List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway having never seen elite private schools playing one another no less a derby I was generally stunned by how big the crowd was. Also noticed because we parked near them all these Rookie Me vans which I have no clue who they are.
Rookie Me run the preseason CTL athletic testing, as well as the AFL Draft Combine. The also run aussie rules coaching programs. And they bought AFL Draft Central (a draft media organisation) and are expanding in to media coverage of multiple other local sports.

Basically they provide the largest draft coverage of prospects nation wide.

Basically they provide the largest draft coverage of prospects nation wide.
Huh, had seen a fair bit of their draft/under-age player coverage but didn't realise they were so involved in the footy community. Good summary of what they do.

think you will see a 2008 (2026 draft) name jump out of the ground at the upcoming national carnival - Hamish McPherson. He is a serious talent, and has the swagger (not arrogance) to match. The kid can really play.

Another one to take note of is a kid called Caelan Murray, plays a bit like Dylan Patterson. He is very classy and has very draftable attributes.

Ironically, both Levi and Thomson will be missing for the Lions team at the National Carnival, which is bemusing to say the least.

Called it early :cool:

Do they come from the Owens and Murray League?
Well Done Thank You GIF by Spotify

I will be doing some other postings between now and the draft (unless no one is interested). And I will be focusing on Academy and late draft/rookie candidates, as I think they will be where our drafting will concentrate if we are successful in gaining enough points for Ashcroft and Marshall (as the majority believe we intend).

First candidate ....... James Barrat - Bendigo Pioneers (Def) 193.

Some video nearly ready to post (maybe later today).
For anyone interested, he is about to make his VFL debut with Essendon (#67) ..... not sure if they are going to play him forward or back (can play both ends) .... I am interested as a defender.

He has not appeared on many (if any) of the "amateur" draft boards on Big Footy (but I am sure he would be on some Recruiter's Charts), so seeing as possibly being in our expected selection range.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Barrat.
What I know (or think I know - any corrections welcomed):
  • Bendigo Pioneers (#42)
  • H 193
  • Not 18 until late November
  • played 3 Champs games with Vic Ctry (1 as a Fwd, 2 as a Def) (#28)
  • appears to have only started playing as a Def in his 2nd Champs game (or this year at least)
  • Been playing Country Seniors since age 14

What I've seen from him as a Defender:
  • Physical / Courageous / Aggressive
  • Strong Intercept marking
  • Good distribution
  • Not panicked

First took my notice in the last Champs game against Vic Metro:

I then sought some vision from the Coates Talent League.

CTL Round 12

CTL Round 11

If he continues on his current trajectory I'd be surprised if he became available to the Lions. But if he was, I'd see him as someone to develop for the Ryan Lester 3rd tall def role (for whenever Ryan decides his time is up).

If he continues on his current trajectory I'd be surprised if he became available to the Lions. But if he was, I'd see him as someone to develop for the Ryan Lester 3rd tall def role (for whenever Ryan decides his time is up).
Maybe Ryan Gilder gets groomed for that role if we don't get Barrat or a similar player.

You ever want to see a contrast of how the Lions and Suns prioritise player development through their academies, that game on the weekend is perfect.

The Lions played 19 year old Billy Richardson and 18 year old Tom Gillet. Both fresh off Allies campaigns and playing Senior QAFL footy for the 2nd year running.

The Lions team includes the likes of unlisted players like Abberley, Dunkley, McPherson, Manly, Derksen and Thomas - all mature age top ups, some of them parachuted in from interstate.

The Suns team, who defeated the Lions comfortably had Uwland, Murray, Addinsall and Patterson - all 16/17 year old 2025 draft prospects. Cooper Collins has also played VFL football this year and also a 17 year old.

They also had top ager 2024 draft prospects like Lombard (who played regularly as a bottom ager as well) and Beikoff-Smart and 2 x 18 year olds in Evans and Gray (but they are late birthdates and were 2023 undrafted)

As an example, Dan Annable who recently played as a bottom ager for the Allies and would have been close to AA selection didn't play football at all on the weekend as his club team had a bye. Same goes for Raph Geesu. Also not playing due to a bye are the likes of Jake Fazldeen who had a poor academy campaign, but is a serious talent.

The Lions academy is being left for dead by the Suns in their development of the top of the line talent. Seem moren focused on winning academy games with a team that is 30% over agers.

They also had top ager 2024 draft prospects like Lombard (who played regularly as a bottom ager as well) and Beikoff-Smart and 2 x 18 year olds in Evans and Gray (but they are late birthdates and were 2023 undrafted)

Don't disagree with your overall point (I don't know enough about how the academies work to do so), but Billy Richardson also fits into this category of undrafted current 18 year olds with late birthdays.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back