Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

60-0 is horrendous and players should get their right whack for the lack of effort.

But watching sides like Hawthorn and Geelong replenish their lists with young players - some of whom come off the scrap heap - and win, whereas Carlton look like they'd reanimate the corpse of Soapy Vallence for one last crack if they could, is what gets me.

Maybe the personnel is there or thereabouts (when healthy), but the method behind it is not.

Exactly this.

They browse the department stores.
Carlton seems to love the Op Shop.

I just dont understand how Cinc didn't play, it makes absolutely no sense to me. TDK obviously wasnt fit, so they gambled on him as sub, in the end it looks like he shouldve started. But what does having a ruckman as sub offer? It just felt awful. I pray Kennedy was injured and not tactical, because if not he must feel absolutely awful.

If Kennedy was tactical, how is he chosen over Durdin (or Motlop)? That can't make sense no matter how you explain it. Baffling stuff.

In the end Doch was hardly the biggest problem and he didnt keep any superstars out, so no issues there, he was ok to play and was far from worst on ground.

Not sure how we explain how flat we started.

Ad-hominems. Wonderful classy response.

It would be more baffling to think otherwise.

Critical moments are few and are obsolete when the result is against us.

It is one thing to make a presence and win the ball... another to know how to dispose of it. Watch much of that game again and try telling me with a straight face Acres was good tonight.
So 1 bad night means the worst in the Comp? Right. Good one, well thought out. :thumbsdownv1::roflv1:

Another wasted season.

Yeah, Voss has taken us to two final series in a row, but who cares if we’re not there on the final Saturday of the year.

My only shred of hope is Inness. And that shred is pretty small. But for Voss the clock is now ticking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be fair, most coaches would take this list to finals. I'm not going to make this about the coach even if that is a fair talking point.

This team though plays low IQ footy. There are so many little things. The major fundamentals are to not get beaten in the air, at least contest. Don't kick down the line to Durdin of all people. That's asking for an aerial intercept. We are so flat footed at ground level when it does come to ground. It's keeping the ball in play instead of forcing the throw in. It's not stupidly tapping or dropping the ball in congestion rather than locking it in and forcing a ball up. We can't cover the spread when it spills out to the opposition so lock the pill in and play to our strengths.

I think a big issue is we still can't work out our best line up and structure given we seem to repeatedly kick down the line to smalls and not having a tall in sight. Our pressure and effort is there most matches (one of the highest rated in the comp), it's poor structures and lack of fundamentals that hurt us. It's fixable.

So disappointed that we didn’t turn up to play for most of the first half. TDK as the sub was a head scratcher. It became apparent that it was a mistake once TDK came on and the game turned. I’m feeling for Kennedy right now. That should never have happened. To see him on the bench and in the rooms he looked angry and who can blame him. So many sub choices and we picked the wrong one.

As for the game itself. We talk about our contest and pressure and it was non existent for 50 odd minutes of this match. To think that we let Zorko and Wilmot run around, collect all those loose balls and distribute it to free players was extremely frustrating.

The penny dropped very late in the 1st half. Who’d have figured that run and carry, a bit of risk taking puts pressure on your opponents. It certainly transferred onto the scoreboard and saved us from a monumental defeat.

Special mentions to Hewitt, Walsh and Cripps who helped turn the game. Ollie Hollands and whoever played on Wilmot certainly nullified them in the second half. There were a few others in the front and back half but certainly too many went missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a Voss supporter..

It’s now hard to stay committed, when his game plan is as restrictive on our flair as a Ross Lyon coached group…

Then you see Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney, GWS and Brisbane all play exciting modern day football…

Injuries don’t help, but they are not all the story.. Key, highly paid players have gone backwards this year…

Austin and the clubs belief that this is a premiership list needs to change.

Time is now to be brave and attack the trade and draft period, to fill the missing pieces we need. While moving some contracted players on.

We are carrying the worst small forward brigade in the comp.

Our stars and play makers are aging rapidly Cripps, Newman, Saad, McGovern.

Plus Tasmania concessions happen in a few years..

What a debacle. I was literally gagging to get TDK back because I know he is almost our most important player. Obviously Voss does not know. the likes of Kennedy, Cincotta and Owies should be mightily pissed off that Fantasia, Motlop and Durdin were regarded as more important based on giving absolutely nothing for months.

Yep but our midfield is so flat footed I’m gathering Voss thought TDK could make it better for our forwards by his inclusion.

But you’re right, I’ve stated numerous times this year our forward mix isn’t right especially our smalls. They are doing next to nothing and letting it leave our forward line all to easy.
Small Mid sized

Fantasia, Durdin (4 disposals) Motlop, Williams

Rayner, Cameron, Bailey, Archee

Not even close

Oh and for next year.

I really do hope we see less of players like Williams in the main side. Haynes as well is not the solution.

We are looking dead-set dry and unappealing with this same group.

Need to reinvigorate and inject this team with some more youth. I want to see Moir, Lord, Binns and such regular seniors players. They need this exposure.
If we go or and get Haynes we're in a world of pain. Absolutely not the answer and a complete waste of a list spot

Don’t want to talk about the start/team selection as it’s been done to death.

Want to talk about some players who should NEVER wear our jumper again if we want to win a premiership.

Fantasia
Durdin
Motlop
Pittonet
Williams (tough i know)

Off season need to address Pace and small forwards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So 1 bad night means the worst in the Comp? Right. Good one, well thought out. :thumbsdownv1::roflv1:
One bad night?

I also suggest you watch a few more of his games this year.

Why do you honestly think I bite my nails when he has the ball compared to others in the team like say Hewett or Cowan? There must be some reason for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back