Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

To be down 60-0 has to be mental. We just weren't up for it. If picking the wrong players was at fault, we would have got worse as the game went on - it can't explain the start.

IMO, too many subconsciously wrote off our chances in their head before we even picked the side.
I think the selection decisions were a huge part in the mentality of the group.

What are the selectors telling the team when they make 6 changes? When several of those changes are very underdone players? When the make the absolutely deranged decision of making TDK sub?

The coaches aren’t confident, or well prepared. They are gambling. That has to filter down to the team, right?
And on an individual level, what’s the mentality of Doc, and Cerra etc? What’s the mentality of Motlop, who gets another game after his performance against the Saints?

I think we started to lose the plot when Hewett, Owies at Kennedy were made sub and even dropping George.

All this to allow an un-match fit Cerra and Cottrell to come straight back from injury instead of playing them in the VFL to find form.
Bingo.

Three hardest workers dropped for the talented.

Two tiered coach.

Fantasia ? Gimme a break

Most of the issues from last night were raised and discussed by the majority on here prior to the game.

It wasn’t rocket science. What we did and selected defied basic common sense
We all see that but how come the coaches didn’t? Here we are armchair experts making our MC and coaches look like pure amatuers

Whoever made TDK the sub should be shot out of a cannon.
If he can’t play a full game either don’t play him, or start with him and play a runner as sub for when he is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk…
Or at least made to swim naked in a dam full of crabs 🦀

IMO players will always want to play. This is on the MC. They should have said NO. It’s that simple.

Lucky he didn’t hurt himself

Doc last night was off the pace, didn’t have leg strength and was a passenger. So much for bringing us more energy

It was sad for him and us

So the tail is wagging the dog again ?

Just question for everyone.
Are Chris Scott and mccrea crap coaches?

Round 17, Quarter time v the Giants we’d smacked on 8 goals.

From then on we won 2 more games for the year.

& that’s with a favourable draw.

Ok injuries were severe, but sheesh.

What in the hell happened??
Actually Stig, in the 7 games we lost after that game, 5 were to final 8 teams, 1 to the Pies and 1 to Saints. In a random year where form was all over the place, the run home was no gimme. It looked that way at the start of the year, I agree.

Why was Kennedy subbed of 10 minutes into the second? There were about 11 others who should have been subbed off, was that another stoke of genius from Voss the genius?

Clearly that was what was intended from the start and most likely would have happened anyway sometime during the third quarter, it shows off Voss’s complete inflexibility and stubbornness when it comes to selection.

That needs to change or he’ll find himself unemployed soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, rolling the dice and brining in that many players backfired. Starting TDK as sub backfired. But I'll say it again, our unsophisticated game plan is the biggest issue. I can't hammer home enough this is the biggest flaw.

Us being 60-0 down in a final because our lack of intensity is one thing, but our inability to score when our intensity is off is because we don't have a ball moving system that allows us to kick some goals when all else fails.

We have struggle all year with getting cheap goals against the tide. Cheap goals happen because even when being well beaten around the contest, every now and then a proper ball moving system will allow for some easy goals.

We don't have too look far, Hawthorn is the perfect example. No superstars but a system that is well drilled, and well executed.

We cannot rely on pure pressure and individual brilliance to win a flag. That should be the only thing we work on all summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was Kennedy subbed of 10 minutes into the second? There were about 11 others who should have been subbed off, was that another stoke of genius from Voss the genius?
But..

We played much better after he went off. We would have been too top heavy taking off a small forward for TDK.

As we all mostly agree, Cinc should have been playing for one of our vanilla small forwards

Chris Scott the best coach in the modern era

McRae isn’t as good but he definitely seen something nobody else did and knew his squad could do it, which is a huge feat in its own right

I don’t know about McRae but I didn’t think the Pies last year had close to the best list in the AFL but he got the result

I said it a few weeks back.
Harry needs to become our Hawkins.
Hit the gym, put on 15 kgs, and learn how to stand his ground.

Get Charlie roaming like Cameron.
We don't have anything near the calibre of Stengle, Close and Miers at the drop of the ball. Also, look at Neale and Henry coming on as alternative tall forwards. Our gameplan up forward is Charlie - Harry - bust. Not sustainable.

Not playing the kids? We had more under 24 year olds than the Lions

This is disingenuous Arr0w 'the kids' in this context are Lord, Binns and Moir, all of whom were dropped for bigger names returning from injury.

Impossible to say if they'd have made the difference but it's a clear marker of the MC philosophy of big name players over squad depth.

Lucky we dropped the kids like Lord, Moir & Binns so we could play a heap of underdone, out of form players & save being embarrassed :poo::think::rolleyes::p:D:eek:

At least the good news we will have these come Round 1 (or 0) next year with another full pre-season under their belt.

Not all doom and gloom.

I said it a few weeks back.
Harry needs to become our Hawkins.
Hit the gym, put on 15 kgs, and learn how to stand his ground.

Get Charlie roaming like Cameron.
You cannot change his heart and his mentality. To put it crudely - he hasn't got any **** in him

Last edited by a moderator:
While it may not have been to our team advantage, since he did play I do celebrate the fact Doc did get through the game OK.

Pending any off season disasters, he should be firing on all cylinders come next season.

Actually Stig, in the 7 games we lost after that game, 5 were to final 8 teams, 1 to the Pies and 1 to Saints. In a random year where form was all over the place, the run home was no gimme. It looked that way at the start of the year, I agree.

From memory we had 3 games at Marvel in 13 days, r18-20.

That sapped us.

Chris Scott the best coach in the modern era

McRae isn’t as good but he definitely seen something nobody else did and knew his squad could do it, which is a huge feat in its own right
Carnt disagree.
But both missed finals after winning a flag.
Esp Chris Scott who pre 22 cats fans on mass wanted sacked.
So how did the best coach of the modern era miss finals last season??

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back