List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think mids we are reasonably covered, with the assumption that Levi is coming, and its generally easier to get mid-late draft mids that can fill a role and develop.

But we already had a slight weakness in tall backs (Doedee helps) and now we have a definite shortage in tall forwards. Going to need to balance this out somehow (draft or trade)

with gunston and fullarton out do we look at ashton moir with our first pick?

had a lot of hype coming into his draft year but seems to have put together a poor season. talent should still be there. not quite kpp size but seems like a fritsch / gunston type from what ive seen
First sentence is a bit confusing, Moir is a medium forward, not big enough to be a KPF. Moir might be worth a shot although West Coast have been linked to him too.

Our first draft pick is already at pick 30 after trades/FA compo, and while there are 3 gold coast picks in the 20s that will evaporate in bids (assuming they don't live trade them on the night) seems more likely that we are picking closer to 40 than 30.

Not sure that we can go in having to pick a key forward/tall, have to pick best available player at that point. Use one of the later picks on a mature state league player and consider Buzza as an SSP pick up if we are still concerned.

Last edited:
Our first draft pick is already at pick 30 after trades/FA compo, and while there are 3 gold coast picks in the 20s that will evaporate in bids (assuming they don't live trade them on the night) seems more likely that we are picking closer to 40 than 30.

Not sure that we can go in having to pick a key forward/tall, have to pick best available player at that point. Use one of the later picks on a mature state league player and consider Buzza as an SSP pick up if we are still concerned.
Would be great to pluck a Mitch Lewis KPF somewhere in the draft; he went in the 70-80’s I think but probably require them to come on earlier

lets be realistic, the point discount to match both father sons and academy selections is stupid. wouldn't be surprised if they just revise how much later picks are worth in terms of points and remove matched bid discounting

Yep, surely they don’t do much else even if they change the rules effective immediately (which is rough). The entire league is too married to the romanticism of F/S, the discounts are stupid and removing them would be the easiest way to placate the mob.

The real issue is the bloody compensation picks, absolutely out of hand

Yep, surely they don’t do much else even if they change the rules effective immediately (which is rough). The entire league is too married to the romanticism of F/S, the discounts are stupid and removing them would be the easiest way to placate the mob.

The real issue is the bloody compensation picks, absolutely out of hand
I reckon the access the northern clubs get to their academy players will be reviewed, given the outcry there will undoubtedly be on draft night when Gold Coast scoops the pool with their academy haul.

I reckon the access the northern clubs get to their academy players will be reviewed, given the outcry there will undoubtedly be on draft night when Gold Coast scoops the pool with their academy haul.
I’m not so sure.

I think the draft value index may change.

And there has already been talk about teams needing to maintain a pick, and use it, in the round where a potential bid might come in.

That will make it harder and costly to match high end talent. Potentially wipe out two drafts for one kid. And make it harder to match kids in successive drafts.

It will also help stem the dilution of the draft pool, by stopping team’s trading for high picks, and pushing mid to later picks back significantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not so sure.

And there has already been talk about teams needing to maintain a pick, and use it, in the round where a potential bid might come in.

That will make it harder and costly to match high end talent. Potentially wipe out two drafts for one kid. And make it harder to match kids in successive drafts.

It will also help stem the dilution of the draft pool, by stopping team’s trading for high picks, and pushing mid to later picks back significantly.
Within the same round wont work - ie what pick would you need for someone who gets bid at the end of a round like pick 17?

I reckon it'll end up being you need a pick within a number of picks. Like within 10-15 picks. Then you can look to keep shuffling picks back if they don't get bid on

I’m not so sure.

And then a year later there'll be massive cry around trade action completely gone due to clubs unable to trade first rounders and AFL will do the yo-yo adjustment one more time.

Within the same round wont work - ie what pick would you need for someone who gets bid at the end of a round like pick 17?

I reckon it'll end up being you need a pick within a number of picks. Like within 10-15 picks. Then you can look to keep shuffling picks back if they don't get bid on
And you might have pick 3 and two top of the range F/s academy types so you trade out pick three for picks 17 and 18 ...

So, the way it is now, if you have a top FS/Academy prospect - you trade your good pick for more lesser picks. To clubs that don't have a FS/Academy that year.

Everyone gets a crack at the top talent. Leave it alone. It works.

So, the way it is now, if you have a top FS/Academy prospect - you trade your good pick for more lesser picks. To clubs that don't have a FS/Academy that year.

Everyone gets a crack at the top talent. Leave it alone. It works.
The bigger issue is with the compo picks.

Look at West Coast.

They don’t really have any players to trade for decent picks, without absolutely gutting their list, and putting them even further behind.

So they are left to rebuild generically through the draft.

So they have the first pick of rounds 1, 2 & 3.

That should be picks 1, 19, & 37.

Instead, they have pick 1, 23 & 44 (which they just traded for Brockman).

Going to be a very long rebuild for WC if they can’t bring in any quality free agents in the next couple of trade periods.

Going to be a very long rebuild for WC if they can’t bring in any quality free agents in the next couple of trade periods.
...and they are not exactly screaming 'destination club' atm ... case in point one Dev Robertson

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back