Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with everything except selection of doc. I’d be so nervous if he was to play.

He’s best bet is to start playing start of next season…better for him.
Maybe…..I was not really giving my preferences. I was predicting. I think they’d have ruled him out for the season by now if that was the case. I just feel like they will say “look what the ****ing difference between this week or next? Play him.”

Line by line:

Back 7 is set and not injury dependent. Weiters Young MCG Cowan Newman Saad and Ollie

Mids 7 almost set and it’s either TDK or Pitto + Cripps Walsh Lord Hewett Acrws Binns

Forward line 8 is where all the variability is. IMO certainties are: CC McKay Kemp Williams Cinc Lij

Last 3 spots (including sub) to come from Motlop Doc Kennedy Fantasia Durdin. Kennedy to be at least a certain sub.

———-
So two to pick from Doc Fantasia Durdin and Motlop. Gut feel is the risk they will take is on Doc which then makes it less likely Durdin or Fantasia get a game due to their recent injuries. Fantasia barely played in rhe last quarter vs Saints. Not a good sign for him. Durdin shoulder hanging together with sticky tape. Super high risk. Doc is just a very good runner and very experienced. Good candidate for a high half forward role to curb their half back run. Can play wing cover too. Temptation will just be too high.

Plus TDk if fit enough else just Pitto.
Reckon Moir would be in the discussion for those last 3 spots too.

I don't believe we can afford to take the risk with Cez and Marto. The risk of them both breaking down is too great and would make it too hard on the rest of the team. Charlie, Gov, Harry, Willo are some great inclusions. I've started to waiver with Doc but I'm still not sure we should play him. Would love him to come in and make an impact but can he? Is is too risky?

We have started to play our way again combined with better ball movement and use. Looks like the inclusion of youth has inspired us. These new guys have held their own. I believe that some if not all of these newer guys should be retained.

If the MC is like all of us, they have an interesting selection week ahead of them, trying to figure out what they believe is the best combo for this match.

The experience for the newer guys would be gold for their development. If they are retained I think we can go into this match, believing they will be ok, as they are surrounded by plenty of experience.

Whatever combo we come up with, I'm sure we're going to go hard and go close. We know we can win there. We match up well with them. The Gabbatoir aura seems to be gone, especially with our diehard fans in attendance. The Lions are gettable.

I don't believe we can afford to take the risk with Cez and Marto. The risk of them both breaking down is too great and would make it too hard on the rest of the team. Charlie, Gov, Harry, Willo are some great inclusions. I've started to waiver with Doc but I'm still not sure we should play him. Would love him to come in and make an impact but can he? Is is too risky?

We have started to play our way again combined with better ball movement and use. Looks like the inclusion of youth has inspired us. These new guys have held their own. I believe that some if not all of these newer guys should be retained.

If the MC is like all of us, they have an interesting selection week ahead of them, trying to figure out what they believe is the best combo for this match.

The experience for the newer guys would be gold for their development. If they are retained I think we can go into this match, believing they will be ok, as they are surrounded by plenty of experience.

Whatever combo we come up with, I'm sure we're going to go hard and go close. We know we can win there. We match up well with them. The Gabbatoir aura seems to be gone, especially with our diehard fans in attendance. The Lions are gettable.
Yeah the doc situation is like a catch 22 unfortunately …could go either way

Agree, if Doch plays, it has to be sub.

And then pray we don’t have our usual first half injury.

Cannot play Cerra, Martin if Doc is sub.

I think it’s crazy Doc may be playing personally just 6 months later, if he does his knee again that’s curtains for career imo. Maybe that’s the way he’s thinking anyway

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe if lots of people say the above . then it becomes conventional wisdom , heaps of people jump on the subject and we have a new whipping boy but Footywire stats show Young's disposal efficiency this season as 75.4% ...Weitering's is 77.6. I concede that disposals includes handballs and Young's disposals by foot don't match Weitering's but he is nowhere near as bad as posters on here claim

My initial feeling on this was, Young chips the ball 15.1 metres sideways most of the time, so of course his efficiency is good.

I went and checked "metres gained" to see how they compare. Weiters averages 30 metres more a game, but he has had a number of corks which have affected him in-game, and then the next week carrying the mattress around.

The disappointing thing looking at that statistic is, we only have 1 defender in the top 97 for total metres gained for 2024 - Newy at 13th. Next is Gov at 98 and then we go down to 155th to Saad.

Given that 7 of the top 10 overall are defenders, the category clearly favours half backs. We are weaker in this area than I would have thought. Houston is 16th FWIW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If TDK was declared fit to play, I assume we would have to play Pitto too anyway for the match up? Do others agree? In that case does it make sense to bring in TDK if Pitto is probably needed anyway? Or can Young or McKay be a good second ruck to TDK instead?

If TDK was declared fit to play, I assume we would have to play Pitto too anyway for the match up? Do others agree? In that case does it make sense to bring in TDK if Pitto is probably needed anyway? Or can Young or McKay be a good second ruck to TDK instead?

If tdk fit no need for pitto. Makes us too slow. Those that helped pitto in last two matches can continue helping tdk this time.

If pitto could mark for starters I’d be tempted to be play him in this situation. Would be very hand helping our defence when oppo driving ball into our defence in full attack mode.

If we need Pitto for any reason, TDK isn't fit to play.

One ruck at a greasy Gabba.

We sent out a one armed Durdin last week.
Yeah I agree that was a head scratcher and most other decisions were forced so let’s see what they come up with for next week

We’re in a precarious situation…just scraped in due to poor form and injuries but thanks to freo we got a life line and the week off now gives us a good opportunity for some key players to return.

If tdk fit no need for pitto. Makes us too slow. Those that helped pitto in last two matches can continue helping tdk this time.

If pitto could mark for starters I’d be tempted to be play him in this situation. Would be very hand helping our defence when oppo driving ball into our defence in full attack mode.
Play both. Don't burn out TDK ( If selected.)

If Martin was to play, I'd rather he be in starting 22. That way, if he breaks down we still have coverage, and if another player (say midfielder) was injuries early on, then would be taking a risk. But just me...

The flip side to that argument is if he breaks down then we lose any flexibility to make a tactical sub not to mention if it happens early then we play on egg shells for the rest of the game hoping nobody else gets injured which will impact our player rotations.

It’s a hard no for me for Martin playing in any capacity on the weekend. Ditto for Cerra. Neither can be trusted to know if their bodies are right IMO. I wouldn’t be shocked if both have played their last games for the club. We can’t carry these blokes anymore.

Personally I wouldn’t play Pitto if TDK is right. The data when they play together is awful. We look our best when TDK rucks and H provides a chop out.

Also now we have Kemp forward we don’t look too small if H rucks. We should also have Young available to chop out in the ruck too.

That all said my guess is Voss will pick Tdk and Pitto because they are unsure if Tom can get through enough of the game due to fitness and we will be run off our feet in transition.

I'd play Martin before I'd play Cerra. Can't trust Cerra to perform. I'm backing Lord to give us more than an underdone Cerra. Even if we got as far as the grand final, I would only play Cerra if there was an injury.

Martin would probably perform, but will his body hold up? Gee if he was able to play he would make a difference.

No hesitation playing TDK, McKay, McGovern and Curnow.
A forward six (with cameos from MK, Crippa and EH):

Moir Harry Martin
Kemp Chuck Mots/Fanta

works for me.... presuming no Durdin due to injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back