form.
We just don't know what players have been asked to work on, etc and if they have done so. To us it may look like the coaches aren't aware of all of the issues and just don't see a player playing well, but I trust that there is a plan for each player. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
We are also famous for identifying the exact situation in other clubs and taking advantage of it as well, so we may miss out on a couple who leave, but we also gain a few who come to us. I would be disappointed if Gus goes, but we just picked up JJ from the same scenario.

Twomey also released his phantom today. A few differences

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' September ranking - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1222433
Good draft to have 2 late firsts.

Based only on reading, Matt Whitlock (KPF/KPD), Harry Oliver (if we see an actual one-on-one defender in him) and Cooper Hynes (powerful taller mid, and medium fwd option) look like good needs picks.

Shanahan, Jack Whitlock or Jonty Faull might get to us.

Based only on reading, Matt Whitlock (KPF/KPD), Harry Oliver (if we see an actual one-on-one defender in him) and Cooper Hynes (powerful taller mid, and medium fwd option) look like good needs picks.

My realistic dream draft would be Shanahan and Hynes. But seems more trending towards Whitlock and Hynes

My realistic dream draft would be Shanahan and Hynes. But seems more trending towards Whitlock and Hynes
Wouldn't be unhappy with that. Grab Cochran too if we still rate him.

Need to bring in another potential small defender, maybe a late pick or rookie. Not sure Vickery stays on.

And probably another mature age KPD for short term backup, assuming we lose one or both of Francis and Arnold.

Wouldn't be unhappy with that. Grab Cochran too if we still rate him.

Need to bring in another potential small defender, maybe a late pick or rookie. Not sure Vickery stays on.

And probably another mature age KPD for short term backup, assuming we lose one or both of Francis and Arnold.
Don't think we need to bring in a small defender given we have all the wing backs there in Lloyd, Florent, Roberts. Yes my i forgot to mention that i would be easily matching Cochran's bid. I think with getting a KPF and a taller medium forward you can swing Hamling back down back and have strength there to be able to de list Francis and Arnold

Don't think we need to bring in a small defender given we have all the wing backs there in Lloyd, Florent, Roberts. Yes my i forgot to mention that i would be easily matching Cochran's bid. I think with getting a KPF and a taller medium forward you can swing Hamling back down back and have strength there to be able to de list Francis and Arnold
None of Florent, Lloyd (31) or Roberts are actual one-on-one defenders like Cunningham (or Fox), both in their 30s. Mills may take some medium options in the medium term, but he can't go with the quicker small forwards once Harry goes.

Rampe will finish up shortly so we need to be ready to replace him or whoever replaces him as next in line. Hence Cochran and another if we lose one of Francis or Arnold. Hamling may not see another contract after 2025.

Otherwise our KPDs in a years time might be the following, based on 7 KPDs (3 at each level, usually 1 injured):

Tmac*
Melican*
Edwards

Snell
Cochran
???
???

* will always have durability concerns

Charlie McCartin has been mentioned but others are also interested.

If Shanahan gets to us I'm calling the name in 2 seconds.

Right now and this is sort of a realistic list. My top 6

1. Jobe Shanahan

- I do question whether he gets to our selection and the Giants may take him before us unfortunately.

2. Toby Travagalia

- Big fan of this kid, and this is a bit of a needs based selection, would shore up that defence with a talent that's too good to let go further down

3. Harry Armstrong

- He's the bloke that could go anywhere, will he be there at 20-21 no idea, but if he's there we may take a tall forward, nice looking set shot.

4. Angus Clarke

-He is the forgotten bloke in this top 30, purely and simply as he's from SA and everyone doesn't rate them. High footy IQ.

5. Jack Whitlock

- Don't rate him over the other two keys i listed BUT he may be the one that's realistically available. Bare in mnd it's likely Melbourne who need a KPF badly will take one of these talls, surely.

6. Kayle Gareyn

- Would/could be an upgrade on McLean so purely on needs may be one we look at.

Sorry I do not rate Davis or Hynes at all really, not sure I'd spend a top 25 selection there, if the club does so be it, but personally don't rate.

The Stringer proposed recruitment is a strange one from the Magpies but maybe they want him to work more out of the middle and rest up forward? Who knows🤷‍♀️

that's pretty much always been his problem ... and why i wouldn't want him at my club
just watching him on television, he seems to work only when it suits him ... he has always seemed to put himself first
compare stringer to, say, logan mcdonald, who always seems to be doing team things ahead of thinking about his personal stats
i'm a cleveland browns fan (stop laughing!) and i really struggle supporting the team with deshaun watson in it, i would feel similarly conflicted if somehow stringer ended up at the swans (as has apparently been rumoured)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back