List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Gillett is ruled out, are we more likely to draft Gilder, Gallop or McFadyen?
I really like Gilder and Gallop, know nothing of or seen any footage of McFadyen.

If forced to choose I would probably go Ryan Gilder just over Ty Gallop, there must be some sort of knock on Gallop that I am not aware of though because no phantom drafters rate him at all.

For what it's worth, from inside the club:

They rate Marshall so will do the work needed to get him

Whomever the tall bloke is that ppl have been talking about from the academy they do NOT rate. No aggression was the line used. Seems we have learnt from Schache and Fullarton? You just can't teach aggression i reckon!
You need aggression in the pillar positions. If you don't may as well be playing one man down. Schache was a disgrace and was known early on by some on here. It's crazy that anyone over 2m can stay in the game as long as they can. If Schache was 180cm he wouldn't get drafted.

You need aggression in the pillar positions. If you don't may as well be playing one man down. Schache was a disgrace and was known early on by some on here. It's crazy that anyone over 2m can stay in the game as long as they can. If Schache was 180cm he wouldn't get drafted.

Get over it. 3 clubs saw enough to give him a go. Might not have worked, but he gave it his best.

Get over it. 3 clubs saw enough to give him a go. Might not have worked, but he gave it his best.
I get the point on Schache.He was just lacked the aggression to make the impact he was physically equipped to do. I certainly hope the Club gives the likes of Gallop or Gilder or Richardson the opportunity if possible. They have performed very well in the Academy and Allies teams. Comparable to Southern kids getting big wraps. There is no point having an Academy if we don't prioritise it as a developent and selection pathway.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really like Gilder and Gallop, know nothing of or seen any footage of McFadyen.

If forced to choose I would probably go Ryan Gilder just over Ty Gallop, there must be some sort of knock on Gallop that I am not aware of though because no phantom drafters rate him at all.

They are both strong prospects in my opinion, and criminally underrated by their own academy and southern recruiters. Fct that Lions have not played either of them in their VFL team is disgraceful, yet the Suns are out there with 6 x 17 year olds tearing it up.

Gallop is a big strong powerful forward and a nice kick for goal. My personal knock on him would be that he doesn't work up the ground enough and in the modern game, he is a bit undersized if he wants to sit deep. He needs to either grow 2 inches to be a true KPP or he needs to start covering way more territory. In terms of raw aggression and competitiveness, he is as good as anyone. Would love to see him play at VFL level against a big defender and see if his body work holds up.

Gilder is more of an enigma. He has elite athletic traits when it comes to speed & power and haven't seen his vertical published anywhere, but he looks to have spring loaded feet! His workrate is solid coming out of the back half and from what I have seen, they have tried him in the middle at both academy level and in club land, but his decision making is slow and he is merely an adequate kick. He breaks the lines, takes the game on, but can be guilty of a poor turnover even on an unpressured kick. His closing speed, defensive efforts, two way running and competitiveness are all elite. The Lions couldn't teach Jack Crisp to kick and let him go to Collingwood, obviously they don't feel they can teach this kid to kick either.

Would love them both at the Sainters!

They are both strong prospects in my opinion, and criminally underrated by their own academy and southern recruiters. Fct that Lions have not played either of them in their VFL team is disgraceful, yet the Suns are out there with 6 x 17 year olds tearing it up.

Gallop is a big strong powerful forward and a nice kick for goal. My personal knock on him would be that he doesn't work up the ground enough and in the modern game, he is a bit undersized if he wants to sit deep. He needs to either grow 2 inches to be a true KPP or he needs to start covering way more territory. In terms of raw aggression and competitiveness, he is as good as anyone. Would love to see him play at VFL level against a big defender and see if his body work holds up.

Gilder is more of an enigma. He has elite athletic traits when it comes to speed & power and haven't seen his vertical published anywhere, but he looks to have spring loaded feet! His workrate is solid coming out of the back half and from what I have seen, they have tried him in the middle at both academy level and in club land, but his decision making is slow and he is merely an adequate kick. He breaks the lines, takes the game on, but can be guilty of a poor turnover even on an unpressured kick. His closing speed, defensive efforts, two way running and competitiveness are all elite. The Lions couldn't teach Jack Crisp to kick and let him go to Collingwood, obviously they don't feel they can teach this kid to kick either.

Are you saying we are hiding them because we are struggling for points this year with the number of rorts we have on our radar and hoping they slide massively? Huge if true

I love the bolded in a key forward, very hard to teach IMO, you either have it or you don't eg. Schache. Aggression and competitiveness is a fantastic starting point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No access to article, but that kid is playing in a Colts Preliminary Final on Saturday if you want a look at him. I've only seen him play twice and he is a prodigious talent, but all still very raw. He kicks the ball 65m effortlessly, have never understood people that have cannons in their feet like that, their timing must be exquisite.

A teenage talent from Yuendumu, who has been called the next Charlie Cameron, is making real waves in the Brisbane Lions Academy since moving to Queensland.
The Territorian, who is one of five siblings, hails from the community located northwest of Alice Springs.

He later moved to Cairns where he was based at the AFL Cape York House, before the Lions Legacy program reached out and gave him an opportunity to push further into the sporting industry.

Ross accepted the opportunity and now attends Marist College Ashgrove as a boarder and is part of the Lions Academy, where he benefits from funds earned in initiatives like the Lions Legacy round.

He said his grandmother had been his rock and greatest support growing up.

“My grandmother brought me up with love and care,” he said in a Brisbane Lions video.

“I just look up to her when I’m with her and not with her, she didn’t want me to be around bad people and she wanted me to (go to) school somewhere good.

“I’m loving it, it’s a really big change for me to come into Brisbane and train with the Academy and also get around all the AFL players.

“Being a part of the academy has made me become a strong person and got me one step closer to my dream.”

Ross’ talents have already been applauded by his coaches and those who have seen him play, with long kicks to goal a typical occurrence from the youngster.

Brisbane Lions player welfare manager Anthony Corrie said he realised Ross was a talent when he watched him kick like fellow Territorian Keidean Coleman.

“The first time I saw Troydon kick the footy was at training with some of the boys and I saw he could kick the ball like Kiddy Coleman,” Corrie said.

“That’s one of the exciting things about him, he’s a natural AFL player but it’s about giving him that exposure to the AFL level to get better.

The benefit of having
the Lions Legacy help provide that support will allow him to grow, learn the training requirements, what the gym stuff is and get him to eat well.”

The Lions play Essendon in the Lions Legacy round this weekend, which supports the Brisbane Lions Academy and the broader community.

By investing in the Academy and its participants, the club aims to improve the lives of those playing and working within the system.

No access to article, but that kid is playing in a Colts Preliminary Final on Saturday if you want a look at him. I've only seen him play twice and he is a prodigious talent, but all still very raw. He kicks the ball 65m effortlessly, have never understood people that have cannons in their feet like that, their timing must be exquisite.
Sounds like a great story, hopefully the young man realises his dreams

Not sure he would qualify for the Lions Academy concessions come draft time (assume that is next year) given he only recently joined the program.

Sounds like a great story, hopefully the young man realises his dreams

Not sure he would qualify for the Lions Academy concessions come draft time (assume that is next year) given he only recently joined the program.

Yep, he qualifies.

Good on Troydon and well done Lions for organising such a wonderful opportunity for the young lad. Troydon seems like a really affable and level headed young man and here’s hoping he can develop into into an AFL player like his role models. Proud of the club too that we have the people and resources to nurture such boys.

Can only imagine what Id have been like when I was year 11 meeting and training with the Lions; probably nowhere near as composed as Troydon lol

A Cameron replacement in the pipeline too? Oof cool. Now if we can get Oscar Allan to replace Joe, we are set for another 5-10 years of contention.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back