Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A few things that stood out

We were beaten all night arielly, it was putrid

We didn't work hard enough to keep the ball inside, as such, Lions were already on the spread

We lack genuine leg speed, which we all know. Austin needs to fix this and quick

A fair number of conditional efforts from a handful of players. Ultimately, this rests with Voss. Get tough on these types, drop them if don't tow the line, otherwise it won't end well
Sayers, Lloyd, Austin have failed and need to go by the time you add Cook to that it all adds up to a lost generation and a rebuild.
What a sham that 2021 review was.
Remember what I said about putting a consultant as head of a football club. Good at selling candy.

Disagree

Look at Geelong. They looked like a midfield of Usain Bolts.

Its the ball movement and tactics that make our team look slow.

Look at our kick ins from the backline. 99% of the time we just take it to the wing and kick to a pack.
Spot on.

A ball disposed of by hand and foot will always travel faster than a player can run.

If players are willing to push themselves to be in the right positions and dispose of the ball quickly, you can have a slower midfield.

The flag.

That’s the point.

A better example would be K Hinkley.
No it isn't.
Both coaches couldnt get their team to play finals yr after winning a flag.
Why?
Even the so called best coach in comp and some say of the modern era missed finals with prem list.
They missed cause esp early in season due to disruption to selection due to injury.

No it isn't.
Why?
Even the so called best coach in comp and some say of the modern era missed finals with prem list.
They missed cause esp early in season due to disruption to selection due to injury.
Well, you won't have to worry about Voss backing up a premiership year.

Sayers, Lloyd, Austin have failed and need to go by the time you add Cook to that it all adds up to a lost generation and a rebuild.
What a sham that 2021 review was.
Remember what I said about putting a consultant as head of a football club. Good at selling candy.

I can’t agree.

Off field we are in a great spot and we are stable

I think our recruiting has been more than okay. I still think our list, although needs improving, is much better than we are showing

I do have issues with giving average players long term contracts. Cottrell Durdin etc made no sense to me. Borderline player should be on one year deals

Fitness and game plan is my number one issue

1st Qtr

season 10 episode 22 GIF

2nd Qtr

Tired Good Night GIF by Looney Tunes

3rd Qtr

You Are Alive Episode 8 GIF by MacGruber

4th Qtr

GIF by CBC
Just to be clear, I've attached a laughter emoji, because this is genuinely funny. Definitely not taking the piss out of the Blues or their supporters...As a Cats fan, I've seen them get towelled up in finals plenty of times (despite also seeing them go OK in a few), so I know how hard this is on everyone who follows the Club. Commiserations.

Pitto & Kennedy were worst on ground early in the match. Maybe Kennedy’s preparation impacted his performance.

Not saying he should’ve been subbed but I’m not as dirty as most with it.

I agree. Kennedy was poor.

The only gripe you could have was that he had plenty of mates giving nothing too. Durdin playing with one shoulder made no sense to me.

Chugga was probably just a victim of selection and team balance as much as anything.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Walsh, Cerra, Ollie, Hewett hardly ever kick goals. Kennedy does but I suspect mainly when pushed forward.

We need more scoring output from our mids.

Our defence needs major overhauling, it’s dysfunctional. We need to remove the likes of McGov and Williams from defence as we need to build stability and cohesion there and can’t rely on those 2.

Our forward line needs new small and mediums to settle in place. I think Fogarty falls into the always injured category, keeps missing with long term injuries at crucial moments of our season. Fantasia farewell, Motlop can’t be given a spot in the 1s till he’s fit and shows appropriate application. Durdin will be another cruelled by injury it seems. Owies serviceable. And a new forward coach for sure!

I'll start by saying it's always a combination of more than one variable

BUT...coaches are entrusted to maximise the opportunity for success given the resources they have at their disposal

IMHO...the players let us down badly with their intent, injuries conspired as well and the coaching group got selections woefully wrong, got the sub woefully wrong, got the subbed out player woefully wrong and got the gameplan woefully wrong

Does that change the result? Unlikely
Would the game have been a fairer reflection than that 60-0 scoreline suggested? 100%

And anybody who wants to always toe the line about players needing to be more accountable, I agree. However, human nature JUST DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY because of intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation

The same players stagnating under Buckley thrived under McCrae
The same players who failed under Ian Stewart blossomed under Jezza
The same players who were cruising under Percy Jones succeeded under Parkin
The same Collingwood players who won the wooden spoon in 1976 drew in a GF in 1977 under Hafey

Saying it has nothing to do with coaching is like being told your child should have the intrinsic motivation, grit, resilience and work ethic to succeed in Maths regardless of their teacher. How would many parents go hearing that from a principal??

It's not all about coaching but good coaching makes a sh1tload of difference...so yeah, it's also about coaching
We can debate the apportioning of it
You miss the point.
Just for people to blantly say voss carnt coach is unfair imo.
To me he's had the no 1 pillar.. continuity not available to him.
When he does then we will be in a better position to judge.

I think the selection decisions were a huge part in the mentality of the group.

What are the selectors telling the team when they make 6 changes? When several of those changes are very underdone players? When the make the absolutely deranged decision of making TDK sub?

The coaches aren’t confident, or well prepared. They are gambling. That has to filter down to the team, right?
And on an individual level, what’s the mentality of Doc, and Cerra etc? What’s the mentality of Motlop, who gets another game after his performance against the Saints?

I don't disagree with some of the selection decisions being ordinary. Motlop should have gone, but we were compromised by not having Owies and Fog. Cinc should have played.

In the first quarter, all 22 players are fresh. But what the **** did they deliver from an intent perspective? The 6 who came in are theoretically in our best 15. Every one of our 42 on the list should have been able to at least mentally apply themselves to the task. Tackle, contest in the air to at least spoil.

We just didn't come to play, it happens. People just find it easier to blame one person, rather than accept that about 16 of our players let us down badly.

You’re a wise one, SOAP.

There’s so much mounting evidence against Vossy the coach, but the club riddled with trauma of just sacking every coach when shit hits the fan, is now scared to do so and it’s keeping Vossy in a job I reckon.

We absolutely bottled the **** out of this season, no two ways about it.

They’ll blame injuries, I blame a coach not trusting his depth enough.

I also blame a coach who only lets go of his stubbornness when his hands are absolutely tied (Letting the boys just play after being 60-0 down)

I don’t want to just put this all on him, I don’t, it’s a club wide thing, but can anyone honestly tell me what our coach is elite at and has improved us in?
Truth hurts. But I still have faith.
Let's see how far we go next season.

I'm hoping Cooky can be the wise head we need. Speak some unpopular truths with no fear.
All is not lost. I think about great coaches who needed time and the right support around them. Including fitness staff.

Perhaps a really hard question is do we want to 'get after' ( why do we always have coaches who overuse buzz phrases? Why???) the exciting game style we are seeing as the hot new direction, or ...do we fix the one Vossy wants. Is it bringing out the best in our team?
And if not...why?
Are we prepared to change and bring in new players to drive that change?

I can see all of Wilson lord and moir coming into this side next season and maybe someone like okeefe . - that is a fair amount of change just with what on the current list .

players like gov and Williams who have high skill level but pick and choose there moments need to be filtered out.

Lloyd and Austin's abilities will be really exposed this off season - one for Lloyd to improve the coaching department for him to get swans fitness boss is good start - I give him an out on not sacking Russel as after the review was made public Russel was one man who got a tick - but he has work to do on his coaching mix - maybe promote power to midfield coach and move on Clarke and adding someone like Simpson would be great ..
Austin really needs to clear the deadwood and somehow find some small fwds with speed as durdin Fanta motlop all on his watch .
Don't need a reset just a re jig.

I agree. Kennedy was poor.

The only gripe you could have was that he had plenty of mates giving nothing too. Durdin playing with one shoulder made no sense to me.

Chugga was probably just a victim of selection and team balance as much as anything.

It seemed that Kennedy was being asked to do a lot of ruck work - no wonder he was struggling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truth hurts. But I still have faith.
Let's see how far we go next season.

I'm hoping Cooky can be the wise head we need. Speak some unpopular truths with no fear.
All is not lost. I think about great coaches who needed time and the right support around them. Including fitness staff.

Perhaps a really hard question is do we want to 'get after' ( why do we always have coaches who overuse buzz phrases? Why???) the exciting game style we are seeing as the hot new direction, or ...do we fix the one Vossy wants. Is it bringing out the best in our team?
And if not...why?
Are we prepared to change and bring in new players to drive that change?

I hope so. I can’t remember being so disappointed. Probably because I thought we were a genuine chance this year and fell away so badly

The second half of the year has been like watching a car crash in slow motion

I have to believe that those in charge see the issues and will be aggressive in fixing them

You miss the point.
Just for people to blantly say voss carnt coach is unfair imo.
To me he's had the no 1 pillar.. continuity not available to him.
When he does then we will be in a better position to judge.

He has also compromised continuity with selections/non selections over the year

Nobody disputes continuity because of injury.

No it isn't.
Why?

100%, been saying this for near on 3 years now, plenty of people on this site don’t think the club can do anything wrong.

Russell and his cohort has completely fkd the last 2 years minimum and severely impacted before then.

Getting our players fit and available is their job, we’ve been woefully inept at doing this and it’s cost us big time.

Get our list fit and healthy and the players are there to contend but starting every season and continuing into the season proper with an arm or two tied behind your back is too big a hurdle for ANY team in this comp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the selection decisions were a huge part in the mentality of the group.

What are the selectors telling the team when they make 6 changes? When several of those changes are very underdone players? When the make the absolutely deranged decision of making TDK sub?

The coaches aren’t confident, or well prepared. They are gambling. That has to filter down to the team, right?
And on an individual level, what’s the mentality of Doc, and Cerra etc? What’s the mentality of Motlop, who gets another game after his performance against the Saints?
One week they’re telling team next man in. Next man in performs and still should be next man in as previous men in are underprepared to return.

Then you have a previous man in saying his fit after 6 months. Straight back in. Another previous man in not 100% ready but we’ll manage minutes. Another previous man sending texts morning of/before that he’s also ready but you get crickets.

I think Lord in 2 games got more disposals and pressure acts, tackles than some of our smalls have had combined in a few games.

It’s all very confusing. I’d hate to be Cinc, Lord, Binns, Carrol about now. Even Moir off an aparent low fitness base would of seen Durdins and Fantasia outputs and seeing Kennedy as forward lumbering after an emotional 24 hours and thinking WTF.

Now lets put the trade Hewitt talk to bed. He has been one of best performed players in a dismal 2nd half of the season. Yet another poor MC decision. Fantasia and Motlop have been gifted games all year, and George gets subbed.
Now that is Voss arrogance.

If we don't start being honest and picking blokes who deserve to be picked next year, I'll be done with this club.
TBH, I'll buy a membership next year just to get 25 consecutive years up, but I dont want to right now.

106+k members deserved better than that, and I'm not putting that down to the players.
Consecutive membership seems to mean nothing to CFC so don’t worry too much about that! Gives you nothing even if you are 35 years consecutive

100%, been saying this for near on 3 years now, plenty of people on this site don’t think the club can do anything wrong.

Russell and his cohort has completely fkd the last 2 years minimum and severely impacted before then.

Getting our players fit and available is their job, we’ve been woefully inept at doing this and it’s cost us big time.

Get our list fit and healthy and the players are there to contend but starting every season and continuing into the season proper with an arm or two tied behind your back is too big a hurdle for ANY team in this comp.

Spot on

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Lyon is a bit like Voss. Old school and not a forward thinker.

I really wanted Kingsley when we sacked Teague.
Amazing watching Kingsley, Scott, Mitchell and Horse in the box and clearly articulating and controlling things. Horse did the sidelines thing whilst they were rebuilding and now this season they’re a contender he’s gone back in the box to have full control.

Hinkley, Voss on the field.. arms crossed. Sitting on the pine..

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back