Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

cinc in taht form yes, but he wasnā€™t playing with taht form towards the end

Seriously do not think it a big ask for Williams in particular to lockdown zorko
Williams was under an injury cloud before the game and has never been an elite trainer according to any of the track watchers. He would be the second last person (only Motlop would be worse) I would use in a defensive forward lockdown role. That said I thought I saw Doc and Fanta opposed to Zorko for a lot of the first half and couldnā€™t get the job done. Both are better choices than Williams, Durdin or Motlop but neither wouldā€™ve done as good a job as Cincotta. It was pretty obvious to everyone that Cincotta should have got the job.

Our 2 best wins, and a bunch of other wins when we weren't playing so well, Cincotta was doing a job.
Showed a lot more than I thought he had in him.

I just can't comprehend that decision.
Even if you want to make 6 changes, how does he get dropped before any of Motlop/Durdin/Fantasia? The first 2 in particular?
Agreed. Fanta has impressed me with his defensive efforts this year. He has lost his old spark but he is a team player. I had no issue with him playing. However neither of Durdin or Motlop shouldā€™ve been picked ahead of Cincotta. Durdin, for all his faults tries his heart out, but he was playing with one arm and should never have played. Motlop has been poor in every game Iā€™ve seen him play this year, including in the reserves, and didnā€™t deserve to play a final. I wouldā€™ve preferred we played Moir rather than Motlop, let alone Cincotta.

Our rehab staff
Laughing And Crying Pedro Pascal GIF by Golden Globes

Trading Walsh??????
Yeah if you want to rip the heart out of our club.
Last bloke I would trade.
Think he meant Kennedy and Cerra.

Cerra is premature, was our best performing mid during that horror run in the first half of '23 and this year he was just ruined by injury. We sort out his hammies and he's an important cog.

Kennedy I can see more, he hasn't done anything wrong exactly just a victim of having too many similar types in our midfield. Cripps Hewett Cerra and Kennedy all in, geez no wonder we look slow and can't catch anyone to lay a tackle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to say that the plan wasn't executed because it was ill-founded

Understatement of the year.

IF TDK was good to go - then why was he a sub?
IF things weren't working why was Kennedy picked as the best player to bench to bring on TDK?
IF ZORKO was always going to be their playmaker - who was physically capable of shutting him down and why didn't they and if it wasn't Cincotta who was it going to be?

We always new their ruckman was a key to clearances. How could Pittonet be so PATHETIC for SO LONG?

This was always going to be a hard one to win - but it seems to me Voss was happy to play the risk card and roll the dice on players he wanted to perform - and didn't. BUT worse to me was his match day mismatches all over the park but especially ZORKO.

The game showed up what Carlton's achilles heel has been all year=- and that is a dysfunctional forward line made up of blokes who can't stop good opposition walking the ball out at will. Motlop/Durdin/Fantasia/Williams lost the game for Carlton by inept forward fifty defensive efforts. helped along magnificently by an inept Pittonet.

So definitely for mine - serious question marks about selection logic are fair to put on the table as well as game day decision making - injury interrupted season doesn't explain a 60 point SMASHING in the first half.

UNACCEPTABLE - failures in too many areas resulting in an embarrassing capitulation DISGUSTING end to a repeat awful season of injury plagued RUBBISH.

The only good thing to come out of it is that NO ONE can HIDE from the serious FAILS on display in the last game of the season - NO ONE.

/end rant.

IF things weren't working why was Kennedy picked as the best player to bench to bring on TDK?
IF ZORKO was always going to be their playmaker - who was physically capable of shutting him down and why didn't they and if it wasn't Cincotta who was it going to be?

We always new their ruckman was a key to clearances. How could Pittonet be so PATHETIC for SO LONG?

This was always going to be a hard one to win - but it seems to me Voss was happy to play the risk card and roll the dice on players he wanted to perform - and didn't. BUT worse to me was his match day mismatches all over the park but especially ZORKO.

The game showed up what Carlton's achilles heel has been all year=- and that is a dysfunctional forward line made up of blokes who can't stop good opposition walking the ball out at will. Motlop/Durdin/Fantasia/Williams lost the game for Carlton by inept forward fifty defensive efforts. helped along magnificently by an inept Pittonet.

So definitely for mine - serious question marks about selection logic are fair to put on the table as well as game day decision making - injury interrupted season doesn't explain a 60 point SMASHING in the first half.

UNACCEPTABLE - failures in too many areas resulting in an embarrassing capitulation DISGUSTING end to a repeat awful season of injury plagued RUBBISH.

The only good thing to come out of it is that NO ONE can HIDE from the serious FAILS on display in the last game of the season - NO ONE.

/end rant.
These are the three critical errors made last week.

Its bewildering how randoms like us on a footy forum could see some of the selection issues before the game.

Leaving out Cincotta was like wtf are you guys doing - do you have any clue??

Anyway whats done is done i guess in terms of last week and the season.

Now we look at delistings/trades and preseason training and further development of the younglings...and I hope they get a few more opportunities next season.

Prior to the weagles game I honestly thought our vfl players were all well under expectations because they werent getting opportunities..

However after seeing them play at afl level made me realise we have players in there with plenty of promise/upside.

Was he shit in defence every time he played there?

Idk- Michael Walters in gather round comes to mind

i'm sure he has had good games there. but he also has a walsh-like ability to give clumsy FA's inside the defensive 50. been pushed out by cowan/saad, and has some things we must like so he's ahead of the ball. done pretty well there in between quiet games.

/end rant.
They'll try to hide,. don't worry about that...

Sayers' spiel to members by email yesterday just the start of butt covering...

/end rant.
Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

Trading Walsh??????
Yeah if you want to rip the heart out of our club.
Last bloke I would trade.

He bolded Kennedy and Cerra...

Why would Walsh be the last?

TDK, Cripps, Weitering and Charlie are the only untouchables as far as I'm concerned.

Walsh or Harry for the right deal... I'd consider.

I don't buy into the ripping the heart out of the club stuff...

Dogs traded their captain and won a flag 2 years later...

Pies traded Grundy and Treloar... won a flag 2 years later...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back