Player Watch 2024 Father-Son player watch - Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is if father sons live in QLD & NSW, are there elite pathways to the afl outside of the academies? I don’t see the rules on FS changing until this issue is resolved.
Agreed.

This is another issue.

AFL tried to get NSW/ACT and Qld teams playing in the TAC/NAB/Coates League but it’s just not feasible given the travel, etc.

So kids in those states don’t get the benefit of playing regular elite pathway footy that particularly Victorian kids have.

There are still 10 AFL clubs in Victoria and 12 Coates League programs. Then you throw in elite school AFL footy, all these private coaches, there’s mass saturation down here

The kids in NSW/Qld are so far behind in that regard.

So the AFL links those elite kids in NSW / Qld to the 4 clubs direct and that’s the most practical way to:

1. Develop a kid to play AFL in a growing market; and

2. Generate more interest in AFL from the families/friends/ community.

Home grown talent - linked to the club from an early age - the performing at the top level is the best selling point for the game as in NSW/Qld.

It generates more grass roots participation.

Which we don’t have a problem with in Vic/SA/WA

Agreed.

This is another issue.

AFL tried to get NSW/ACT and Qld teams playing in the TAC/NAB/Coates League but it’s just not feasible given the travel, etc.

So kids in those states don’t get the benefit of playing regular elite pathway footy that particularly Victorian kids have.

There are still 10 AFL clubs in Victoria and 12 Coates League programs. Then you throw in elite school AFL footy, all these private coaches, there’s mass saturation down here

The kids in NSW/Qld are so far behind in that regard.

So the AFL links those elite kids in NSW / Qld to the 4 clubs direct and that’s the most practical way to:

1. Develop a kid to play AFL in a growing market; and

2. Generate more interest in AFL from the families/friends/ community.

Home grown talent - linked to the club from an early age - the performing at the top level is the best selling point for the game as in NSW/Qld.

It generates more grass roots participation.

Which we don’t have a problem with in Vic/SA/WA
Spot on. The only solution I see working is the afl managing the academies and so all clubs share in the fruits of the game growing in the northern states. I wouldn’t be against some preferential treatment for GC and GWS (as they don’t benefit from FS), but it can’t be to the extent that it is now and certainly shouldn’t benefit Brisbane and Sydney who are established clubs.

With Buddy living on the GC it may come to the Hawthorn and Sydney miss out of his kids.

Will be in the GC Academy probably.
Angry Throws Glass GIF by Strapped Entertainment

Well documented Hodges kid wants to stay in qld

I don’t think I was even talking about Hodge’s kid? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also “well documented”? What, like a peer-reviewed study or something? Or maybe it’s in his autobiography? 😂

One of the great thing about minds is that people - especially children - can just, you know, change them. When I was 15 I thought I was 100% gonna be a vet or a marine biologist, you can guess how that turned out …

Anyway, I wasn’t even saying any of these kids will or won’t come, just that it makes more sense to wait and see rather than leaping to doomsday scenarios 🤷🏼‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so he can't nominate is MSD, or he's deciding to by-pass that?

Does not automatically qualify for this MSD as he did not nominate in 2023. There’s no F/S on the MSD.

He could make a request for special considering to nominate for the 2024 MSD.

I feel Ned will be a slow burn, I do wonder if he could play defence in the future like his dad did.

No point rushing. Lets see how he develops if he is developing well we can take him at the end of year F/S if he nominates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back