• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been a longstanding thought process of mine (since sometime late Saturday afternoon), that the following is our best shot at a flag next year... not likely still.

• Mills and Sheldrick to mids
  • Heeney still mids mostly, but don't wear him out
  • Warner to half forward
  • Fox back (where Mills would have been)
  • Drop one of McLean/Amartey
  • As agreed, Campbell, Cleary etc up fwd

Horse can get stuffed if he thinks we're winning one without these changes.
I like all of that as long as Warner spends half his time in the mids - with the instruction to actually go get the footy, not hang round the fringes like his name is Chad Wingard - which has got to be the instruction he had this year and last.

It's been a longstanding thought process of mine (since sometime late Saturday afternoon), that the following is our best shot at a flag next year... not likely still.

• Mills and Sheldrick to mids
  • Heeney still mids mostly, but don't wear him out
  • Warner to half forward
  • Fox back (where Mills would have been)
  • Drop one of McLean/Amartey
  • As agreed, Campbell, Cleary etc up fwd

Horse can get stuffed if he thinks we're winning one without these changes.

Yep, this is spot on although Warner obviously in the mids rotation

Would also like to see:

Adams getting a chance as inside mid along with Sheldrick

Some player rotation throughout the season, particularly some younger guys getting some chances while our seniors are rested

Some experimentation, in particular a few different positional switches. Blakey forward is fine, it shouldn’t take being 10 goals down in a GF to come up with it

In the national champs last year clearances:
Reid 6.5
McKercher 5.5
Sanders 5.0
Cleary 4.1

And you have to remember that those last 3 played in the same side
I think this might be misleading. Cleary was the one getting in and under and getting the ball to McKercher and Sanders. It may be that these short taps and handballs were not counted as clearances.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Reid was the last player we had at either end who could consistently take contested grabs. We desperately need someone now who can do that to help us clear the defensive half.
If Logan can’t become that player, we have a problem - he might be able to kick a nice pass from the wing, but we have players who can do that coming out of our ears, and they can also run all day.

Cleary has won a total of 3 clearances. Putting a lot of pressure on him. Same with Sheldrick they're not going to come in and revolutionise our mid in 1 season
In regards to revolutionizing the midfield, if we are to assume that Heeney & Rowbottom are the "immovables" as clearly our two best clearance and ball-winning players in there, then anyone else - Sheldrick, Mills, Adams, any potential trade recruits - only need to offer more than Warner & Gulden in this sense. Considering those two were 72nd & 77th in the comp respectively for clearances, and 75th & 73rd in the comp respectively for contested possessions... I would say it's actually not a massively high bar for any newcomer into the midfield mix to exceed. We just have to be willing to prioritise those things in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Australian club captain who can play in a number of roles, is tied up until he is 32. How is that a bad contract? One injured season and people forget how valuable he is to the club
Until I see him play some decent football again it remains a bad contract imo. He looked awful this year. A liability at times.

Corey Warmer to throw a massive curve ball and request a trade to one of the WA clubs. That would put the Swans in a tough spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back