• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the impact of the draft points changes next year can be underestimated.

It isn't just a case of we can just figure it out next year.

King and Carmichael, and to a lesser extent, Chamberlin, all look like potentially very high picks. If two of them ended up in the top 15, we would likely need three or four picks under 25 just to match their bids. As it stands, we would have one.

While we will be able to trade future picks two years in advance next year, I think relying on that would be a risky strategy that would eventually catch up with us. Especially when the 2026 group also looks really talented.

We will get a better idea of where our 17yos sit next Saturday in the futures game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we move one of our first two picks into next year's draft. Which would be frustrating given this year's draft is so highly touted, but it might be the smart move.

Quick check of last 15 rounds of firsts

First rounders:
Green, Cleary, Konstanty, Sheldrick, Logan, Campbell, Stephens, Blakey, Ling, Florent, Hayward, Mills, Heeney, Jones, Towers, Mitchell, Lamb, Rohan, Jetta, Lewis Johnston

Currently on list = 11/20
Shennigans (academy and f/s) = 6/20
Best 23 as of Qual final = 7/20 first rounders

Not horrible, but definitely academy doing a lot of the heavy lifting
So out of that:

Johnston - cross
Rohan - cross (for his draft position, although #6 is cursed)
Jetta - tick
Lamb - cross
Titchell - shenangians
Towers - cross (but a very shallow draft, not many players picked after him that were clearly better)
Jones - tick I guess?
Heeney - shenangians
Mills - shenangians
Florent - tick
Hayward - tick
Ling - cross
Blakey - shenanigans
Stephens - cross
McDonald - tick (but still early-ish days)
Campbell - shenanigans
Sheldrick - jury still out
Konstanty - jury still out but doesn't look good
Green - jury still out
Cleary - shenanigans

Not sure how that would compare to others, because it's so Academy heavy it's hard to tell. It looks OK but a bit all over the shop.

That said, there are a few firsts before 2008 that were really bad.

I don't think the impact of the draft points changes next year can be underestimated.

It isn't just a case of we can just figure it out next year.

King and Carmichael, and to a lesser extent, Chamberlin, all look like potentially very high picks. If two of them ended up in the top 15, we would likely need three or four picks under 25 just to match their bids. As it stands, we would have one.

While we will be able to trade future picks two years in advance next year, I think relying on that would be a risky strategy that would eventually catch up with us. Especially when the 2026 group also looks really talented.

We will get a better idea of where our 17yos sit next Saturday in the futures game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we move one of our first two picks into next year's draft. Which would be frustrating given this year's draft is so highly touted, but it might be the smart move.

I was just looking at the points for next year, it's a bomb site.

Based on quick maths in my head... not necessarily trustworthy.... anyway, in the scenario that you win the cup and have a pick 1 incoming, your 1st, 2nd and 3rd would barely get you half way to matching the points required.

So, my take out, the go-home card just got stronger and cheaper for the club and we have no chance of matching all 3 next year

Based on quick maths in my head... not necessarily trustworthy.... anyway, in the scenario that you win the cup and have a pick 1 incoming, your 1st, 2nd and 3rd would barely get you half way to matching the points required.

So, my take out, the go-home card just got stronger and cheaper for the club and we have no chance of matching all 3 next year

Currently would have Carmichael in the teens next year with King and Chamberlain in the second/third round.

But a whole heap can change

That's why we all always need to be planning ahead.

Unless they are literally all top 5 picks, there is no reason why we couldn't match three bids next year. But we might need to sacrifice a good selection in this year's draft.

I think the new system is fair and should have come in straight away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were thinking of doing something like that, better to wait until draft night. We would get better offers then.
Agree, like we did with Hawthorn 2 years ago - turned 16 into a 2nd, and 2 future picks

Have 3 or 4 clubs lined up, and see which one comes with the highest offer if they want a player who's still there

Agree, like we did with Hawthorn 2 years ago - turned 16 into a 2nd, and 2 future picks

Have 3 or 4 clubs lined up, and see which one comes with the highest offer if they want a player who's still there

Hawthorn might be the team again. They are aggressive. And they are full of themselves, so will probably be assuming a top 4 birth next year.

17/18 for Hawthorn future 1st and 30. I think we could probably get even more than that on draft night.

Hawthorn might be the team again. They are aggressive. And they are full of themselves, so will probably be assuming a top 4 birth next year.

17/18 for Hawthorn future 1st and 30. I think we could probably get even more than that on draft night.
Won't be the Hawks because i expect Barrass to be 1st in 24 and 25 and the Hawks get Barrass and WCE 2nd. So maybe we could do Pick 19 or 20 for WCE 2nd and Hawks 2nd, but isn't there a rule about trading away more than one pick in future drafts?

Must admit I have been paying very little attention to the draft this year as we have been on top of the table so I was thinking we would likely have a pick after pick 15 at best so at that sort of range it becomes harder to predict who and who won't be available.

Given our needs though I would like us to either go after a lock down key defender or possibly an in and under midfielder.

Also I really hope Sheldrick does not leave. I rate him a lot.

Could be a few clubs, there are reportedly a few clubs wanting to trade into this draft, so we can ask for a bit of a premium

Could potentially flip both picks separately for similar deals - turn the 2 picks into up to 4, 5, or even 6

Won't be the Hawks because i expect Barrass to be 1st in 24 and 25 and the Hawks get Barrass and WCE 2nd. So maybe we could do Pick 19 or 20 for WCE 2nd and Hawks 2nd, but isn't there a rule about trading away more than one pick in future drafts?

You can trade more than one pick in future drafts.

As I understand it, the rule about pick trading is that you can't trade your current first round pick away if you haven't selected twice in first round in the previous four drafts. But like everything with the AFL it is vague and can be waived if you ask nicely.

You might be right about the Barrass deal, but I think we would be able to do a lot better than a couple of pick in the second round if we are willing to move one of our first two picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back