Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So who is actually in the MC? I can't seem to find this info anywhere. I'd assume Voss and Lloyd are in it, but are all the assistant coaches there too?
Why, would you like to have them lynched?

Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

It was that muppet Luke Sayers who rode that particular line of thinking. "Must have senior coaching experience". It was the typical Carlton messiah approach. That failed with Pagan and Malthouse. They wanted to just poach Clarkson. But got stuck with Voss.

It's sooooooo stupid. Since 1995 only 3 of the premiership coaches have coached another club before their current job, Matthews, Malthouse and Blight. The other 13 coaches were first timers!

Change needs to start at the top.
I know sayers through someone who worked very close to him at PWC. He made his way in consultancy by being ruthless as utter ****, but not smart... Burnt bridges and ****ed over anyone and everyonr. So when your best and only traits are self serving ruthlessness you don't mesh with a footy club that requires the right mix of patience and decision making without arrogance. An impossible task for someone like.him.
He is also far.too distracted 'running his business'. Almost as bad an appointment as Malthouse.

One other question on the coaching, what the **** have they done to Saad? Gone from a dynamic playmaker to a kind of solid back pocket who doesn't get much of the ball. Weird.
Re Saad, perhaps he can spend the entire off season learning to kick on his right foot. 🤬🤬

The opposition just corral him to the boundary line knowing he can't kick on his right and he inevitably gets caught or hacks the ball.

Lots of lessons learned last night but if they don't do anything with the information then the vicious cycle continues.

I won't be surprised if Kennedy wants out after being treated so appallingly last night.

Kinda tired of being let down but I'll be here for it all again next year...and the year after that...and so on

That first half. Why????

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but my take is as follows.

That last Sunday flattened them with the Saints loss. Then we fell in to the 8, with the help of Port. Then we had 4 days off to freshen up. That would have felt like the season was over mentally. It did to me as a supporter.

We had already determined that injuries had derailed the season, with the decision we made on Russell. That had to further lower any expectations we had to go deep into the finals. We would have set ourselves for top 4 after last year, then adjusted that to top 2 after the bye. To fall apart and win 2 of the last 8 would have been totally demoralising, especially as it meant travelling extensively to difficult venues.

To be down 60-0 has to be mental. We just weren't up for it. If picking the wrong players was at fault, we would have got worse as the game went on - it can't explain the start.

IMO, too many subconsciously wrote off our chances in their head before we even picked the side.

My biggest issue with the press conference was Voss’ lack of accountability for poor decisions. “We didn’t do this, We didn’t do that” aimed squarely at the players (admittedly the hunger & intent wasn’t there).

The grubbiest thing about it was he kept falling back to the safety of the Doc story. ‘Wasn’t sorry’ for selection, ‘Doc’s an amazing human being’ etc. etc. Playing the safe card because the whole media world wouldn’t dare contradict anything he says after that.

Don’t get me wrong, the Doc story IS amazing, but Voss used it as a shield. Said nothing to address Kennedy being subbed despite woeful efforts by our smalls.

For someone who is supposedly a fearsome leader, that was as gutless a presser as I’ve seen, and his ego took zero responsibility.
I don't see any point attacking Voss as he won't be going anywhere. Somehow we need to get the right support cast...

Oh hang on...
This has all been said before.
Before Voss...
Who was it before?
Teague?
And
Green Shoots?
He who shall not be named with the beret

FMD

Get it together Carlton ffs.

Lots of lessons learned last night but if they don't do anything with the information then the vicious cycle continues.

I won't be surprised if Kennedy wants out after being treated so appallingly last night.

Kinda tired of being let down but I'll be here for it all again next year...and the year after that...and so on
With you.
Just venting before forgetting.

It was terrible viewing up until TDK came on and gave us some hope..

I also think the SEN blues radio with andy, skinny and kouta made it a little more enjoyable ..

They were pretty much saying stuff that was posted on here but desperately trying to keep it positive...

I also think the SEN blues radio with andy, skinny and kouta made it a little more enjoyable ..

They were pretty much saying stuff that was posted on here but desperately trying to keep it positive...
I listened to them also, it made it bearable at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you believe the difference on the night, was not playing the likes of Lord and Binns, that's your prerogative

Cincotta definitely should of played, but don't think it would of changed much
Obviously plucking out a name or two in a flogging doesn’t seem significant.

Our last two games saw us play a refreshed team willing to dig in for four quarters. The changes we made can have a deflating impact on the group.

Last night we went back to unfit ‘name’ players and got the same old predictable result.

Kennedy’s had a good season and figured in most games.

If he “wants out” after being subbed, I’d hope he looked inward first & what could he could have done better.

Like many others he wasn’t setting the world on fire.

I really hope Kennedy shows more resilience than the majority of “supporters” in this joint.

This 100%, so noticeable.
Saady has gone from an attacking run & carry half back, to an absolute defender. The guy is a weapon - use him!!
Maybe move to the midfield like the dogs have done with Ed Richards and Cats have done with Tom Stewart??? He's unfortunately gone backwards this year significantly.

If he “wants out” after being subbed, I’d hope he looked inward first & what could he could have done better.

I really hope Kennedy shows more resilience than the majority of “supporters” in this joint.
He left his one day old baby to fly up to Brisbane and was subbed out ahead of players who were performing much worse.
Not to mention he's also one of the very few positionally versatile players on the team.

TDK as sub and subbing Kennedy off were baffling decisions.

Kennedy isn't the one who needs to take a look at himself.
Also
Let supporters vent for a bit.

Thank god I am in Tokyo at the moment and not suffering the absolute crap I would have received in person off my mates . Sorry to say the once proud strong Carlton brand is trashed .Voss has no tactical nouse at all and neither does his assist. Leaving Tdk on bench for the start will go down as one of the dumbest coaching decisions in history. And boy do we have some duds playing for us I watched the syd gws game and just as well we didn’t have to play either of them because they would have destroyed us. How can a finals aspirant be 60 - 0 down ? I am 64 and went through the glory years of 70 and 80s etc but feel sorry for our current younger supporters who have to put up with the shite dished up when it matters. Been a member for 40 years but seriously thinking of not renewing next season

100%, the boys at least made it entertaining - Skinny was awesome to listen too, made some very astute observations.
Ridiculous that a bloke who coaches high school football had a better grasp on the game than our head coach

I don't see any point attacking Voss as he won't be going anywhere. Somehow we need to get the right support cast...

Oh hang on...
This has all been said before.
Before Voss...
Who was it before?
Teague?
And
Green Shoots?
He who shall not be named with the beret

FMD

Get it together Carlton ffs.
Calm down Roany. I’m not advocating sacking Voss, and I don’t see it as attacking, I see it as holding him accountable. He needs to own his shit, stop putting it back on the players. If he rolls up his sleeves, leaves his ego at the door and sticks true to his word of next man up instead of playing underdone player, I believe he can still be a good coach.

The mobility and speed in the middle was far too slow. First half the forwards hardly got a look at it, the backline was bombarded.

Cripps, Cerra, Hewett with Hollands and Kennedy supporting it is a rubbish old fashioned slow midfield. You won't make finals with that group next seasons even under a no injury situation. Other sides have moved on and adjusted their list to bring it up to the modern style of play.

Our onball group has absolutely no ability to apply pressure, the closing speed and agility is 0. Their outside game is 0.

I thought our defence battled hard but really, there are a few holes there as well. Lacking a fair bit of pace.

I don't know what we were doing in the second half, everytime we turned the ball over, hold it up, wait then kick it wide. We were 50 points down, take the game on, move it quickly and go direct, take some risk. This team is gutless. Too afraid to take the game on, even when the season is over. Did no one see how Collingwood won the flag last season? In this situation they would be straight in the middle, play on fast, take risks, all out attack. Not slow it down, kick it around the boundary.

Our returning players were mostly fails. DeKoning was awesome when he came on. Will be our best player next year. Docherty did nothing. Cerra was a hopeless fumbling witches hat. McKay was mediocre. McGovern did very little. Lord, Moir and Carroll would have looked a lot better out there. At least give us some pace, a proper forward and tackle from time to time.

Walsh and Ollie Hollands were the only ones to have significant tackle numbers for us. Seeing how much of the ball they had, our tackle numbers should have been through the roof. Cripps, Hewett, Cerra had f*** all on the tackle count. Lord had 7 tackles a fortnight ago... The idea that Voss can't coach is genuinely growing legs.

Our midfield needs to go on a significant rebuild. Cripps and Walsh really need to be the only two who remain from the current group. You need to be able to catch the opposition and none of them apart from Walsh can do that. Lord needs to be full time next season. Kennedy, Hewett and Cerra need to be put on the trade table providing we can find the right midfielders to come in.

In the modern game, it doesn't matter if you can get 30 possessions per game. If you can't catch the opposition you're not doing your job!

Our forwards are a big issue. When are they ever at the fall of the ball? our positioning at marking contests at ground level is garbage. We leave the opposition with too many easy out handballs so we can't apply pressure. We are never when the ball is. Our little blokes aren't natural forwards and we are horribly coached in that end of the field.

You can guarantee that there will be an opposition player at the back of every contest to take an easy handball and off they go. Our defensive work inside F50 is garbage, has been all season, we don't cover them at all.

Not many ticks. Weitering, DeKoning, Young, Hewett, Cripps probably all ok

100%, the boys at least made it entertaining - Skinny was awesome to listen too, made some very astute observations.
Ridiculous that a bloke who coaches high school football had a better grasp on the game than our head coach
Yeah he was saying some things that made a lot of sense..

One example..

Our kicks to H and wanting him to mark was not working..

H was either getting out marked or spoiled...

Our predictable ball movement was not helping and it allowed defenders to read what was about to transpire...

Skinny made a good point...If the long kicks to forwards isnt working then try the chaos ball movement forward as it becomes less predictable and it makes the oppo uneasy and more difficult to defend...

At that stage all our f50 entries were around the arc and ne deeper.

One thing that really pisses me off is the so call “afl media”.

The spineless pricks will write articles smashing everyone & everything but put them in a press conference & not one of them will even come close to asking a “tough question”.

Hell, I’d settle for a decent question & follow up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back