• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

so the AFL is going to change the Acadamey draft rules the same year we have a bumper crop? Figures...

Everyone has known about it and it really doesn’t affect us that much. Bare in mind the trading two years into the future comes in too

I don't see a world where the Swans end up with Harry Armstrong. Melbourne, St Kilda and Essendon (If Kako doesn't go prior) will grab him.
With so many B2B picks there will be someone trading out though.
Freo with picks 10/11 might like to trade back to GSW or Swans to make sure they get their trades done.

A Swans deal could be:
Swans: 19/22/44 (Parker trade) for 11

I wouldn't be surprised if the target is Travaglia. Have his progression similar to Roberts.
Trainor makes a lot of sense for us at 13.

so the AFL is going to change the Acadamey draft rules the same year we have a bumper crop? Figures...
Good decision by the AFL in my opinion. The draft is way too compromised. Had to do something after the Suns got 4 academy picks in the first. First pick in the second round of the 2023 draft was 29. Not fair to the bottom few clubs. We already have 6 players on our list at 20% discount. Some clubs have 0 or 1.

It might be worth holding onto both late first round picks rather than reading for 13 purely as trade bait for live trades if someone slips down the order. Potentially snag some good picks for next year when we need them for trading back for points.
heck next year's academy picks - we need some tough athletic talent NOW.
We can use the following year's draft to get those picks done next year.
Go get a difference maker this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King is unreal.

Aside from injuries and/or him being hidden next year, Ill give away watching the academy games if he isn't a top 10 pick.
I think King goes in the 15-20 region tbh just due to him having such an injury riddled u17 year and also him being an academy player with a flight risk means he falls 5-10 places

Until u realise we have Snell and Cochran who play the intercepting key tall role and Blakey who is the AA in the half back intercepting flanker role
Need someone next year, not in 3 years after they've had a nice run in the VFL for a year.

Window is only open for so long. Trainor back and Blakey forward? We need a foward capable of making a strong lead and marking it in the air. Blakey is it. No kid is going to come in and do that, but they might play intercepting role down back - especially if they are really good by foot too.

Need someone next year, not in 3 years after they've had a nice run in the VFL for a year.

Window is only open for so long. Trainor back and Blakey forward? We need a foward capable of making a strong lead and marking it in the air. Blakey is it. No kid is going to come in and do that, but they might play intercepting role down back - especially if they are really good by foot too.
And Trainor takes a couple years of development any so whats your point given he wouldn't play next year?

For a second here lets take the names out of it. You want to move the AA intercepting half back into the forward line for a draftee?

Can we can the Blakey forward talk he’s awful there. Just no we aren’t moving our AA HBF.

And Trainor takes a couple years of development any so whats your point given he wouldn't play next year?

For a second here lets take the names out of it. You want to move the AA intercepting half back into the forward line for a draftee?

Only thing I will say is no reason Trainor can’t play games, Michelaeney played games for the Crows as that type early on. Realistically though whoever we pick assuming it’s talls aren’t playing next year anyway- a small forward might though. It’s why I’ve warmed to taking the best small forward first up best tall at 21. Just don’t see the point in trading up I’d rather take one of each at that range

What’s worse is we say how putrid he was as a forward. There’s a good reason we spent years finding his position and it ain’t as a forward where he’d barely get the ball…and Blakey drives me mad the way he uses it. He's still an All Australian half back he sure ain’t going to be one in the forward line

What’s worse is we say how putrid he was as a forward. There’s a good reason we spent years finding his position and it ain’t as a forward where he’d barely get the ball…and Blakey drives me mad the way he uses it. He's still an All Australian half back he sure ain’t going to be one in the forward line
I could say maybe to a wing but we have 2 of the best 5 wingers in the comp.

Only thing I will say is no reason Trainor can’t play games, Michelaeney played games for the Crows as that type early on. Realistically though whoever we pick assuming it’s talls aren’t playing next year anyway- a small forward might though. It’s why I’ve warmed to taking the best small forward first up best tall at 21. Just don’t see the point in trading up I’d rather take one of each at that range
Michalanney was also different because Adelaide defence was and still is dog water so he had to play games. Secondly he isn't really a key defender more so a taller medium defender. For the Swans he would be used as a third tall and wouldn't be playing over Rampe or McCartin or Melican anytime soon

Plugging in our anticipated academy players over the next two years into the list.

Cochrane in 2024
Carmichael, King and Chamberlain in 2025.
A nice mix of players. Nice size about some too.

View attachment 2138770
To add to those I'd like to see a key tall forward up close to 200 but with a decent frame. Chamberlain and King seem like third tall material at 191/2cm unless they bulk up a fair bit. Chamberlain apparently can play wing/outside as well. A bit taller than McInerney.
Carmichael the elusive medium defender.
I wonder if we intend to rookie McCartin.

Yep. Exactly.
Our forward line is so diabolically poor we need to change something.
We are simply not going to win a grand final playing those three talls. Never in a million years.

If we can get someone who can get the same meters gained using their boot as Blakey's running, then have a forward capable of getting away from his man and marking the football.....

It's he or Heeney really. Nobody else is going to do it on our list.

Last edited:
Can we can the Blakey forward talk he’s awful there. Just no we aren’t moving our AA HBF.
He WAS awful there.
I'd imagine he is better there now than the people we have there. By some considerable margin.
Mclean out, Blakey in to the forward line.

Anyways I'd at least try it in the pre season.
Whether Trainor is the answer IDK...I quite like the sound of Tauru as the kind of player we need on our list ATM.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back