Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 16 - 20

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s worth remembering that Collingwood lost 3 out of 4 games from late July last year.

I also think some of our 2023 challenges came from needing to peak too early just to make the finals.

It’s possible sides like the Dogs, the Hawks, and even the Lions, have had to tweak things early because they were coming from a way back. If they’re peaking, while sides like us and the Swans are tapering because we had earlier wins on the board, then things can look deceptively good for them and bad for us. Perhaps they’ve gone too early like us last year (out of necessity)? And perhaps we have fuel in the tank (like Collingwood last year)? We’ll see.
Having fuel in the tank is ok if you’ve already sown up a top two spot … not so much if the form slump leads to a spiral to the lower part of the eight or worse …

Brisbane getting a Hodge and Hawks have your Breusts and Gunstons, but also a coach who was a big part of that club, captain and 4 time premiership player and gets its fabric.

For us finally it seemed last year and first half this year our culture was turning..... but with things like some of our leaders; Curnow being lazy/selfish a lot this year, Weiters is showing frustration more and more towards his fellow defenders, MC dropping in form and chopping and changing players to bring in "preferred" players or get some layers or whatever going which I think has been a big factor in our mindset of the team at the moment.

We need to scout and find a good senior assistant coach next season that is great tactically and good with culture, even in a consulting role. We have some once in generation players and 2-3 seasons at most to get a flag else we'll be in the wilderness for another who knows how many years.
If you think Brian Cook’s goal is to get one flag, then 3 years later, fade into the wilderness, then you’ve got another thing coming

Funny how I looked at the ladder and we're higher than the Hawks, the position on the ladder actually means something?
Where were you when Hawks lost the first 5 or so games?

It is a long season of ups and downs. Sydney have lost a number of games and they would still be very hard to beat in the finals.

I could be wrong in assuming the poster is criticising our club picking the wrong coach twice in a row, which is fair, Mitchell seems like a good coach.

Having fuel in the tank is ok if you’ve already sown up a top two spot … not so much if the form slump leads to a spiral to the lower part of the eight or worse …
True. Although as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, top 2 has become a fan ambition as the year has progressed and as it has become clear on the number of interstate sides to make the eight (and possibly the upper echelons of the eight). The club talked top four coming into the season.

Of course not, i do however feel we are a year or even two behind where we should be, due to picking the wrong coaches in the past
It’s a strange one….we haven’t really been able to attract too many good coaches.

I think it was between Voss and Ross last time. Not saying either of these were bad options but it would have been nice to have a few others to choose from as well.

When Bolton got the job I think it was between him and barker ? Were there others?

It’s a strange one….we haven’t really been able to attract too many good coaches.

I think it was between Voss and Ross last time. Not saying either of these were bad options but it would have been nice to have a few others to choose from as well.

When Bolton got the job I think it was between him and barker ? Were there others?

I am somewhat disappointed in the club or i was in regards to our last coaching search, i thought we were soft.

Our club conducted a thorough search, hired a big panel, included Big Ange, I’m not sure if Dunstall sat on it and elected Bolts, dont quote me on the Dunstall bit, but i do remember it being a solid process. The rest is history.

When we removed Bolts, we didn’t do a search, the playing group and the fans got the warm fuzzies after a few wins and elected a coach who quickly was found out to be lacking in a lot of areas.

Then we arrive at the last search and the club made several comments about not hiring a rookie coach, to me, this is telling the world that we made two mistakes last time and we a petrified of making another, so we will go with a experienced coach, ruling out 3/4 of all coaching candidates.

I just wish we had run a real process after Bolts and i wish we had the guts to run another process after Teague, if Voss was the best candidate, great, if it was a rookie, so be it.

If you think Brian Cook’s goal is to get one flag, then 3 years later, fade into the wilderness, then you’ve got another thing coming
Brian Cook will only be with us for 2 more years and think will not extend beyond that. The next incumbant may end up being a bit of a dud for all we know.

With Cook his third year and this year finally seems our injury curse is actually being realised and being looked at deeper (comments he made during the last Collingwood game - a mixture of players bodies and program).

Brian Cook will only be with us for 2 more years and think will not extend beyond that. The next incumbant may end up being a bit of a dud for all we know.

With Cook his third year and this year finally seems our injury curse is actually being realised and being looked at deeper (comments he made during the last Collingwood game - a mixture of players bodies and program).
Part of his job is that he wants set us up for continual success, not just a sugar hit. This has always been a long term plan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot of talk that Cook wants to continue for a lot longer. Loves the job and sees a lot of work to be done yet. He's also very energetic

I hope so, I have met him, and seen him around the club and he is one very impressive man. Has taken us to a new level off field which I don't believe we have really seen the full benefits of yet

IMO we are such a better club than we were 3-5 years ago (by along way) and will only get better with Cook & Sayers in charge as there is still a lot to do and improve. These things just take time

Lot of talk that Cook wants to continue for a lot longer. Loves the job and sees a lot of work to be done yet. He's also very energetic

I hope so, I have met him, and seen him around the club and he is one very impressive man. Has taken us to a new level off field which I don't believe we have really seen the full benefits of yet
Obviously would be great if he continues, but he'll be 70 next year and things and family situations change sometimes quite rapidly that he may be content to enjoy his later years.

Obviously would be great if he continues, but he'll be 70 next year and things and family situations change sometimes quite rapidly that he may be content to enjoy his later years.

Very hypothetical. 68 and very fit and healthy. His partner has moved to near club to be with him. He just loves what he does, sees a great challenge to make us a genuine powerhouse again, and will do it for as long as he can is my take. Time will tell

GTnOL31a8AAAZON

Letting top 2 slip from our position is going to haunt me. Sigh.
Should be worrying more about the way we’re playing than our ladder position. We could still finish 2nd, but if we aren’t in much better form than we are now, we aren’t going very far

Very hypothetical. 68 and very fit and healthy. His partner has moved to near club to be with him. He just loves what he does, sees a great challenge to make us a genuine powerhouse again, and will do it for as long as he can is my take. Time will tell
Awesome news Soapy V, if it eventuates. I would love for Cookie to remain for several more years while focused on the club and his role but also on finding someone who will not just take over his role but exponentially enhance it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 16 - 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back