Game Day Around the Grounds - Week 1 - Elimination & Qualifying Finals 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that Scott didn't rush back or risk Guthrie, Hawkins, Rohan, DeKoning who were all available and will play Reserves this weekend. Also, didn't risk Stewart. 5 very good players who are likely best 22

Hard to tell how bad Port were last night but I thought Geelongs energy and workrate all over the ground was a big statement

North would have put up a better performance. Port were putrid. Cats missed more than 10 set shots most of which weren't difficult. Should have been over 100 Points. That is the kind of loss that breaks a team. Straight sets for Port-Again.
Agree. However that’s why you play the season and get the double chance. Chance for redemption next week. We did it in similar circumstances in 1999.

Im not sure i subscribe to this theory in regards to the interstate clubs.

Im not great at maths but off the top of my head the interstate clubs get to play 12-13 home games (games at their home ground) a season, where we get to play about 17.
But when they play an opponent at their home venue, they get the benefit of a genuine home advantage: hostile crowds, different dimensions, local ground knowledge. When we play - for example - Collingwood at the G or St Kilda at Marvel, we do so with the ground being a nil-all draw as all clubs involved have these benefits. We and Collingwood can safely say that our crowds neutralise each other; can you say the same when we play WC in Perth?

We only have the games against an interstate opponent in which we possess a genuine HG advantage.
The interstate teams play away from their home ground every second week, sometimes we play 5-7 home games in a row.
This is true, but here's the problem in a nutshell: the AFL isn't measured by rest time or consecutive home games in a row. The AFL is measured by wins, and by playing at home with a genuine HGA interstate sides - regardless of travel - become threats to make finals based on what I'm going to call 'bankable' wins.

When you play a side at your level away, that's a win for them. When you play a side above you away, that's a win for them. Play both teams with a genuine HGA, and both results can turn into wins. If making finals is conditional on winning 13 games - as it is most seasons - then banking 9 wins by playing at home means you're thereabouts most years; win a few away, and you're top 4 easy.
I mostly agree in regards to Geelong but i hate when people complain about them having a home ground advantage because we used to have a home ground advantage, but we chose to give it up and we choose to not revisit it due to $$$$
The idea that we never should've left PP is not at all what I'm saying. To say that Geelong have the benefits of being a Victorian side whilst retaining genuine HGA via Kardinia is to be point blank honest. They've made finals for most of the last decade despite arguably being just okay for most of that time purely by dint of banking wins at home and greater ground experience at the G than interstate sides.

I'd kill for their record, but their circumstances provide some of it for them. Couple a unique situation that sees them retain a HGA whilst also playing half their games at the G with the best development setup in the comp and a retirement package that cannot be matched, and you've got a recipe to print success.

Interesting that Scott didn't rush back or risk Guthrie, Hawkins, Rohan, DeKoning who were all available and will play Reserves this weekend. Also, didn't risk Stewart. 5 very good players who are likely best 22

Hard to tell how bad Port were last night but I thought Geelongs energy and workrate all over the ground was a big statement
Also playing with a double chance.

That affords Scott room for choice.

... but, they have the luxury of a double chance.
Top 4 hey!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More about fitness than experience. It's obvious Scott picked FIT players over names last night. Also, his players have been given more chances/opportunities during year to be able to step in and be ready

So much for the "next man up" theory
Scott picks players he trusts. Mitch Hardie has been dominating in the VFL for them this year, but hasn’t played a game, despite all their midfield injuries this year. Because he’s only been at an AFL club for 18 months, and he wants to make sure he develops at his own pace. It doesn’t mean he has an agenda or any other egregious motive towards him.

It took Ollie Dempsey 3 years to break into the best 22, and he’s now thriving. Cats do this better than just about any other team. They trust their people and their players to grow and become high quality

Scott picks players he trusts. Mitch Hardie has been dominating in the VFL for them this year, but hasn’t played a game, despite all their midfield injuries this year. Because he’s only been at an AFL club for 18 months, and he wants to make sure he develops at his own pace. It doesn’t mean he has an agenda or any other egregious motive towards him.

It took Ollie Dempsey 3 years to break into the best 22, and he’s now thriving. Cats do this better than just about any other team. They trust their people and their players to grow and become high quality

Exactly. Credit where it's due

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Around the Grounds - Week 1 - Elimination & Qualifying Finals 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back