Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love Harry to come out in 2025 with a bit of see you next Tuesday about him. Get him to watch some Jarryd Roughead tapes over the summer - similarly mild mannered blokes but Roughy had so much presence and aura on the field.

Docherty put his hand up for selection. He’s selfish. Happy to call it out

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You're not on your own with that view.

He knew that not only would he be defying medical advice, but would also not be match-hardened, for a FINAL FFS!!!

His decision to want to play cost anyone of Cincotta or Lord or Binns or Moir an opportunity

Result wouldn't change but maybe culture, standards and non-negotiables were compromised

I wanna know wtf happened at qtr time in our giants game???
At that point 6 goals up, playing free flowing footy and absolutely flying( even with some injuries).
Since then we have looked like a stodgy scared team that wants to “zone off “ all day allowing the opposition to just waltz past us.
Last night was just a magnified culmination of that. Absolute freedom for their loose players and bugger all pressure.
Are we that unfit??
Are we playing a shit game style??
Are we just bloody stupid???

Absolutely echo the thoughts on TDK starting sub. Ridiculous
And cincotta should have been first picked to sit on Zorko. Even if he never touched the ball it would be more effective than mots/durds.

Anyway. Enjoy ya preseason.
Go blues

Lost this during the week. Not necessarily because of who we brought in, but who went out and who we left in along with our matchup decisions.

What frustrates me most is the mistakes you could see coming from a mile away - Leaving Zorko untagged is such a rookie mistake it's embarrassingly bad for a professional outfit. Having De Koning as sub was so obviously wrong every member could've told the MC it was wrong. Durdin and Motlop being the 2 small forwards was never, ever going to work. Not sure how many games you need to see them both doing nothing to realise that.

We lost the game on Thursday after making amateurs decisions 90% of layman fans could tell you were wrong.

I don’t know about McRae but I didn’t think the Pies last year had close to the best list in the AFL but he got the result
He got extremely lucky last year.

However, to a certain extent, you make your own luck. McRae’s number 1 focus is doing the basics of football well. Everything stems from that. Interesting that this is something that Carlton are very poor at.

One other question on the coaching, what the **** have they done to Saad? Gone from a dynamic playmaker to a kind of solid back pocket who doesn't get much of the ball. Weird.
Our no defence midfield causing a constant and easy stream of ball going into our D50 is killing the flair our defencive flair.

Our onball group is the source of all our issues.

They don't tackle. They don't chase well enough. They don't tackle because they can't catch them.

The forwards don't get fed and the defenders aren't given a chance due to lack of pressure.

Our pressure all over the ground is poor but it stems from what is happening in the middle.

The only guy getting good tackle numbers is Walsh because he is the only one who can run and move laterally. The other guy who had good tackle numbers was Lord and we dropped him.

Anyone who can not get regular good tackle numbers in the onball group needs to be looked at as a player we need to move on.

This is not modern football we have setup here.

You're not on your own with that view.

He knew that not only would he be defying medical advice, but would also not be match-hardened, for a FINAL FFS!!!

His decision to want to play cost anyone of Cincotta or Lord or Binns or Moir an opportunity

Result wouldn't change but maybe culture, standards and non-negotiables were compromised
This is what I was leading to earlier …well said

I wanna know wtf happened at qtr time in our giants game???
At that point 6 goals up, playing free flowing footy and absolutely flying( even with some injuries).
Since then we have looked like a stodgy scared team that wants to “zone off “ all day allowing the opposition to just waltz past us.
Last night was just a magnified culmination of that. Absolute freedom for their loose players and bugger all pressure.
Are we that unfit??
Are we playing a shit game style??
Are we just bloody stupid???

Absolutely echo the thoughts on TDK starting sub. Ridiculous
And cincotta should have been first picked to sit on Zorko. Even if he never touched the ball it would be more effective than mots/durds.

Anyway. Enjoy ya preseason.
Go blues
The change didn’t happen at quarter time, it happened 20 seconds earlier when Weitering decided to chip inboard to Ollie Hollands and give up a completely unnecessary goal.

Lost this during the week. Not necessarily because of who we brought in, but who went out and who we left in along with our matchup decisions.

What frustrates me most is the mistakes you could see coming from a mile away - Leaving Zorko untagged is such a rookie mistake it's embarrassingly bad for a professional outfit. Having De Koning as sub was so obviously wrong every member could've told the MC it was wrong. Durdin and Motlop being the 2 small forwards was never, ever going to work. Not sure how many games you need to see them both doing nothing to realise that.

We lost the game on Thursday after making amateurs decisions 90% of layman fans could tell you were wrong.
Motlop and Durdin are just being gifted games due to their designation as a "small forward" option. Neither is even close to performing at base AFL level standard.

If they can't recruit and develop a talented small forward - and clearly our coaching aptitude is deficient in this regard - then they should look to the secondary leagues to recruit a mature aged small forward. You look at someone like Shaun Mannagh - the guy was hungry for an AFL opportunity and has been in the system long enough to know to do the basics right.

I said it a few weeks back.
Harry needs to become our Hawkins.
Hit the gym, put on 15 kgs, and learn how to stand his ground.

Get Charlie roaming like Cameron.
He's put all this effort into improving his speed and you see him wrestling and losing contests more than using his speed and jump to lead up at the ball. It's a point.

Then again if we moved the ball quickly and carried it a lot better we might see more of this from him.

Bombing the ball ontop of forwards is what teams who don't have run and carry do.

Genuinely believe carlton weren't mentally up to it this year. Took things a bit for granted and let talent do the talking.

A symptom of bottoming out in 2015 and 2018 perhaps.

Anyway, a good learning experience for the playing group and we should start off getting an easier draw and a better draft pick.

Still disappointed but it's much better to make finals than not. I say this because there is no experience like finals experience, it's harder to attract players if you don't make finals, it's financially better for the club, plus it makes the season go for that little bit longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selection most likely didn’t alter the result BUT it definitely lessened our chances

How Cincotta Carroll Lord Binns Moir werent selected defies logic

As Voss said himself last two weeks we played with more energy and effort. So what does he do? Drop the players that made the difference to revert to a group and game style that weren’t fit and had struggle to win for over 2 months

Moir is one of the very few natural forwards we have. He laid tackles and kicked goals in both of his games. None of our smaller forwards are very threatening. Pick Durdin, Motlop or Williams, I bet Moir would have done more.

Lord had an eye watering amount of tackles and possessions compared to his TOG last game. We picked Cerra who provided noting. Voss doesn't know his players at all, we all know Cerra was going to give us nothing, he is a very very overrated player by our coaching group.

Carroll was the sub in the opening round and came on and changed the game up there against this team last year.

Binns had been pretty damn solid.

It's a really really good point.

Have u ever coached anything?
Like anything?
I'm not being a s arse.
What u said is correct..nothing to do with coaching.
If u carnt get guys on the park together constantly this is what happens ffs.
Wrong ;)

Voss was a really good coach for the first two thirds of the season, then deliberately decided to be a shit coach for the last third.

The fact that we dealt with the fitness bloke before the end of the season, says to me we knew we didn't have a hope in hell of doing anything in the finals, regardless of who was coaching.

I don’t know about McRae but I didn’t think the Pies last year had close to the best list in the AFL but he got the result
Agree..but my point with both Scott and mccrea is 12 months on from winning flags their teams missed finals?
Why?
They missed cause they had no continuity in selection due to injury.

Another year of the premiership window wasted under a proven failed coach.

And the worst thing is it looks like he’s done enough to scrape through for another year.

Rinse and repeat the same issues next year and another year of the window down the drain.

Ever seen a Ross Lyon team down 60-0 in a final?

Should have got Ross Lyon.

I think Lyon is a bit like Voss. Old school and not a forward thinker.

I really wanted Kingsley when we sacked Teague.

What about showing the group esp young guys that don't waste your career..here's a bloke who just so desperate to play and do everything in his power to do so
I get that and I said earlier that the decision was a very difficult one imo.

At the end of the day I believe it was the wrong decision.

The omission of cincotta and lord and maybe even Moir to bring in doc who let’s face it was never going to amount to much with how long he’s been out…as much a champion he is …he’s not superman …he’s human.

As far as other the young guys go…we saw how much energy they brought to the team…

They aren’t the problem…a stubborn coach not giving them opportunities through the season is the real problem.

We need to inject more youth…look at hawks flying

Wrong ;)

Voss was a really good coach for the first two thirds of the season, then deliberately decided to be a shit coach for the last third.

The fact that we dealt with the fitness bloke before the end of the season, says to me we knew we didn't have a hope in hell of doing anything in the finals, regardless of who was coaching.
So ur agreeing with me

Have u ever coached anything?
Like anything?
I'm not being a s arse.
What u said is correct..nothing to do with coaching.
If u carnt get guys on the park together constantly this is what happens ffs.

I'll start by saying it's always a combination of more than one variable

BUT...coaches are entrusted to maximise the opportunity for success given the resources they have at their disposal

IMHO...the players let us down badly with their intent, injuries conspired as well and the coaching group got selections woefully wrong, got the sub woefully wrong, got the subbed out player woefully wrong and got the gameplan woefully wrong

Does that change the result? Unlikely
Would the game have been a fairer reflection than that 60-0 scoreline suggested? 100%

And anybody who wants to always toe the line about players needing to be more accountable, I agree. However, human nature JUST DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY because of intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation

The same players stagnating under Buckley thrived under McCrae
The same players who failed under Ian Stewart blossomed under Jezza
The same players who were cruising under Percy Jones succeeded under Parkin
The same Collingwood players who won the wooden spoon in 1976 drew in a GF in 1977 under Hafey

Saying it has nothing to do with coaching is like being told your child should have the intrinsic motivation, grit, resilience and work ethic to succeed in Maths regardless of their teacher. How would many parents go hearing that from a principal??

It's not all about coaching but good coaching makes a sh1tload of difference...so yeah, it's also about coaching
We can debate the apportioning of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back