Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back at it again. And again. And again. Not allowed to bag injuries. Not allowed to bag selection.

These players if played would have shown a lot of intent: Cincotta Binns and Lord. These players showed none: Motlop Durdin Williams Fantasia. Pick any 3 of those 4 and replace with the players who should have played and you’d have more intent. Selection def had a part to play in intent. It’s depressing for the players to watch guys like Zorko wander around alone. Throws the team structure right out the window. Everyone has to cover. Side would have looked totally different with Cincotta Lord and Binns in it.

You can share whatever opinion you want Windows, and others can do the same, even though they might see it differently

But, perhaps people should stay staunch in those thoughts, rather than backtracking

Reality is this side isn't any better than the Ratts era team. Different strengths/weaknesses between our 09-13 side compared to this one, we didn't have the KPP's then, but we had pace and x factor, and a bevy of small/medium forwards who were very capable.

Now we have a really good spine, but are slow, and have bottom 3 quality small forwards/medium forwards. Only ones who are any good are Owies (limited but 30+ goal a season forwards dont grow on trees in this day and age), Elijah (who still needs to get better) and Fog with his pressure. The rest are either permanently injured and/or not up to it. Durds and Motlop are in make or break territory now in 2025 (regardless of contracts), and Fantasia tries but is cooked physically.

We need Binns, Lord, O'Keefe & Moir to keep coming on and be in the mix challenging for best 23 next season too. Be interesting what we get up to over trade period.

Lloyd, Voss & Opposition Coach..

Think opposition coach has final say each week.
I think the MC gets too far into their own heads and try to be too clever by half way too often, but at the same time then not make in game moves (tonight we thankfully did, just got 8 goals down before we did).

The rot began the GWS game dropping Hewett, then insisting on playing Cerra continually when he didn't pay a single good game between the Richmond game and the Pies game when he re-injured the hammy. Trying him off half back was terrible too, and tonight showed he shouldn't of played, would of much preferred Cincotta.

Seems MC were stuck in 2023 judging Cerra, he clearly isn't right and down on confidence. Shouldn't of played, should of been dropped after at least the North game as well, and needs a big pre-season and rebuild confidence in his body again.

I was less down on the selection of Docherty than some, but in hindsight, we should of played him in VFL 2-3 weeks back if we were serious about bringing him back in.

TDK as sub as a disaster and another example of the MC over complicating things in their heads and trying to be too clever.

So for tonight in my view I would of definitely started TDK, not played Cerra, played Cincotta, and sub probably Fantasia. (I don't think Moir would of been able to play any more than a quarter with his fitness levels, and Lord as good as he had been only had 62% game time v Saints).

If TDK started, I don't think we'd have been behind 60-0, we basically got 2-3 goals too far behind to seriously challenge. Even when we got going in the 3rd we didn't get closer than 5 goals, needed to get it under 3 to really get them nervous.

Stated before the game that Cincotta should have been in, instead of 1 of our small forwards

mmm...so a selection did play a small part in our loss???

I'm sure others will point to other selections that may have also played small parts

Together selections may have cumulatively played a greater part (not fully) in our loss

Interesting

As many have said it was lost at selection. People ranting about how kids can't play finals etc. Well, underdone players can't play finals. It's no coincidence that the 2 games where kids played our opening quarters had pressure ratings above 180 and the Hawthorn and Brisbane games had pressure ratings under 160. Just abysmal.

Something has to change in the football department.

Who is responsible for not rewarding form? Who is a dominant voice on the MC and on Game day making key decisions. If it's Voss then he's not up to it. If it's someone else then they should be moved on.

On Fox at qtr time Buckley questioned the tactics of Carlton having a spare forward play back which played right into Brisbane's hands giving them space in their back half to set up. The TDK sub was a terrible idea as was subbing out Kennedy. Who is the person making and/or allowing these decisions?

My only hope for 2025 is Brian Cook sweeping change. So far he's already replaced the terrible fitness guy. Let's hope there's more moves coming.

So far he's already replaced the terrible fitness guy.
Was he really that terrible?

Had immense success at Port and Hawthorn, but suddenly can't do his job at Carlton. Why? Perhaps he was continually stonewalled by Lloyd, wasn't listened to when it came to player training regimes, etc? I don't buy the "it's all Russell's fault".

Not the first time someone who has had success elsewhere, turn into dog turds once at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was he really that terrible?

Had immense success at Port and Hawthorn, but suddenly can't do his job at Carlton. Why? Perhaps he was continually stonewalled by Lloyd, wasn't listened to when it came to player training regimes, etc? I don't buy the "it's all Russell's fault".

Not the first time someone who has had success elsewhere, turn into dog turds once at the club.
Without checking this I reckon we’ve had the worst injury record over the 6 years Russell has been with the club. On that basis, regardless of what he did with Hawthorn or Port, he has been an abject failure.

Reality is this side isn't any better than the Ratts era team. Different strengths/weaknesses between our 09-13 side compared to this one, we didn't have the KPP's then, but we had pace and x factor, and a bevy of small/medium forwards who were very capable.

Geez I wish we had vintage:
Jamison, Gartlett, Betts, Yarran, Murphy, Gibbs, Waite, Scotland, Fevola, Armfield, Kreuzer, Judd, Simpson & Walker

FB: Newman - Jamison - Scotland
HB: Yarran - Weitering- Saad
C: Acres - Cripps - Gibbs
F: Kreuzer- Judd - Walsh
HF: Waite - McKay - Garlett
FF: Curnow - Fevols -Betts
B: TDK - Walker - Simpson - Armfield
S: Murphy

Without checking this I reckon we’ve had the worst injury record over the 6 years Russell has been with the club. On that basis, regardless of what he did with Hawthorn or Port, he has been an abject failure.
Perhaps, but I hope the club is putting in the work to understand why someone who was so highly regarded struggled at Carlton (yet again), and ensuring the next guy in is set up for success.

I’ll admit I’m guilty of this. I thought our players had finally worked out what was required to win well on a weekly basis. Alas I was wrong.
Even then, we were smashing the top sides away by over 10 goals.

In our 13 game winning streak, we actually had a higher percentage than * in that time period. Injuries stopped us from ruining their season.

Geez I wish we had vintage:
Jamison, Gartlett, Betts, Yarran, Murphy, Gibbs, Waite, Scotland, Fevola, Armfield, Kreuzer, Judd, Simpson & Walker

FB: Newman - Jamison - Scotland
HB: Yarran - Weitering- Saad
C: Acres - Cripps - Gibbs
F: Kreuzer- Judd - Walsh
HF: Waite - McKay - Garlett
FF: Curnow - Fevols -Betts
B: TDK - Walker - Simpson - Armfield
S: Murphy
Army ahead of Murph? Wtf, Murph was supreme in that period until Danger ****ed his shoulder in 2012. AA player, nearly equal of Judd in 2011.

The fact that there are 13-14 from the 2009-2011 era side compared to 9 from this era's side, and I don't really have compelling arguments for any of the current ones not included to be there either. Shows how top heavy this current side is, aside from our stars it drops off a lot.

Actually Doc goes in, and Army out.

Even then, we were smashing the top sides away by over 10 goals.

In our 13 game winning streak, we actually had a higher percentage than * in that time period. Injuries stopped us from ruining their season.
My memory following us goes back to 1988 or so, and that 2000 side was the 2nd best Carlton side in a season I have seen to 1995. We were a seriously good side that year. We went up to Brisbane and destroyed them, beat eventual grand finalists Melbourne by 98 points, easily beat North who also made a prelim too.

If we played as good a footy this year as we did in our 13 game run that year, some people on this forum would of been pencilling us in for the next 5 flags in a row.

If people blame Lewis Young, I suggest you leave.

He was far from our worst player tonight.
Also to add to this. Tonight was pretty poor from some of our supporters.

The amount of vocalised hate that is spewed at him from some our supporters live is atrocious. I've been lucky enough to have seen us play in every state this year and he cops it more than anyone else.

Why?

Surely we ease off Jesse Motlop as well? Carlton kids love him and he's still a kid himself. Ridiculous they have to hear that rubbish.

This is only a minority of our fans but it's piss poor form..

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back