• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Blowtorch should start going on Beatson now. If he ****s up the next 2 drafts then he should go.

2022 draft is an absolute disaster right now.
This is what Beatson said about Vickery

"We just think we have been looking for a small defender that can play on the likes of Kysiah Pickett, Charlie Cameron and Cody Weightman.

"They're the ones that get under your skin and are hard to match up on. We think he has the potential to be able to do that."
Someone like that would have been handy on Lohmann 😭

Blowtorch should start going on Beatson now. If he ****s up the next 2 drafts then he should go.

That draft was HEAVILY impacted by Covid, it was always going to be a lottery, kids were picked off very little form and games. We went a need pick in Konstanty, were linked to Ed Allen (went a pick prior) he;s hardly been fantastic either.

Look at who was drafted after pick 20 - there’s basically not a quality AFL player among them.

Horribly shallow draft. If you didn’t have a top 18 pick, you got nothing much.

Yep thats probably true, wonder how much of impact on Papley's output will come from just having a 2-2-2 forward line rather than 3-1-2. Personally i think that if we went into next year with a forward line of:
2 talls - McDonald McLean
2 mediums - Hayward and Davis/Hynes
2 smalls - Papley and Campbell

7th forward would be Cleary who can share some midfield time with Gussy who i would have as the 4th on baller

We would far so much better and not only would the two "new" guys impact more than those they replace but it would raise the level of those previously in the forward line
Love this set up. Looks like a much more functional set up. My only question is whether Amartey needs to be one of the key talls. I would argue his upside is higher than the other 2 and is better at bringing the ball to ground.

Look at who was drafted after pick 20 - there’s basically not a quality AFL player among them.

Horribly shallow draft. If you didn’t have a top 18 pick, you got nothing much.

I'd go further top 10 was good and that's about it, there's probably 4-5 others in the whole draft. Fairly sure Ollie Hollands went pick 11 and he's been ultra underwhelming, Busslinger hasn't even played a game (he was one I really liked). Awful draft but was heavily impacted by COVID. Everyone looks at Weddle and sure, but the trade made sense at the time as it was protecting us when we had no idea on these kids at that point. If we didn't rate the talls why take one just because?

Ehhh i think Gulden at 32 and Warner at 39 gives Beatson a ton of credits just saying.

Yeah but his putrid drafting of firsts is the counter argument there for many

Love this set up. Looks like a much more functional set up. My only question is whether Amartey needs to be one of the key talls. I would argue his upside is higher than the other 2 and is better at bringing the ball to ground.
I would look at playing McDonald at CHB early games 2025 but have a big question mark against him at this stage.

Not according to Harley. But who knows? Heeney has wanted to be a mid for 10 years now and it only took mass injuries to give him a go.
Well… and the fact he got his body right.

It’s not like Heeney hadn’t played through the midfield before, he just couldn’t do it full time previously.

I would look at playing McDonald at CHB early games 2025 but have a big question mark against him at this stage.

No thank you whatsoever. He's our long term forward how about we keep him there. Choose one of the other two at this stage I really don't care which one both have significant issues as the second forward. I'd actually reduce our talls by 1, we are way too tall, yes the mids copped a pantsing on saturday...ourr lack of defensive pressure when we actually got it in was amazingly worse. Need 2 pressure forwards, I'd try Campbell as one, you'd assume Cleary straight for Parker.

Hard disagree.

Didn't look good down back.

I'd look at playing him and 1 of Amartey/McLean up forward, surrounded by Hayward, Warner (if he stays), Papley, Campbell, Cleary, Wicks, Hanily etc.

Whilst Cleary may start forward the bloke is a bonafide midfielder, and I don't trust Horse to play Campbell where he should be (I agree with you but he won't do it). Wicks being amazing? As what? We need to spend a high pick on a pressure forward and badly. Hanily might be the second best one we have on the list and he's not even signed yet I think.
The whole 'pressure forward' thing is overrated. Teams with functional small forwards use them as actual forward targets first and foremost. Majority of Lohman, Cameron and co's highlights throughout the year are of them gaining separation from their opponents and actually marking the ball in space. Majority of their goals come from set shots. Every time I watch brisbane Lohman's gets hit on the tit leading out of the forward pocket at least 3 times a game. Crumbing is secondary, and pressure is last on the agenda.

Focussing on pressure from your forwards is actually tiresome and inefficient, and it's hard to maintain that intensity for the length of a game. Defence should only be the focus if an attempt to score fails, and that should be a given.

We need to actually set up our forward line to have those small forward as targets leading into space. That's exactly how brisbane use their small forwards, how Collingwood uses Bobby Hill, and how Geelong use Stengle and Henry. Us on the other hand like to push our small forwards up the ground to find an overlap then rely on Joe the goose over the top as best case scenario, or a contest inside 50. Majority ends up in an easy intercept because oppo defenders have more space in our own forward line than us ffs. That wouldn't be an issue if you play your small forward deep.

Wicks has the agility and enough height to be a genuine loose marking target inside 50 but he is wasted trying to find the ball 50 -70 out and then defend. Despite that he has show the ability to shake loose and mark one out at times. We've got the ingredients we just need to use them in the correct order. Parker only worked in our current system because he's a strong contested grab and doesn't rely on finding space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are still waiting to see it, but maybe it won't arrive. Sometimes the low draft picks are expected to come good but may have reached a ceiling early in their career. If he could start clunking a few big marks more regularly it would give me a more confidence but too often he is nudged out of the way or isnt in position.

The whole 'pressure forward' thing is overrated. Teams with functional small forwards use them as actual forward targets first and foremost. Majority of Lohman, Cameron and co's highlights throughout the year are of them gaining separation from their opponents and actually marking the ball in space. Majority of their goals come from set shots. Every time I watch brisbane Lohman's gets hit on the tit leading out of the forward pocket at least 3 times a game. Crumbing is secondary, and pressure is last on the agenda.

Focussing on pressure from your forwards is actually tiresome and inefficient, and it's hard to maintain that intensity for the length of a game. Defence should only be the focus if an attempt to score fails, and that should be a given.

We need to actually set up our forward line to have those small forward as targets leading into space. That's exactly how brisbane use their small forwards, how Collingwood uses Bobby Hill, and how Geelong use Stengle and Henry. Us on the other hand like to push our small forwards up the ground to find an overlap then rely on Joe the goose over the top as best case scenario, or a contest inside 50. Majority ends up in an easy intercept because oppo defenders have more space in our own forward line than us ffs. That wouldn't be an issue if you play your small forward deep.

Wicks has the agility and enough height to be a genuine loose marking target inside 50 but he is wasted trying to find the ball 50 -70 out and then defend. Despite that he has show the ability to shake loose and mark one out at times. We've got the ingredients we just need to use them in the correct order. Parker only worked in our current system because he's a strong contested grab and doesn't rely on finding space.

End of the day pressure is everything in todays game with the 6-6-6 rule, you have a lack of pressure you concede goals and plenty, look at our hideous defensive pressure in losses (not just the GF). Ideally you want a player that does all of these (Charlie Cameron, Paps, etc), but they aren't cheap and if you are drafting these they are going very high. Nick Watson wouldn't be near a top 10 pick a decade ago, he's the current modern day prototype. I'm a big fan of Hotton in this years draft, watch him go way higher than many think for this reason.

Our structure has to be better, and we need to get rid of a tall, sorry to be blunt we have to. Campbell goes to small forward. Chad to half forward, splitting time with Cleary, split the latter whatever way you wish. That to me is so much better. Both Cleary and Campbell will create pressure and both demand the footy.

Not bothering with Wicks, these players that try hard, well you get Carlton's current small forwardline, ask their fans what they think of it!

End of the day pressure is everything in todays game with the 6-6-6 rule, you have a lack of pressure you concede goals and plenty, look at our hideous defensive pressure in losses (not just the GF). Ideally you want a player that does all of these (Charlie Cameron, Paps, etc), but they aren't cheap and if you are drafting these they are going very high. Nick Watson wouldn't be near a top 10 pick a decade ago, he's the current modern day prototype. I'm a big fan of Hotton in this years draft, watch him go way higher than many think for this reason.

Our structure has to be better, and we need to get rid of a tall, sorry to be blunt we have to. Campbell goes to small forward. Chad to half forward, splitting time with Cleary, split the latter whatever way you wish. That to me is so much better. Both Cleary and Campbell will create pressure and both demand the footy.

Not bothering with Wicks, these players that try hard, well you get Carlton's current small forwardline, ask their fans what they think of it!
It's hard to make something out of trying hard when Carlton literally bomb every opportunity down the line. They are a pure and simple example of why 'get the ball into 50 and apply pressure' doesn't work. It's also why Melbourne are so inefficient inside 50, they do the same thing, and it's pretty obvious why majority of their easier scores come from Fritsch who actually works to find space.

Focussing on pressure to win a ball you are already in possession of is the dumbest tactic there is. Switching to pressure is only useful once you've lost the ball. Until then the focus should be identify a target who is able to gain separation from their direct opponent and retain possession. Imagine being Wicks who's tasked with only finding the ball in attempting to pressure defenders running back at goal once we've already lost the pill, what a depressing existence whilst all Lohman has to do is run off his opponent and get hit on the tit. Pressure first forward focus is such an arduous and inefficient means of playing.

I mean it's pretty simple when you think about it.. There's a reason why our small forwards struggle to get into the game, and it's not a personnel issue.

I think the pressure game you are referring to is in general play, which majority of the time is in the middle where the ball is in dispute. There's no argument there.

Last edited:
I actually don’t think the list needs any major surgery, it’s the game plan and senior coach that need to be changed

Obviously there are areas where we can improve as our depth isn’t great, but we don’t need to do anything outlandish, just be clever

it is surprising how long the contacts some academy boys seem to need to stay around
Do they need it or do they want it? It would be nice to just not have to worry about your contract every year. First few years they'd get paid more than they're worth but towards the end they should be under market value

it is surprising how long the contacts some academy boys seem to need to stay around

Not a surprise many take it to free agency and players are negligent if they don’t

Suspect they are taking under market value, but for longer.

We also want to make the academy attractive for kids to join and stick with it, instead of racking off to League, so can't appear to be too cheap with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back