Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Deliberately stayed off the forum as I can get a bit hot headed at times.
It's annoying when you see the team spank Geelong by the tune of 10 goals during the season, and then see the rubbish dished up last night.
The pressure the team brought in the 1st half was non existent. And for a final, just wow. Wouldn't blame Cincotta if he went searching for more opportunity elsewhere bloke was shafted.
Clearly Brisbane eased off second half - make no mistake this was the worst performance since Voss took over coaching us.
I do hope that some tough calls are made on the list pretty sure most on here know who we need to turn over to regenerate.
Think we have some youngsters who will keep players in the senior side honest so that's a starting point.
Wish-list- a pressure small forward to compliment the big towers and Owies.
Also some quick ball carriers between the arcs wouldn't go astray either. We just look too slow compared to most other teams.
Also need a big solid backman to help out weiters coz without him we would be stuffed.
The list isn't that broken. Just lacking in a few areas but now that it's been severely exposed last night, I'm hoping we can turn it around quickly over the next year or so coz the list isn't getting any younger.
Out...

Not the first time over the past few seasons some of the team selections have been favored to preferred named underdone players who have been selected ahead of fit players who have preformed and contributed in their roles…

TDK starting as sub was an absolute baffling decision, Cincotta not being selected was one of the dumbest decisions of the year, Motlop shouldn’t have been selected on poor output and form, Cerra as well, glad Doc got through the game, Durd’s unfortunately stunk it up again, operation shoulders…

List thin with a few areas of quality types across our lines, our overall game style has not progressed tactically or organically, poorer this year defensively, defensive kick ins and a lack of method & creativity of exiting our defensive 50 still poor and predictable, impacts on better quality ball movement creating more options, spread, linkup and going forward..

Our defensive press across the ground should be at a higher level, still looks poorly positioned and organized this year, last year in the back half of the season we applied it at a much better standard, our midfield around the ground structures and positioning at times have been unaccountable and poorly drilled, needs fixing…

Decent first half of the year, setting up a possible top 4 chance, then for some reason we started playing a mixture of good and poor footy for a quarter or two, injuries started piling up but we we’re still in a winnable position in most games that we let slip, mostly ourselves to blame…

Do the coaching staff collectively have the ability to create a more productive and efficient system that stacks up against the competition’s modern game style that teams are creating…

Last edited:

Our club when looking for the coach to replace Teague made several comments that we weren’t looking for a rookie coach, at the time I didn’t give it much thought, but now i find it really bad.

Imagine looking to fill a role and going in with a pre conceived idea that 3/4 of the applicants aren’t suitable and shouldn’t bother.
It was that muppet Luke Sayers who rode that particular line of thinking. "Must have senior coaching experience". It was the typical Carlton messiah approach. That failed with Pagan and Malthouse. They wanted to just poach Clarkson. But got stuck with Voss.

It's sooooooo stupid. Since 1995 only 3 of the premiership coaches have coached another club before their current job, Matthews, Malthouse and Blight. The other 13 coaches were first timers!

Change needs to start at the top.

It would be great if these players got fair dinkum. They pretend to be serious. Look at the condition some of these guys turn up in. Williams. McGovern. They’re just not fair dinkum.

I would say this group needs to be turned over and just start again.

When you lose so often when it matters….you become a loser. We have too many losers.

Let’s be real. Everyone knew McKay would miss that goal before half time didn’t they? Where’s your brain mate?

We are so slow. They act like they fix speed with recruiting endurance runners.

Do something club. Do something.

Have an honest conversation. With the slow players. The injured ones. The recruiters. The coaches.

Make some ****ing changes.

It’s easy to come up with negatives. They’ve all been done around here for me. So I will try and focus on positives:

• that was some return from TDK
  • if Young can play like that every week, then we have our second tall defender
  • Cowan, Elijah, Durdin all played their first finals. Experience is so important in football
  • the cracks in our list and game plan should be bleedingly obvious to decision makers (the people who sit above the coaching group). It gives them an opportunity to turn things around
  • the internet would have savaged our finals efforts and premiership prospects at the end of the 1993 and 1994 seasons. When we got destroyed by * in Laverton in a preseason game in 1995, the joint would have blown up. I’m not trying to say that we don’t need change. I am trying to say that it is easy to lose hope, but to try and hold onto it.

Not the first time over the past few seasons some of the team selections have been favored to preferred named underdone players who have been selected ahead of fit players who have preformed and contributed in their roles…

TDK starting as sub was an absolute baffling decision, Cincotta not being selected was one of the dumbest decisions of the year, Motlop shouldn’t have been selected on poor output and form, Cerra as well, glad Doc got through the game, Durd’s unfortunately stunk it up again, operation shoulders…

List thin with a few areas of quality types across our lines, our overall game style has not progressed tactically or organically, poorer this year defensively, defensive kick ins and a lack of method & creativity of exiting our defensive 50 still poor and predictable, impacts on better quality ball movement creating more options, spread, linkup and going forward..

Our defensive press across the ground should be at a higher level, still looks poorly positioned and organized this year, last year in the back half of the season we applied it at a much better standard, our midfield around the ground structures and positioning at times have been unaccountable and poorly drilled, needs fixing…

Decent first half of the year, setting up a possible top 4 chance, then for some reason we started playing a mixture of good and poor footy for a quarter or two, injuries started piling up but we we’re still in a winnable position in most games that we let slip, mostly ourselves to blame…

Do the coaching staff collectively have the ability to create a more productive and efficient system that stacks up against the competition’s modern game style that teams are creating…
They are too slow to press properly.

Why on earth can't we just lose nornally?

I don't think anyone expected a win. But with a heavily underdone and disorganised team surely the thing to do was pick the best 22 possible, got out fighting hard, look a ltttle outclassed for 3/4 but hang in there, then run out of steam at the end and lose by 5 goals.

Nope, not us. Instead we get served literally the worst coaching performance i can remember as a Carlton supporter. TDK as the sub and no backup ruck? Cincotta dropped after 16 straight games. Everything we did to Kennedy? Cerra starting in the middle on Neale and Hewett on the bench? The horrific game plan - allowing two spare players behind the ball early, the lack of movement and run, tmbombong the ball to the hot spot with only McKay as a target.... The shell-shocked looking players...

Just so, so bad... and had a Brisbane defender not made a howler of an error 20m out from.goal (and lets face it, had we also kot got an incredibly.lucky bounce of the ball to a wide open player who had quit on the play) we likely serve up the first scoreless half in a final in history.

Such a miserable end to a wasted season. Poor Cripps gave it his all, but the club still don't get it, and i fear we're in for a bad shock next year. That game was a culture killer - you can't mess people around like we did with Kennedy, Cincotta AND at the same time have other players walk back into the team heavily underdone amd perform sp poorly (Docherty, Cerra, Williams the main offenders) without ramifications... i guess we wait and see now

They are too slow to press properly.
Understandably yes at times leg speed is a factor when pressing, although I’ve seen us last year execute it to a much better level, this year at the ground i only noticed us getting it right on only 2/3 occasions…

I’m not sure what the instructions are from our coaching staff or if the players are just as much to blame but we are so poorly organised, we tend to just guard dead space allowing opposition teams to move the ball far to easily…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too bad no one asked at the presser why Cinc wasn't picked and why he took Kennedy off. TDk starting and Cinc on Zorko may have changed the 60 - 0 scenario.

THere were clowns but they weren't Zorko.

I think he hid because of pride. He knows some of his decisions and ideas have pissed our season away again. Could it be the turning point for him… doubt it… don’t think he can let go micro managing everything.
This is ridiculous JJ.

Did you see him in the presser?
He was livid.
He's on a tangent...it's - I think- a 'they didn't follow my game plan' tangent.
He's furious about lack of intent but oblivious to some terrible selection issues and his own part in the 60 to zero disaster.

Presser did nothing to increase confidence.Doesn't seem to get how stupid it was leaving Cinc out. Taking Kennedy off and leaving Durds and Mot?
Off on some other tangent.
Sure it was nice having Doc back for Doc..but he wasn't too good.
Ditto Cerra and Guv.
The gaMe plan is dull and stodgy.
No way Voss will be going anywhere so no point wasting time on it.
How do we get some brains and forward thinking into our club?
My biggest issue with the press conference was Voss’ lack of accountability for poor decisions. “We didn’t do this, We didn’t do that” aimed squarely at the players (admittedly the hunger & intent wasn’t there).

The grubbiest thing about it was he kept falling back to the safety of the Doc story. ‘Wasn’t sorry’ for selection, ‘Doc’s an amazing human being’ etc. etc. Playing the safe card because the whole media world wouldn’t dare contradict anything he says after that.

Don’t get me wrong, the Doc story IS amazing, but Voss used it as a shield. Said nothing to address Kennedy being subbed despite woeful efforts by our smalls.

For someone who is supposedly a fearsome leader, that was as gutless a presser as I’ve seen, and his ego took zero responsibility.

Already covered.

Too many underdone/injured/desperately out of form players.

Coaching looked a mess however doubt that would have made diff anyway. We were improvising with players we had.

If we can hit the end of year with our best players on the park next year we are still a seriously good team.

PRESSURE on the ball carrier is the most determinant factor on results. My opinion from what I have seen this year.

Next year we need to sort out our forward and stoppage pressure. A lot is personel based.

Turn over game continues to need work. Backline line needs another line breaking player.

I have this sick feeling that this group has already reached its peak. The game has evolved to a much quicker run and spread game. We don't have the players to be able to play or combat this style unfortunately.

Need to make some hard decisions with trades and nail this draft.

Interesting analysis
Bringing in underdone players clearly played a role in our inability to apply pressure from the outset. It’s not the first time we’ve made this mistake.

‘Contest and pressure’ is the most basic non-negotiable at professional level and doesn’t constitute a game style, and it’s not even as though we’re the best at it.

Voss and Co screwed it up again when they had young, fit, and enthusiastic players ready to go.

It’s indefensible.

I have this sick feeling that this group has already reached its peak. The game has evolved to a much quicker run and spread game. We don't have the players to be able to play or combat this style unfortunately.

Need to make some hard decisions with trades and nail this draft.
There is a scary reality where last season is the best we saw with this group and its rebuild in a few seasons again

Bringing in underdone players clearly played a role in our inability to apply pressure from the outset. It’s not the first time we’ve made this mistake.

‘Contest and pressure’ is the most basic non-negotiable at professional level and doesn’t constitute a game style, and it’s not even as though we’re the best at it.

Voss and Co screwed it up again when they had young, fit, and enthusiastic players ready to go.

It’s indefensible.
If you believe the difference on the night, was not playing the likes of Lord and Binns, that's your prerogative

Cincotta definitely should of played, but don't think it would of changed much

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back