Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it was interesting that when we did try to run and link/take on the game how poorly our players were positioned & synced.

After watching the games before ours, it was stark contrast. All of the sides had cover, predictable patterns, support & spacing, we looked like a bunch of Aus kickers.

That’s 100% coaching, what’s truly baffling is that the players are all good enough to instinctually get to good spots, how the **** did we coach out instinct.
Have u ever coached anything?
Like anything?
I'm not being a s arse.
What u said is correct..nothing to do with coaching.
If u carnt get guys on the park together constantly this is what happens ffs.

Again: Docherty does not select himself. It might surprise you to know he doesn't play any role in selection, because - you know - he's not on the match committee.

Reconsider whether you want to call Sam Docherty selfish on this forum a third time.
I don't blame him but based on that performance I don't know how the MC and coaches thought he'd be a difference maker.

Was so far from touch and game sense that it makes you wonder exactly what happened in the match sim that passed all the players as fit

I remember "selection integrity" being a hot topic first half of last year. That the likes of Dow should of played and or would make a difference and change our fortunes

That given the chance he would amass 30 touches and a goal and would do that at the Saints

Then we clicked in the 2nd half, players lifted their intent, pressure and we went on a huge run

After a loss or substandard performance, majority of supporters from every club, leans on the same "analysis"

Selection integrity, no plan B (no club has one), coaches are tactically inept

Hopefully we dig a little deeper

Composition of list, removing the injury prone which strengthens cohesion, total buy in as you don't need the best gameplan, just everyone playing their role

Lastly, we have a few conditional types, this needs to be stamped out quickly

This is an extremely disappointing way to end the season. Like many have already said. Selection got us. So many Why’s.

It took ma and the little guy a bit to get home last night, which gave me plenty to think about.

I bloody love this club and so does he. We’ll buy our memberships. We’ll continue to travel down to Melb to watch a few times a year. Time to start the delisting and get on with it.

The worst thing about living in Bris, if having to put up with Lions supporters. The arrogance, the limited understanding of basic rules and the sheer ‘take down of opposition supporters’ is a disgrace. One peanut even said to my 13yo to put his flag away, it’s not gonna help our mediocre team. The two 20 ish guys next to me were booing Vossy on the big screen, I asked them if they even knew who he was and what he’s done for their club and they said they had no idea.

But the booing of Doch and when he kicked the goal was enough for me.

Go Blues, I look forward to watching the trade and draft and reloading for 2025.

PS. Whoever decided to play songs after a goal needs to be put down. It’s just awful.

A FU-King Shambles.

I am normally very positive but I just can't be this morning.

It's been said but I need to vent my anger.

TDK was either right or not, he showed he was right.
This lead to the other cluster fu-k that ensued with Kennedy in THE 2ND QUARTER!

The subbing of Chugga was just beyond comprehension. Smacked of desperation
and was obviously the wrong move when you had Durdin in paticular and Motlop ineffectual.

He will probably seek a trade. Only several weeks ago he was close to our best player.
I know he is not quick but he is tough and he can play. A DISGRACE!

Durdin completely ineffectual (injured) and MOIR would have offered far more.

Lord our No. 1 pressure player last week and criminal he was dropped.

Poor Doc was as rusty as an old gate ,this did not work, should not have played.

Fantasia defensive forward on Zorko......... :straining: , seriously????

If he is offered another year I will be outraged.

Voss has lost me I am sad to say, this shows he has no idea.

I always try and look for reasons and the positives

This year has really drained me. We have gone backwards and the evidence proves it

Until we change some key issues we will struggle

Big off season for Cook & Co

Anybody who has ever run a team of people will always tell you there a some key pillars to having success.
No 1 is continuity in your people.
Chopping and changing is a disaster..cause without it other key pillars like good plans carnt be effective.
Our no 1 issue over the off season to fix has already been done..moving on andrew russell.
Have we made some odd selections?
Yes.
Do we need to tweak our style..yes.
But as a person who has run in business teams and coached my own footy teams I look at voss and say he hasn't been given in his 3 yrs stability in availability.
I've watched the last 2 premiers miss finals the following yr due to no continuity in selection due to injuries.
I've seen clubs who are at tye pointy end this season struggle including swans when their continuity of selection has been challenged.
For voss 3 yrs in charge the team keeps changing every few weeks. I actually think to have played finals twice and missed by 1 pt the other time has been pretty outstanding.
Case in point again last night..we rolled out a line up and set up for the very first time.
I think there's been some reasonable comments on here about changes but again I'll state..without continuity it's very difficult to get a true picture of the situation.

I think what you are alluding to is the ideal scenario & across a full AFL season, continuity in playing personnel is very hard to achieve.

I would suggest what we need is smart adaptable players who have self belief & confidence to execute as required. The club needs to plan for the worst each season & create an environment for the players to succeed, replace a soldier with a soldier who knows his role.

At least we got to see Doc kick a goal...
Kennedy got to travel interstate to play 5mins of footy while there was nothing else important going on in his life...
Williams and Cerra played games that Moir, Lord or Binns wouldn't have been capable of...

There's always next year.

IMO selection was final straw. Picking so many doubtful players for a final that weren’t ready made the task impossible

Docherty should NEVER have been selected
TDK as good as he is, you don’t manage minutes in a final
Williams didn’t look ready
Acres shoulder is done
Cerra hasn’t been right all year
Durdins shoulder is cooked
McGovern couldn’t stretch out

Voss said over last 2 games he was impressed with effort and composure of younger players. Then he dropped them for players that weren’t ready

Playing unfit players in finals NEVER works
There’s been some questionable decisions by Voss in how the team has been managed over the past couple of months.

Why would you bring back Cerra from an injury lay-off after what he’s shown this year. Three ineffective small forwards in Motlop (no surprises), Durdin and Williams - playing so many un-match fit and out of form players is more wishful thinking than a sign of a good coaching strategy.

As a minimum , how Cincotta and Lord were dropped in favour of the above players is beyond me.

Also, not sure it’s as simple as better assistant coaches to support Voss. He’s the Head Coach ffs and shouldn’t need an assistant to point these things out.

Not that I think it had too much bearing on the game result but watching Doc with ball in hand when twisting and turning....

he was definitely doing wider turns...which made me think he is not 100% confident in his mind...which is totally fine but why put your hand up to play in the first place??
Nah, been a few on here criticizing Doc, for putting his hand up to play. He genuinely thought he was fit enough to make a

difference in a positive way. Nothing wrong with that, obviously he has worked his ass off to get back this quickly.

Thing is, MC did not have to pick him, just because he said he was right to go.

Have u ever coached anything?
Like anything?
I'm not being a s arse.
What u said is correct..nothing to do with coaching.
If u carnt get guys on the park together constantly this is what happens ffs.
Yep, I have.
You coach the full squad, u drill everyone, even if a player isn’t as talented or skillful as another they should still be in the right spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody who has ever run a team of people will always tell you there a some key pillars to having success.
No 1 is continuity in your people.
Chopping and changing is a disaster..cause without it other key pillars like good plans carnt be effective.
Our no 1 issue over the off season to fix has already been done..moving on andrew russell.
Have we made some odd selections?
Yes.
Do we need to tweak our style..yes.
But as a person who has run in business teams and coached my own footy teams I look at voss and say he hasn't been given in his 3 yrs stability in availability.
I've watched the last 2 premiers miss finals the following yr due to no continuity in selection due to injuries.
I've seen clubs who are at tye pointy end this season struggle including swans when their continuity of selection has been challenged.
For voss 3 yrs in charge the team keeps changing every few weeks. I actually think to have played finals twice and missed by 1 pt the other time has been pretty outstanding.
Case in point again last night..we rolled out a line up and set up for the very first time.
I think there's been some reasonable comments on here about changes but again I'll state..without continuity it's very difficult to get a true picture of the situation.
Agree but you also need to be to able to cope with unexpected changes like injury, an build confidence in your team that you will be rewarded for effort.

Player development.

A stable team is one that can recognise the greater needs of the whole and adapt, by building balance and depth by introducing small changes, like blooding young players that have earned a call up when a spot becomes available throughout the year, not continually play injured players because you have no trust in players you are developing in the VFL, and only playing them when there’s no one left fit.

Again, like Geelong, ad nauseam…

We’ve absolutely got to make changes over the off season or pre season to our strategy and game plan if we want to contend:
  • One ruck only. It’s TDK. Only Pitto if TDK can’t play.
  • We need speed in the midfield. We often “win” clearances but they are not effective because we don’t have any speed to exit the front of the stoppage, create separation and kick to advantage.
  • Forget names and focus on output. When in doubt our coaching group goes back to the same blokes, like Cerra and Doc, regardless of whether they’re fit or ready to play. Completely missed a trick leaving out Cincotta and Lord.
  • Small forwards need to be able to pressure. Motlop and Williams are a back flankers dream. Durdin with one shoulder can be added to that group.

I think what you are alluding to is the ideal scenario & across a full AFL season, continuity in playing personnel is very hard to achieve.

I would suggest what we need is smart adaptable players who have self belief & confidence to execute as required. The club needs to plan for the worst each season & create an environment for the players to succeed, replace a soldier with a soldier who knows his role.
Yes...but u carnt have constant major changes like we have had.
A player or 2 going out occasionally yes..but our side every 4 weeks looked completely different.

Nah, been a few on here criticizing Doc, for putting his hand up to play. He genuinely thought he was fit enough to make a

difference in a positive way. Nothing wrong with that, obviously he has worked his ass off to get back this quickly.

Thing is, MC did not have to pick him, just because he said he was right to go.
Yeah that’s fair

I don’t know exactly how player selections like in docs case work but to me he definitely looked like he was concious of doing another acl…wider turns and easing up when turning

Could he have told the MC that he doesn’t feel 100% confident (if that’s genuinely how he felt leading into the weekend)?

either way it needed very careful consideration….there were massive emotions tied to the decision.

Round 17, Quarter time v the Giants we’d smacked on 8 goals.

From then on we won 2 more games for the year.

Ok injuries were severe, but sheesh.

What in the hell happened??
I think we started to lose the plot when Hewett, Owies and Kennedy were made sub and even dropping George.

All this to allow an un-match fit Cerra and Cottrell to come straight back from injury instead of playing them in the VFL to find form.

Selection most likely didn’t alter the result BUT it definitely lessened our chances

How Cincotta Carroll Lord Binns Moir werent selected defies logic

As Voss said himself last two weeks we played with more energy and effort. So what does he do? Drop the players that made the difference to revert to a group and game style that weren’t fit and had struggle to win for over 2 months

Agree but you also need to be to able to cope with unexpected changes like injury, an build confidence in your team that you will be rewarded for effort.

Player development.

A stable team is one that can recognise the greater needs of the whole and adapt, by building balance and depth by introducing small changes, like blooding young players that have earned a call up when a spot becomes available throughout the year, not continually play injured players because you have no trust in players you are developing in the VFL, and only playing them when there’s no one left fit.

Again, like Geelong, ad nauseam…
Small changes yes. We haven't had small changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back