• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to be disrespectful but why would they? No games, lots of injuries to himself and other players

He will get another go somewhere if Paddy Dow can so will he. Where no idea Carlton makes some sense

But KB is an unparalleled genius who can do no wrong 🤪

That COVID draft was always going to be a bunch of hail Mary’s in fact a lot said it at the time we didn’t have the data with those players

Dalrymple has to share the blame as well

Not the other managers that did poorly that draft, everyone just looks at the Weddle trade into next year thing we did and say how bad it was. It literally was a draft no one had a clue on

Twomey's latest Phantom Draft continues to be (in my view) incredibly Vic-centric.

No Kayle Gerreyn, no Hamish Davis in the top 30.

ESPN has them both firmly in the top 30.

I'd be amazed if Twomey hasn't stuffed this one up. There's some good WA talent this year & he seems to not know about it.

If we aren't gonna play them then because we can't fit them into our structure, then that just speaks to my problem.

I just really feel like our lack of a forward 50 ground ball game could really cost us. Which I realise sounds incredibly silly, considering we're literally two wins away from a premiership, and we finished top of the ladder and are going into a prelim final having won four games in a row. But it just feels like the teams that win those ground balls and pressure best inside 50 seem to capitalise on their momentum the most, and if anything, the game is trending even further in that direction.

I do think a sacrifice needs to be made somewhere, either with a tall, or a flanker, or a resting mid, to get at least one dangerous ground level player into the forward line. I really think it will be worth it.
I hear your point and also often wonder if we should tinker with going smaller. My sense is that Longmire will go slightly smaller next year by switching out Parker for a proper small forward (likely Cleary or Hanily) but he will keep the three talls.

Int he meantime though, it helps to remember (that is, IF my memory serves me correctly) that we are the most efficient team going inside 50 and third best team in preventing scores from turnovers in our attacking 50. Our structure must be somewhat working at the very least.

A couple of extra points, it can be risky to follow the crowd (particularly when they go against his the AFL wants the game played, I reckon they will be considering changes to protect the KPF roles) and also our 3 talls will keep improving. By sticking to our guns, we might find ourselves very well placed as the game’s balance ebbs and flows.

Twomey's latest Phantom Draft continues to be (in my view) incredibly Vic-centric.

No Kayle Gerreyn, no Hamish Davis in the top 30.

ESPN has them both firmly in the top 30.

I'd be amazed if Twomey hasn't stuffed this one up. There's some good WA talent this year & he seems to not know about it.

Can see Davis slipping, you may be right there, but he's in that 20-40 range with the latter being the latest. Think Gerryn goes way earlier than many think have him on my list (previous page). Ther are always a few that slip. For the record Finn O Sullivan is my slider and that's despite me rating him massively last year, clubs will stay away from him with his injury.

I'd give him one more year. He's shown a few glimpses of talent and clearly can stick a tackle - just ask Mills

I’d give him another year purely because he’s the type that I think we need a few more of in today’s game - small, zippy half forwards who have skill and can chase, tackle and run. I mean, he might not end up being good enough at senior level but I’d give him another year to find out.

I’d give him another year purely because he’s the type that I think we need a few more of in today’s game - small, zippy half forwards who have skill and can chase, tackle and run. I mean, he might not end up being good enough at senior level but I’d give him another year to find out.

Same, unless it's beneficial to trade (upgrade in a serious round) then lets keep him. What's the worst that happens? We delist him next year, meh the upside is there

I have a connection so i really hope we do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would comfortably be best XXII at West Coast.

I doubt he’ll ask for a trade this year - but if he doesn’t become one of Horse’s favourites next year, why would he stay?

I find it troubling. Even Nathan Buckley has said he’ll be a star of the comp …..but I’m starting to get Tom Mitchell vibes about things.

Of course, the injuries have been a huge impediment. Everything could change if he gets a decent run at it next year.
Mitchell left because Horse couldn’t stand him. Horse couldn’t stand him because he didn’t do the team things.

Now while I think that Horse could have handled it better, I don’t think Sheldrick has anything to worry about if he does the team things and takes on feedback. Once he is fit and firing, he will get his opportunity I am sure.

Mitchell left because Horse couldn’t stand him. Horse couldn’t stand him because he didn’t do the team things.

Now while I think that Horse could have handled it better, I don’t think Sheldrick has anything to worry about if he does the team things and takes on feedback. Once he is fit and firing, he will get his opportunity I am sure.
Mitchell and Horse were clearly not pals, but he was a regular Best 22 player with a bright future for us. He left for a combination of more money, to be closer to family, and a prime midfield spot, given he had JPK, Jack, Hanners etc to compete with (though he was still a key member of the team).

I hear your point and also often wonder if we should tinker with going smaller. My sense is that Longmire will go slightly smaller next year by switching out Parker for a proper small forward (likely Cleary or Hanily) but he will keep the three talls.

Int he meantime though, it helps to remember (that is, IF my memory serves me correctly) that we are the most efficient team going inside 50 and third best team in preventing scores from turnovers in our attacking 50. Our structure must be somewhat working at the very least.

A couple of extra points, it can be risky to follow the crowd (particularly when they go against his the AFL wants the game played, I reckon they will be considering changes to protect the KPF roles) and also our 3 talls will keep improving. By sticking to our guns, we might find ourselves very well placed as the game’s balance ebbs and flows.
All good points.

However I don't think it's a matter of being "too tall" or "going small." I think it's just about our ground level game and if we have enough of it.

I'm not necessarily advocating we abandon the three talls. Most teams this year, including those still in the running, have gone with three key forwards, and as Kiama Chris has repeatedly pointed out, it's rare that all three are ever on the ground or in the forward line at the same time.

I just think, and I've banged on about this all year, that if we are going to go with three talls, then we have to have that strong ground level presence at their feet, especially if they're forwards who aren't exactly great at taking marks as is the case with ours.

For the first three quarters against GWS, it seemed plain to me that our forward 50 pressure wasn't up to standard. We could hardly win a ground ball inside the forward line, and so many balls were crumbed by Giants defenders, who waltzed out of our forward 50 with handball chains that were almost unimpeded. It didn't shock me that we started to look more potent inside 50 in the 4th quarter, when Campbell was brought on as sub (worth noting that McLean the tall spent only 50% TOG in that last term.) All of a sudden you had Florent, Campbell, Papley twice, winning ground balls that led directly to goals. According to the heat maps on the AFL app, the 4th quarter was the only quarter the whole game where the majority of our possessions weren't in the defensive half.

So have we shown we can bring enough pressure and physicality and cleanliness at ground level and speed inside 50? Yes, but only when we've made it a focus. But you can't field a forward line with one small forward and not a single player elite in the pressure area and then be surprised when the ball is just pinging back out with ease.

I understand your point about not always following the rest of the competition, but I think it's a fine line between not following the competition and being left behind by the competition. I think we run the risk of that happening in the future if we don't pivot towards a better ground level game inside 50.

Just my thoughts. Sorry for the long post.

SWANS EYE HAWKS DEFENDER​

SYDNEY has registered interest in Hawthorn key defender Sam Frost.

The 31-year-old hit a trigger for a one-year extension earlier this season, but West Coast star Tom Barrass and unrestricted free agent Josh Battle have both committed to joining the Hawks in October.

Hawthorn has assured Frost there is a spot for him in Sam Mitchell’s backline in 2025, but there will be a selection squeeze with James Blanck also set to return from a knee reconstruction.

Frost produced a career-best season in 2024 before a stress fracture was discovered in his foot following the elimination final win over the Western Bulldogs.

After starting his career at Greater Western Sydney, where he played 21 games across three seasons, Frost has played 90 games for Hawthorn, following 70 appearances for Melbourne.

Frost turned 31 late last month but has the athleticism and professionalism to play for another few years in the AFL.

Sydney recruited Joel Hamling last October to provide coverage in defence, but the West Australian has been played as a forward in the VFL, with former top-10 pick Aaron Francis the next man in down back when Tom McCartin or Dane Rampe have been injured.

St Kilda is also understood to be interested in Frost to help cover the loss of Battle.

Interesting given Hawthorn is assuring him he has spot in the best 22 next year.

I think he'd be a really good pick-up but would he even be in our best 22? I wouldn't be replacing Melican and Rampe given their seasons. You could make a case for McCartin given he has struggled this season.

In any case, I'd feel a lot better about our key defender stocks with all 4 of them.

Interesting given Hawthorn is assuring him he has spot in the best 22 next year.

I think he'd be a really good pick-up but would he even be in our best 22? I wouldn't be replacing Melican and Rampe given their seasons. You could make a case for McCartin given he has struggled this season.

In any case, I'd feel a lot better about our key defender stocks with all 4 of them.
Agree it would be a great depth piece but are we really going to pay a FRP for a depth piece for 12-24 months? Think i would much rather someone who is 24-27 bracket cause you can get many years out of them

SWANS EYE HAWKS DEFENDER​

SYDNEY has registered interest in Hawthorn key defender Sam Frost.

The 31-year-old hit a trigger for a one-year extension earlier this season, but West Coast star Tom Barrass and unrestricted free agent Josh Battle have both committed to joining the Hawks in October.

Hawthorn has assured Frost there is a spot for him in Sam Mitchell’s backline in 2025, but there will be a selection squeeze with James Blanck also set to return from a knee reconstruction.

Frost produced a career-best season in 2024 before a stress fracture was discovered in his foot following the elimination final win over the Western Bulldogs.

After starting his career at Greater Western Sydney, where he played 21 games across three seasons, Frost has played 90 games for Hawthorn, following 70 appearances for Melbourne.

Frost turned 31 late last month but has the athleticism and professionalism to play for another few years in the AFL.

Sydney recruited Joel Hamling last October to provide coverage in defence, but the West Australian has been played as a forward in the VFL, with former top-10 pick Aaron Francis the next man in down back when Tom McCartin or Dane Rampe have been injured.

St Kilda is also understood to be interested in Frost to help cover the loss of Battle.

barack-obama-what.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back