Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that there are a lot of lessons to learn from this game

But frankly, season was over sometime after the GWS game.

There is a mismatch between the game plan and the players, who are either not suited to their roles or their bodies aren't capable of sustaining the efforts required.

Interesting off-season ahead

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Totally and a good run in.

Personally
Think we need a top line small forward
Another key defender
A kick out plan other than going long to a contest
Maybe some speed/point of difference in the mids

Other than that I'm happy with the blues. Were close l
I'm going to put it this way: between the Hollands, both Camporeale boys and the draft, our wings, flanks and forward pockets - even the inside mids - are going to look very, very different inside 2 season.

The problem we have is that we have a critical mass of slow midfielders which is exacerbated by Pittonett when he's in there. Walsh is not slow but is made to look it by being the fastest between Hewitt, Kennedy, Cripps, Pittonett; he's the only one able really to chase from inside to out, and he's not a patch on the pace of a Brad Close or Chad Warner or Rozee or JHF or Daicos or -

You get the picture.

What if we were able to slowly rotate options like Kennedy/Hewitt for faster options, choosing to use these player when and only when those players are piping hot and fit? What if instead of Walsh having to play through injury, we could give him rests? What if we were able to use Elijah and Ollie as stoppage mids with decent first steps?

What if we can retain some of the power - or have it to go to, when we need it - whilst also having significantly more legspeed and disposal into front half?

The problem is twofold at present: we need fast ball from back half or direct victories from stoppages forward of centre to score, because our transition from turnover is unreliable purely due to our difficulty moving the ball fast. We go long and high out of back half and into forward 50 because we're forced into it, not because it's planned. The other problem - as stated - is that our transition options are unreliable because a) the players needed to make it work - Fog, Cuningham, McGovern, Williams, Walsh, Boyd, Kemp, Newman - are frequently unavailable or being used as a bandaid, and/or b) their form has gone to dogshit because too much is relying on them. If you rely on 1-3 players for a gamestyle to work and one of them isn't there and the other two's form is dubious - as was the case when Saad and Gov went down and Boyd-Newman weren't going so well - that system is simply not going to work real well.

Imagine a system of transition in which there are 9 equal components, from intercept defenders, flankers, wings, mids and pockets. That's what Hawthorn had when they won their trio. A half metre's space might as well as have been a mile for all the opposition could touch them in transition.

In two season's time, we'll have access to two full seasons worth of draftees, two full seasons worth of development, and two full seasons worth of new ideas and emergences and the waning of key components.

Things will most definitely not stay the same.

I’d just like the MC to reward form and fitness and remove the names on the magnets.
Trust a Binns/Lord/Young/Moir/Wilson/Carroll et al to come in and do the job instead of running the better players into the ground and have them continuously playing when a rest would be very beneficial at any part of the season not just the last few weeks.
We stuffed ourselves to the point where a lot of those came in and performed but didn’t have the depth of our better players to take the heavy load.
We cannot afford to do that next year, next man up should work as a whole of club list across the entirety of the season and use the twos to build form and fitness for those out of form or coming back from injury layoffs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This.

Sometimes we disagree on here about selections.

I’ve never ever seen total unanimous “wtf” about Cinc not getting picked. Some had him identified for Neale. Most for Zorko. None, not one single poster didn’t want him in the side.

Now some may say “what would fans know”? Well….to not have a single fan calling for him to be dropped yet he gets dropped is incredible. I can’t recall that happening before.

I also can’t recall anyone asking for Lord to be dropped. His tackling and pressure and end to end running was great.

What am I saying? Either the ENTIRE thousands of Carlton fans are wrong…..

OR

Maybe just maybe

The coaches (namely Voss) had a colossal **** up of a game.

Now…..it would at least give some small comfort to hear him admit it.

But he didn’t. Why do I want him to admit it? To see he is humble and able to reflect on himself and learn.

He is really worrying me.
He didn’t get the nickname crazy Vossy for nothing

That's bloody harsh. 1 and a half quarters, during which he played half back, half forward and ruck.

He still had 5 disposals at 80% efficiency, 3 contested possessions and a tackle and this was during the worst period of the game from a team perspective.

It was a stupid decision to sub him as was not starting with TDK as was leaving Cincotta out.

Zorko makes the all Australian off half back but the coaches think that Fanta and/or Motlop will handle him.

He was the third highest possession winner on the ground behind George and Crippa, seriously wtf.

I didn't find the ins so bad, the only one I doubted was Cerra - he's shown a few times now he's not one to come in and impact immediately, he needs to build over a few games, so he was one in I was curious about. I didn't hate the Doc in and he performed about as expected - I didn't think he was bad. Maybe timid once or twice but overall not close to our worst.

What I did dislike was the obvious errors that all and sundry could see before the game. Most could've told you Durdin and Motlop both being left in was a mistake. Dropping Cincotta despite having a PERFECT matchup in exactly his best spot, defensive tagging forward, was a mistake. TDK as sub was a clear mistake. As above, picking Cerra was one.

The thing is none of those were mistakes in hindsight - they were all decisions that 90% of this board could've told you were mistakes before the bounce. We shot ourselves in the foot then acted post-game like well we had to make some selection risks.

Yes, we get risks, risks are McKay short term soft tissue injury. Doc is obvious. Leaving Charlie out. Those are risks we understand. The "we had to take risks" line is not the same as making objectively bad decisions that were clearly bad decisions on Friday, so I'm not giving them that out, that was as poor a MC as we've had all season - if not in all of Voss' time at Carlton.

I’d just like the MC to reward form and fitness and remove the names on the magnets.
Trust a Binns/Lord/Young/Moir/Wilson/Carroll et al to come in and do the job instead of running the better players into the ground and have them continuously playing when a rest would be very beneficial at any part of the season not just the last few weeks.
We stuffed ourselves to the point where a lot of those came in and performed but didn’t have the depth of our better players to take the heavy load.
We cannot afford to do that next year, next man up should work as a whole of club list across the entirety of the season and use the twos to build form and fitness for those out of form or coming back from injury layoffs

The trouble for Binns, Lord, Wilson and Carroll was, our players in the middle of the ground were very robust. It kind of debunks the theory that the contested brand was too taxing.

Cripps played every game (24) and will go close to the Brownlow. Kennedy played every game, albeit sub affected in a few of them. Hewett played 22 games, also sub a bit.

Walsh played 20 after not starting, the 2 wingers both played 23. You could certainly argue that Ollie could have been rested to allow Binns to play. The blokes in the middle doing a lot of the contested stuff were actually not the problem. Cerra was really the only mid who wasn't regularly available. It was unfortunate that our "next-in-line" players were mainly stuck behind the non-injured.

The soft tissue problems seem to always affect our speedier flanker types more, for which we don't have ready to go replacements.

Anyone else find it strange that no Carlton player got any coaches votes? Assuming the Gary Aryes medallist is voted by coaches? I understand we got thumped but I thought Crippa and Hewett played well. Hewett beat Neale imo Yet Neale got votes.

Anyone else find it strange that no Carlton player got any coaches votes? Assuming the Gary Aryes medallist is voted by coaches? I understand we got thumped but I thought Crippa and Hewett played well. Hewett beat Neale imo Yet Neale got votes.
Not really, we got smashed when it counted.

Can't give anyone votes with that shocking first half performance.

If anything Cripps maybe should of got 1 for scoring our first goal....

Not in the slightest, we got smashed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just find it incredible that the coaching department turns it nose up at so many players. Geelong and Hawthorn regularly blooded youth even during their premiership years. Why did we try to force Cerra and Cottrell so hard to the point it broke them? Nobody can say that it was worth the risk over giving the kids a chance. All it ever did was kill our form by adding a few passengers just as our form was peaking for the season.

The elimination final team changes were truly our MC's magnum opus though. 6 half cooked players picked on name alone with only TDK justifying his selection but he was made the sub :drunk:?

No player in a team that goes 0-60 before scoring in any game deserves votes.

I just find it incredible that the coaching department turns it nose up at so many players. Geelong and Hawthorn regularly blooded youth even during their premiership years. Why did we try to force Cerra and Cottrell so hard to the point it broke them? Nobody can say that it was worth the risk over giving the kids a chance. All it ever did was kill our form by adding a few passengers just as our form was peaking for the season.

The elimination final team changes were truly our MC's magnum opus though. 6 half cooked players picked on name alone with only TDK justifying his selection but he was made the sub :drunk:?

I think H justified his selection, but your point stands.

I have nothing against Harry but he could've better spent his time at home instead of been forced to play with Motlop, Fantasia, Durdin and Williams.
It beggars belief that in the 2 weeks of planning, for a player who is clearly in the top 2 that we have to plan against, holding a really good match up for him, we drop Cincotta and let Zorko rack up 19 first half possessions and 10 Coaches' Votes.

It beggars belief that in the 2 weeks of planning, for a player who is clearly in the top 2 that we have to plan against, holding a really good match up for him, we drop Cincotta and let Zorko rack up 19 first half possessions and 10 Coaches' Votes.

Cue in rack 2 weeks ago...

Considering how often we let the opposition better players run around unopposed it didn't surprise me.

How many clubs would let Nick Daicos run around goal side by himself in a close game....

Considering how often we let the opposition better players run around unopposed it didn't surprise me.

How many clubs would let Nick Daicos run around goal side by himself in a close game....

Our 2 best wins, and a bunch of other wins when we weren't playing so well, Cincotta was doing a job.
Showed a lot more than I thought he had in him.

I just can't comprehend that decision.
Even if you want to make 6 changes, how does he get dropped before any of Motlop/Durdin/Fantasia? The first 2 in particular?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back