Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody who has ever run a team of people will always tell you there a some key pillars to having success.
No 1 is continuity in your people.
Chopping and changing is a disaster..cause without it other key pillars like good plans carnt be effective.
Our no 1 issue over the off season to fix has already been done..moving on andrew russell.
Have we made some odd selections?
Yes.
Do we need to tweak our style..yes.
But as a person who has run in business teams and coached my own footy teams I look at voss and say he hasn't been given in his 3 yrs stability in availability.
I've watched the last 2 premiers miss finals the following yr due to no continuity in selection due to injuries.
I've seen clubs who are at tye pointy end this season struggle including swans when their continuity of selection has been challenged.
For voss 3 yrs in charge the team keeps changing every few weeks. I actually think to have played finals twice and missed by 1 pt the other time has been pretty outstanding.
Case in point again last night..we rolled out a line up and set up for the very first time.
I think there's been some reasonable comments on here about changes but again I'll state..without continuity it's very difficult to get a true picture of the situation.

Our inability to exit the back half was our biggest fault all year

We lack marking targets outside of TDK, McKay and Curnow (and Curnow is not that tall, really)

JSOS would help, Lemmey would be better if he was ready.. Playing two rucks hamstrings us when Pitto isn’t a great marking option.
Whilst allowing our opponents to exit through any avenue they please in most of the games we lost.

Anybody who has ever run a team of people will always tell you there a some key pillars to having success.
No 1 is continuity in your people.
Chopping and changing is a disaster..cause without it other key pillars like good plans carnt be effective.
Our no 1 issue over the off season to fix has already been done..moving on andrew russell.
Have we made some odd selections?
Yes.
Do we need to tweak our style..yes.
But as a person who has run in business teams and coached my own footy teams I look at voss and say he hasn't been given in his 3 yrs stability in availability.
I've watched the last 2 premiers miss finals the following yr due to no continuity in selection due to injuries.
I've seen clubs who are at tye pointy end this season struggle including swans when their continuity of selection has been challenged.
For voss 3 yrs in charge the team keeps changing every few weeks. I actually think to have played finals twice and missed by 1 pt the other time has been pretty outstanding.
Case in point again last night..we rolled out a line up and set up for the very first time.
I think there's been some reasonable comments on here about changes but again I'll state..without continuity it's very difficult to get a true picture of the situation.
Yes.
And...
A lot of downright strange decisions to throw out what little continuity we did have. And not just this week.

There is some absolute lunacy in the MC and not just last night..
Absolutely bizarre decision making and you didn’t need hindsight to know it.

It’s like they wanted to lose at times.

Most of the issues from last night were raised and discussed by the majority on here prior to the game.

It wasn’t rocket science. What we did and selected defied basic common sense

Bad luck blues, at least you made the finals and you did score in more quarters than you didn't, so you're going better than us.
Don't be upset that you haven't won a flag since the 1900s either
I reckon we might need to join forces dear enemy.
United against the outrage of these bastard selfish hog clubs - Cats and Hawks.
How DARE they jump the queue.
We must present a united front in bringing them down.

Are you with me? You loathesome red and black supporter?

I had low expectations given our injury list & general dysfunction in our game play over last third of season plus it being the Lions at home.

The old cliche we lost this at the selection table has never been so true. Of all the selected only TDK was worthwhile and if he was fit enough he can’t be the sub & Pittonet can’t play.

We went with the you can’t trust the kids strategy and it failed abysmally.

We have the wrong coach and clearly the wrong match committee. If we continue to rely on stubborn coach, talent of a few, the effort of a few & current game plan we will squander this opportunity.

Lucky we dropped the kids like Lord, Moir & Binns so we could play a heap of underdone, out of form players & save being embarrassed :poo::think::rolleyes::p:D:eek:
Staggerd by the selections, and to have TDK as sub. just dumb. Then to sub-out Kennedy!
I thought Lord at least would get a run. As it turned out it may be for the better for those three (Binns, Lord, Moir) as they don't have to carry the stigma of this game around with them
Re-sign Owies, get Fogarty fit, most of the other small forwards can go, they have proven time and again, when the chips are down, they offer very little.

100% Agree 👍

Look at Hawks midfield. It’s not that quick. Newcombe MacKenzie Day Worpel Nash etc aren’t quick. However, the way they play is quick and full of run in numbers
Footy IQ is a factor also, most teams have us covered in this department.

Watching Geelong execute a style/gameplan against a more dynamic midfield opposition on Thursday just demonstrates how coaching/scouting can give you a great belief & buy in to the task at hand but having players who understand the onfield or in game adjustments, team rules and disciplines just sets the well drilled teams apart under finals pressure.

I had low expectations given our injury list & general dysfunction in our game play over last third of season plus it being the Lions at home.

The old cliche we lost this at the selection table has never been so true. Of all the selected only TDK was worthwhile and if he was fit enough he can’t be the sub & Pittonet can’t play.

We went with the you can’t trust the kids strategy and it failed abysmally.

We have the wrong coach and clearly the wrong match committee. If we continue to rely on stubborn coach, talent of a few, the effort of a few & current game plan we will squander this opportunity.
Lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again: Docherty does not select himself. It might surprise you to know he doesn't play any role in selection, because - you know - he's not on the match committee.

Reconsider whether you want to call Sam Docherty selfish on this forum a third time.

Docherty put his hand up for selection. He’s selfish. Happy to call it out

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This will be unpopular and obviously wasn't the issue last night but I'm of the belief that for a clearly limited coach like Voss, the McKay-Curnow partnership is fool's good.

He's not creative enough to get the best out of these two talented key forwards (either keeps them deep to draw a swarm of defenders, or has Harry plod up the wing to draw all the intercept defenders when we are slow-playing the ball out of back 50, then get outmarked).

And he's also not a strong enough coach to demand better minimum standards of them (Curnow doesn't chase, ever, and barely halved a contest all year; McKay goes to ground constantly and plays way, way, way too 'nice').

We are completely wasting them. We have become so predictable. I honestly think we would be better playing McKay back just so Voss doesn't have the safety net of having both KPFs in the team, and not putting any actual thought into how the forward line should function other than 'kick it to the big blokes'.

McKay and Curnow have become far too 'all or nothing'. You need dependable talls who will halve the contest (although in our case, halving the contest when Durdin and Motlop are supposed to be the smalls isn't going to achieve a desirable outcome).

While I'm at it, the 'win the clearance' gameplan for the rest of the field is also complete trash. The actual areas of the game that you can control (running patterns/pressure when you don't have the ball, exit strategy/transition when you do have it), we literally have no method or approach.

Appalling coaching.

Can’t agree with this part. Docherty is senior enough to know he’s not ready. Team before yourself. Putting his hand up to play a final was selfish. Set himself a goal after he did his knee to play again this season and put his goal ahead of what was best for the team.

Big late career Marc Murphy vibes eh?

Yeah I agree with hindsight, picking him doesn't even seem like a coin flip, looked so far off the pace.

The proofs in the pudding, diabolical is how I would describe his tenure at Carlton.
Should have moved him on at minimum end of 2022, 2 extra wasted years of prime list time because of a reputation from many years prior.
We are so quick to sack a coach yet when it comes to other positions in the club that are on a par with importance we sit on our hands and dream it will get better, last time it was recruitment and this time phys edders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You forgot J.Barker the guy could survive being at ground zero of a nuclear bomb detonation.

A FU-King Shambles.

I am normally very positive but I just can't be this morning.

It's been said but I need to vent my anger.

TDK was either right or not, he showed he was right.
This lead to the other cluster fu-k that ensued with Kennedy in THE 2ND QUARTER!

The subbing of Chugga was just beyond comprehension. Smacked of desperation
and was obviously the wrong move when you had Durdin in paticular and Motlop ineffectual.

He will probably seek a trade. Only several weeks ago he was close to our best player.
I know he is not quick but he is tough and he can play. A DISGRACE!

Durdin completely ineffectual (injured) and MOIR would have offered far more.

Lord our No. 1 pressure player last week and criminal he was dropped.

Poor Doc was as rusty as an old gate ,this did not work, should not have played.

Fantasia defensive forward on Zorko......... :straining: , seriously????

If he is offered another year I will be outraged.

Voss has lost me I am sad to say, this showed he has no idea.

Last edited:
This will be unpopular and obviously wasn't the issue last night but I'm of the belief that for a clearly limited coach like Voss, the McKay-Curnow partnership is fool's good.

He's not creative enough to get the best out of these two talented key forwards (either keeps them deep to draw a swarm of defenders, or has Harry plod up the wing to draw all the intercept defenders when we are slow-playing the ball out of back 50, then get outmarked).

And he's also not a strong enough coach to demand better minimum standards of them (Curnow doesn't chase, ever, and barely halved a contest all year; McKay goes to ground constantly and plays way, way, way too 'nice').

We are completely wasting them. We have become so predictable. I honestly think we would be better playing McKay back just so Voss doesn't have the safety net of having both KPFs in the team, and not putting any actual thought into how the forward line should function other than 'kick it to the big blokes'.

McKay and Curnow have become far too 'all or nothing'. You need dependable talls who will halve the contest (although in our case, halving the contest when Durdin and Motlop are supposed to be the smalls isn't going to achieve a desirable outcome).

While I'm at it, the 'win the clearance' gameplan for the rest of the field is also complete trash. The actual areas of the game that you can control (running patterns/pressure when you don't have the ball, exit strategy/transition when you do have it), we literally have no method or approach.

Appalling coaching.

Could not agree more. Nailed it 👍

Footy IQ is a factor also, most teams have us covered in this department.

Watching Geelong execute a style/gameplan against a more dynamic midfield opposition on Thursday just demonstrates how coaching/scouting can give you a great belief & buy in to the task at hand but having players who understand the onfield or in game adjustments, team rules and disciplines just sets the well drilled teams apart under finals pressure.
Maybe cause they can churn out the same players so they built that synergy

Can’t agree with this part. Docherty is senior enough to know he’s not ready. Team before yourself. Putting his hand up to play a final was selfish. Set himself a goal after he did his knee to play again this season and put his goal ahead of what was best for the team.

You’re not wrong, but both parties are still absolutely at fault in the end.

I just sit and think back now, can you imagine Vossy going up to Lord, Binns and Moir and telling them we are going to trust you boys in a final?

and you absolutely know all 3 of them would’ve given their very last breath in said final.

Harry hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Think it was interesting that when we did try to run and link/take on the game how poorly our players were positioned & synced.

After watching the games before ours, it was stark contrast. All of the sides had cover, predictable patterns, support & spacing, we looked like a bunch of Aus kickers.

That’s 100% coaching, what’s truly baffling is that the players are all good enough to instinctually get to good spots, how the **** did we coach out instinct.

1. We are so poorly coached. What are our players first instincts? Long bomb.

2. Long bomb from D50 to the wing. Long bomb from wing into F50. It's instinctual for majority of our players.

3. Doesn't help that we have 0 composure when under pressure.

4. Did I mention we love a long bomb so much that our players actually find it difficult to chain handballs to move the ball up the field while other teams do this in their sleep?

It's been our game plan since Malthouse, Teague continued it and now Voss does too.

Teague talked about co-designing the game plan with the players so it's clearly something our team thinks will work.

I'm okay with it occasionally but when it isn't working why can't they pass around HF? Why can't they take shots from 50 occasionally?

Even if it doesn't work it'll make defenders have to plan for alternative entries, for a generation the opposition knows we'll bomb it long about 20-30m out, again and again and set up for it.

Appalling coaching.

You’re a wise one, SOAP.

There’s so much mounting evidence against Vossy the coach, but the club riddled with trauma of just sacking every coach when shit hits the fan, is now scared to do so and it’s keeping Vossy in a job I reckon.

We absolutely bottled the **** out of this season, no two ways about it.

They’ll blame injuries, I blame a coach not trusting his depth enough.

I also blame a coach who only lets go of his stubbornness when his hands are absolutely tied (Letting the boys just play after being 60-0 down)

I don’t want to just put this all on him, I don’t, it’s a club wide thing, but can anyone honestly tell me what our coach is elite at and has improved us in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back