Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motlop has been awful the past couple of weeks. He does not chase hard enough, does not work hard enough, and his pace is middling at best. If Durdin is fit, then he doesn't have bung shoulders. I don't rate him right now. In fact, I don't rate any of our small forwards aside from Williams. However, we need to play at least one of Durdin, Motlop or Fantasia for balance.
Yeah fair enough.

I'd still pick motlop ahead of durdin though purely because I know durdin has a risk with the shoulders - only takes an awkward bump and he comes off again like what happened agains rabble.

It then forces us to use up a sub which means we sort of lose our ability to use the sub a bit more strategically.

Doc replaces one of the small forwards when/if they play similar to last week.

I think Doc offers more from the outset. He's a thinking footballer, who can assess situations and cover for others. I think you have him sub because he is coming off an ACL and you don't trust him. I want his leadership.

I think Doc offers more from the outset. He's a thinking footballer, who can assess situations and cover for others. I think you have him sub because he is coming off an ACL and you don't trust him. I want his leadership.
I know Doc lacks match conditioning is the only reason.
But I'm not confident with Mots and Durds form either, and don't think Moirs ready.
Be happy to switch Doc on earlier than the final quarter too.

He hasn’t played footy for 6 months, it’s not that anyone doesn’t trust him.

An ACL is a handicap, body and mentally. I would say severe lack of match fitness or touch in a final is exponentially a much bigger issue and if you lose someone else early it will be like 2 down in the second half

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He hasn’t played footy for 6 months, it’s not that anyone doesn’t trust him.

An ACL is a handicap, body and mentally. I would say severe lack of match fitness or touch in a final is exponentially a much bigger issue and if you lose someone else early it will be like 2 down in the second half

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If they select him, he is fit. If he is fit, he plays. He doesn't offer a lot coming on as sub at 3 quarter time.

Out: Owies (Susp), J Carroll, Motlop, Binns, Fantasia
In: McKay, Curnow, Docherty, Williams, McGovern

Cowan Weitering Newman
McGovern Young Saad
O Hollands Cripps Acres
E Hollands McKay C Durdin
Williams Curnow Kemp
Pittonet Hewett Walsh

Kennedy Lord Docherty Cincotta

Sub: Moir

I'm concerned that we become slower with the outs, but all of the ins are experienced and necessary. If we are to win, it will be because of our pressure and toughness, not because of pace. It is all going to come down to how we set up, and making good choices.

I've surprised myself by keeping Durdin in over Fantasia, but he's quicker, hits hard in his tackles and is better placed to rove off the bigger bodies. Fantasia gets up the ground more to link up and I feel that Doc will fill that role.
Gee Binns is stiff ODN

Gee Binns is stiff ODN

I agree. He competes with Cincotta and Lord for that final spot IMO. I've just opted for the fierce hard bodies. If Doc doesn't come in, he'll probably remain.

While a couple of younger players did reasonably well the last 2 weeks, it was against bottom 6 clubs

Voss (every coach), knows that an 90% fit best 22, is still better than a depth and or developing type

Think we will make 5 changes minimum
I'd argue the four quarter team spirit and hunger for the contest of the the last two weeks was better than anything the best 22 dished up the previous 6 weeks.

The young guys added some energy to a lacklustre and tired looking group. Anyone coming in need to match that energy level for four quarters. I hope Lord, Binns and Moir retain their spots.

I agree. He competes with Cincotta and Lord for that final spot IMO. I've just opted for the fierce hard bodies. If Doc doesn't come in, he'll probably remain.
I want the runners. At the ground vs Saints it was clear we stayed in the game purely because Binns, Walsh, Ollie Acres etc just refused to stop getting up and down the ground to our number. I think it’s the key to our success. Out numbers create contests and that gives us great advantage.

As the game gets closer and closer I think the two things that will re occur to Voss over and over as nightmares from this year:
  • soft tissue subs
  • lack of run (and therefore pressure)

When either or both of those happen we lose. Binns is the second best runner at the club. Lord is now but I expect him to be top 7/8 at the club this summer. Neither has any history of soft tissue injuries. Both try their guts out.

I would really be stunned if both don’t play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah fair enough.

I'd still pick motlop ahead of durdin though purely because I know durdin has a risk with the shoulders - only takes an awkward bump and he comes off again like what happened agains rabble.

It then forces us to use up a sub which means we sort of lose our ability to use the sub a bit more strategically.
You are playing one short with motlop. He's consistently out of position when setting up the defensive grid. At least durdin plugs the holes more consistently. He also gets to contests in time. Unlike motlop, who seems to just get near a contest as the ball leaves the area

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

How’s everyone feeling this game?.

Seems a bit weird to me. I was more keyed up for the Saints game.

This feels like a bit of a free hit/nothing to lose scenario.

Many don’t believe we deserve to be here and very few give us a chance.

Weird weird weird.

Weird weird weird.
I feel that injuries have stolen the year away from Carlton supporters - so I'm totally relaxed about whatever comes from here- good experience under adversity. Woudl love a win against Brisbane of course if that were to happen anything can happen from there.

I'd argue the four quarter team spirit and hunger for the contest of the the last two weeks was better than anything the best 22 dished up the previous 6 weeks.
Our season, like all sides, has had strong and poor patches

The young guys added some energy to a lacklustre and tired looking group.
Possible, they certainly had a dip, which was great, especially when people have bemoaned our development

Anyone coming in need to match that energy level for four quarters. I hope Lord, Binns and Moir retain their spots.

I hope we pick the best side to win, no matter who is named

Weird weird weird.
Actually starting to feel a bit more positive. The vibe that I am getting right now is that we should see six changes.

Tom is going to play and he will be too athletic for Big O, this will shape the game. Hope it happens.

Doc is going to play and he will be very good. We all know he is heart and soul and he has done everything in his power to

make this game. Reckon he probably starts as sub though.

Young Binns and Lord should be retained. They are made of the right stuff and will provide energy and exuberance.

We just love being the hunters, no real pressure to win. We just go out there and play with intent. They are not boys anymore, they are men and they will be willing to give everything they have got.

Go Blues!

Voss on 360

ALL the boys have got through session today which was match simulation 😳

McGovern Charlie Harry Williams will likely play as haven’t missed much

Others will need more thinking before we make a decison.

Last 2 weeks were very good. Issue all year has been consistency

Selection will be balance of last 2 weeks plus tried and true performers

No answer on Docherty yet. First question is for medical and high performance. Hinted decision tomorrow

There will be risk in our selections and how many changes is too many

They showed a stat of us losing 6 of past 8 games 😳
Reckon I’ll back Voss in, easy to pass judgement from a lounge chair:thumbsu:

Weird weird weird.
Interstate final. We're 0-8 in these over the last 28 years... so it feels like a free hit to me.

I am loving being here, but I don't feel like we are going to progress: either we'll bring in all the quality we need (and lose cohesion, run and/or "touch"), or we'll prioritise fitness and continuity (and be found wanting for top-end talent as the game wears on). I feel like we've run out of time, with all the players we'd like to bring back in.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to Saturday evening, and the experience for whichever of our younger players do make the 23.

I'm also pleased with the scheduling: even if the worst happens, we won't be the first side bounced out of the finals, thanks to the Friday evening Elimination Final :thumbsu:

Interstate final. We're 0-8 in these over the last 28 years... so it feels like a free hit to me.

I am loving being here, but I don't feel like we are going to progress: either we'll bring in all the quality we need (and lose cohesion, run and/or "touch"), or we'll prioritise fitness and continuity (and be found wanting for top-end talent as the game wears on). I feel like we've run out of time, with all the players we'd like to bring back in.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to Saturday evening, and the experience for whichever of our younger players do make the 23.

I'm also pleased with the scheduling: even if the worst happens, we won't be the first side bounced out of the finals, thanks to the Friday evening Elimination Final :thumbsu:
We’ll win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back