Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d almost offer him the coaching role tonight. Can’t stand him but Voss is not the answer evidently
So lets do the Carlton thing again and in 3 years after winning no premierships again, we can sack Bucks and move onto the next coach.

Voss: players showed great fight and great spirit.

FFS 😡😡
I don’t know why people expect the coach to call out players and the team publicly. That’s exactly how you create division among the playing group and that’s exactly how you get all the media coverage.

I expect the players will be called out in the debrief behind closed doors, where it should be

Our club when looking for the coach to replace Teague made several comments that we weren’t looking for a rookie coach, at the time I didn’t give it much thought, but now i find it really bad.

Imagine looking to fill a role and going in with a pre conceived idea that 3/4 of the applicants aren’t suitable and shouldn’t bother.
Great point, I heard rocket eade talk about external reviews by many clubs orchestrated to deliver preconceived outcomes. Not saying we did that but we did limit the field

How many first team players were out injured in the second half of the season? How many of them were rushed back into the side only to re-injure themselves during a game? How may soft tissue injuries did we have during the year that could have been avoided?
Couldn't agree more. How many kids who I assumed couldn't play came in and looked good until being unceremoniously dropped this week. 3. Binns, Lord and Moir.

Looking forward there are three main issues to me:

1) unbalanced list. We are too slow. People can be upset with Kennedy being subbed, but he will likely be trade bait. You can’t have Kennedy, Hewett and Cripps in the same side.

We need speed.

2) injury list

Changes to the fitness staff is a positive development. It needs to be followed by the delisting of Durdin (defender), Marchbank and Martin -at least.

3) game plan.

We look better when we play without Voss’s layers. When we play on instinct and are explosive and move the ball fast - we look good. When we play game plan A we look slow and awful.

Coaching support group needs a refresh and then so does the game plan.

Hopefully we can add a few pieces during the offseason, shore up the defence, get some continuity and push for top 4 in 25.

Lots of other teams are going to improve, so hope we are prepared to attack the list and game plan with some balls.

GBs 💙

What I'd like to see is one or two of our coaching panel that have had previous senior coaching experience . I hope that we pursue somebody like Simpson. Collingwood had at least two last year, Hardwick had a couple at Richmond along the journey, as did Clarkson at Hawthorn. I'm not suggesting a mentor for Voss, he isn't a rookie coach but I'm sure that somebody who has been in the hot seat before would be a good person to bounce ideas off.
100% agree. Would love us to appoint someone like Adam Simpson to be the match day coach. Voss can remain as the figure head and set standards, man manage, motivate, manage press responsibilities etc but leave the tactical stuff to someone better suited.

Is Hansen any good? Could be the Luke Sayers of the coaching department
I dont know but I dont think our problems are just coaching

its our overall footy department that needs to improve

Desperately need a good footy boss who knows how to run a footy department and other things should fall into place eventually..

I found it a little surpirsing that hansen didnt go for the west coast job

We think Moir would’ve provided any less than Durdin or Motlop?

Really think once Charlie was out we needed Moir deep with TDK too

We didn’t need three crumbing smalls, just Fantasia - the other two do not pressure anyway
Durdin should never have been in the side to begin with. His shoulders are ****ed and it's going to need all post-season and most of the pre-season to sort them out.

I personally don't think it is 100% team selection or 100% the intent of the players in the first half.

I believe both arguments are a reflection of one another.

When you bring in 6 underdone players you are asking for the remaining 16 players to step up to cover their rustiness, lack of form & endurance to run a game out.

We saw that in Harry's first attempt at goal, Doc's non stop fumbles, Cerra & McGovern being unsighted etc. Each of those moments have an impact on momentum and intent (unconsciously)

If those other 16 players have also been in average form, then you are setting yourself a task to begin with before you're even on the field

Thinking Voss doesn't shoulder some of the blame is putting your head in the sand and hoping he turns into a premiership coach. In saying that the senior players should have shown more passion and intent in the first half to get the players going instead of being run over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The year was a write off due to the injuries i think. We need to make changes to the assistant coaches, but i think Vossy should be given another year at least.

Considering that we were sixty to zero points down early in the second quarter, we did well to keep the losing margin down to under thirty points in the end.

Our form since the end of June has been that of a bottom four team, and we failed dismally to build on the progress we made last year.

If i said that i had every confidence that Vossy is the right man for the job at this stage then i'd be lying.

There is serious issues with selection integrity at this club amongst other issues as well. Here we are our premiership famine has now extended into it's thirtieth year sadly.
2012 all over again. But this year, we still managed to make the finals.

He was fantastic, been very good since coming back and honestly the MC have clearly got that one wrong also pretty much all year.

There is a severe lack of selection integrity with this coaching group, players can go out of form and find it in the magoos. There’s nothing wrong going back and playing in the twos to find form and fitness, it’s been going on for 150 years and proven level to actually make you a better footballer.

For some reason, this MC don’t want to have a bar of it, it’s so infuriating

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Infuriating is the word. Look I know the VFL isn't an awesome standard but Jaxon Binns had 47 possessions and kicked 3 goals against Collingwood of all sides and still could only crack 3 games (1 being the sub) and then got dropped for the finals.

That pic of kennedy after he was subbed is telling...never seen such a disgusted look by a player before
Yep, doing that to a close mate of your captain/best player & new father, after Crippa has just had his first kid is not smart.
Yeah, he ****ed that up big time.
Crippa would be ****ing filthy on a heap of levels.

Did anyone consider this playing group is just not as good as we think it is. Last years PF was the outlier of a decade not even making finals, even though we managed to squeak in again this season. Our core group of players have been together for virtually a decade and don't look remotely close to a premiership. Something is amiss somewhere

I dont know but I dont think our problems are just coaching

its our overall footy department that needs to improve

Desperately need a good footy boss who knows how to run a footy department and other things should fall into place eventually..

I found it a little surpirsing that hansen didnt go for the west coast job
We don't have a great list once you get past the exceptional players either. They aren't good enough to consistently play at a high level.

We shouldn't let the players off the hook after tonight's performance, they showed no effort or intent when it mattered.

Hansen and a host of assistants have said no to the West Coast job. They are all well aware of how bad West Coast is and that coaching them will probably be the death of their long term coaching aspiraqtions.

Or far more realistically did he want to be calling the shots directly in the last without having to relay them?

Anyone suggesting Voss went to the box to avoid scrutiny is being obtuse or emotional...or both. And that's probably OK too given our night.

Anyway, Lee Van Cleef is doing his thing on Gem. If I ever start a band it will be called Lee Van Cleef.
No idea, but sitting behind the goals, it seems players were waiting for someone else to go at the ball and the man
We have some first year hack as our forward coach he’s an absolute passenger there is zero structure.
He needs sacking probably some ex player who couldn’t cut at at another club.
We have been woeful with structure all year relied on talent
If the head coach is dumb he will accept dumb assistants

Embarrassed ourselves in ariel contests throughout the game, midfield spanked in the first half

That wasn't about selection, it was about poor intent from the first bounce
It was a terrible night.

You were at the game. Watching it on TV it appeared that Zorko and Wilmot distributed the ball without any pressure in the first half. That was tightened up in the second half. Were we playing one of our forwards behind the ball and allowing an outnumber in our forward line?

Agree that a number of uncontested marks happened when there were plenty of Carlton players close enough to compete.

Finally we lack aggressive behaviours. We let things go that should make us filthy. I’m sick of opposition players taking the piss out of our team and we just let it happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back