Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the most disappointing season for me in over 20 years

The finish to '94 was terrible, the worst in my time following. Look what happened the following year with the addition of some important components.

Like the finals in '94, that game last night was dead set mental. We just weren't there mentally from the time we boarded the plane.

Obviously plucking out a name or two in a flogging doesnā€™t seem significant.

Our last two games saw us play a refreshed team willing to dig in for four quarters. The changes we made can have a deflating impact on the group.

Last night we went back to unfit ā€˜nameā€™ players and got the same old predictable result.

I still don't believe it was the difference

The Saints play a completely different brand of footy, one that suits our style and make up better

The Lions play more of a, win and to the outside as quickly as possible

Then you have the Eagles who are just a poor side

IMHO, the focus for Voss now, is who is fully committed to buy in, otherwise he and the club need to make tough calls

Was he really that terrible?

Had immense success at Port and Hawthorn, but suddenly can't do his job at Carlton. Why? Perhaps he was continually stonewalled by Lloyd, wasn't listened to when it came to player training regimes, etc? I don't buy the "it's all Russell's fault".

Not the first time someone who has had success elsewhere, turn into dog turds once at the club.

The proofs in the pudding, diabolical is how I would describe his tenure at Carlton.
Should have moved him on at minimum end of 2022, 2 extra wasted years of prime list time because of a reputation from many years prior.
We are so quick to sack a coach yet when it comes to other positions in the club that are on a par with importance we sit on our hands and dream it will get better, last time it was recruitment and this time phys edders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We literally need a whole new brigade of small forwards. I rate none of them

I canā€™t answer if they are good enough but there is no way we are getting the best out of them. Not even close

Three weeks ago against WCE people here were raving how good Durdin was. Reason, we played a more attacking running game and gave our smalls a chance

Are Durdin Motlop etc good enough? Not sure but I do know we donā€™t help them with the way we play

Last edited:
When your game plan and success is built on pressure and contest, and you don't bring it, you get found out very quickly. Brisbane punished us for not bringing it when it mattered.

The more serious issue is why this has deserted us the past 3 months.

But let's be honest, our ball movement and transition has been woeful all year and this is squarely the responsibility of coaching and gameplan. I think our inability to transition directly invites pressure on us and we can't handle it. Too many dump kicks or long kicks down the line. We need ball speed and composure. Our kicking last night was awful, even when we surged in the 3rd we kept turning thr ball over.

For 2025 hopefully we fix injuries, match selection we can only pray changes, but the real determination on next year will be about our game plan. This is why we have so many passengers, because some are being asked to play in a way that creates this unintentionally.

Cripps, Cerra, Hewett with Hollands and Kennedy supporting it is a rubbish old fashioned slow midfield. You won't make finals with that group next seasons even under a no injury situation. Other sides have moved on and adjusted their list to bring it up to the modern style of play.

Disagree

Look at Geelong. They looked like a midfield of Usain Bolts.

Its the ball movement and tactics that make our team look slow.

Look at our kick ins from the backline. 99% of the time we just take it to the wing and kick to a pack.

Calm down Roany. Iā€™m not advocating sacking Voss, and I donā€™t see it as attacking, I see it as holding him accountable. He needs to own his shit, stop putting it back on the players. If he rolls up his sleeves, leaves his ego at the door and sticks true to his word of next man up instead of playing underdone player, I believe he can still be a good coach.
Yeah. Sorry.
..wasn't aimed at you
I d like to see Vossy answer some burning questions from supporters.
JUst a few obvious ones around selection.
The MC's thinking. we heard why he made TDK sub.
NOt why George wasn't on Neale from get go.
Why no Cinc..Zorko ran riot.
Going for enthusiasm and young talent over Durdin and Mots ..why would they suddenly turn around? Made no sense
And Kennedy ffs.

I have this sick feeling that this group has already reached its peak. The game has evolved to a much quicker run and spread game. We don't have the players to be able to play or combat this style unfortunately.

Need to make some hard decisions with trades and nail this draft.

Agree on this. We had a lucky run last year but outside of that, we are reliant on Cripps and Curnow to create miracle wins. Unsustainable model that reached its apogee late last year.

Ruthless change required.

This is a problem with such a poor seconds side. Playing in weak teams doenst help the case for individuals to push for selection.

Young has been more than serviceable these past few weeks, but was big average in the VFL. It actually makes selection hard

Hard to blame the VFL team when most of the season they had a limited pool of AFL listed players to draw on.

Injuries and our inability to properly manage a team across a season caused this for both competitions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Sorry.
..wasn't aimed at you
I d like to see Vossy answer some burning questions from supporters.
JUst a few obvious ones around selection.
The MC's thinking. we heard why he made TDK sub.
NOt why George wasn't on Neale from get go.
Why no Cinc..Zorko ran riot.
Going for enthusiasm and young talent over Durdin and Mots ..why would they suddenly turn around? Made no sense
And Kennedy ffs.
No need to apologise mate, weā€™re all a bit rattled at present, itā€™s to be expected when we are all passionate about a club we love. Iā€™ve been off on a few tangents since last night. I had the worst nights sleepā€¦.

I seriously hope Vossy listens to SEN because I suspect heā€™ll get a good gauge on how the supporters feel about some of those decisions.

ā€¦along with some totally off the planet calls of course :tongueclosed:

I canā€™t answer if they are good enough but there is no way we are getting the best out of them. Not even close

Three weeks ago against WCE were raving how good Durdin was. Reason, we played a more attacking running game and gave our smalls a chance

Are Durdin Motlop etc good enough? Not sure but I do know we donā€™t help them with the way we play
They're all slow and never bring defensive pressure. That's not gameplan, that's up to the individual to apply effort.

He left his one day old baby to fly up to Brisbane and was subbed out ahead of players who were performing much worse.
Not to mention he's also one of the very few positionally versatile players on the team.

TDK as sub and subbing Kennedy off were baffling decisions.
Kennedy made a choice to play & Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™s capable of understanding the ups & downs of football.

Imagine if every player subbed left their clubs - it would end the sun rule pretty quickly.

They're all slow and never bring defensive pressure. That's not gameplan, that's up to the individual to apply effort.

When the ball is bombed long to talls all the time and the opposition get numbers back to same spot and clog space itā€™s hard

Almost impossible to judge players when game plan/effort is so bad

Kennedy made a choice to play & Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™s capable of understanding the ups & downs of football.

Imagine if every player subbed left their clubs - it would end the sun rule pretty quickly.
Well Iā€™d be more than happy to end the sub rule but thatā€™s a bit of a straw man donā€™t you think

Who would you have subbed?

Well, at least we didn't cop any injuries.

Get everyone fit and ready for the preseason.

New fitness coach, hopefully a new key defender, maybe a new small forward, compete for spots. Throw away the best 22 conceptions and make them all earn it again.
New forwards coach.
New footy manager?
Recognise stubborn thinking.
Be willing to be challenged - both players and staff.
Get with the change to quick ball throw ups around the grounds..look at which teams are brimming with enthusiasm and energy.
Empower the players to be creative.

There is a scary reality where last season is the best we saw with this group and its rebuild in a few seasons again

Nah, give me a normal injury list or by some miracle a better than normal injury list and this group has enough talent to be right at the pointy end.

The MC made some diabolical decisions on players that were not fit enough or had the form or touch required in a cut throat final, they need to stop worrying about the names on the magnets and start rewarding form and fitness.

If youā€™re returning from a long layoff it should be mandatory you find form and fitness in the twos, training blocks just does not imitate real world football in the slightest. Playing reserves helps to build your body up to the rigours of the game and also helps to make your feeder team more competitive which only helps the younger players reach their potential

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You vent how you want to - allow me to do the same if thatā€™s ok.

Thereā€™s venting & thereā€™s stupidity.

No problem with venting.
By calling people who are venting stupid or bedwetters, you absolutely portray someone who has a problem with venting.

All you are being asked to do is to let people react as they want without insulting them for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back