List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

We do like our late round WA boys, so I wonder if Boxshall would interest us. Of course, we don't need another midfielder but it sounds like he could play as a defender too.
Davis and Boxshall from WA are the two players I think are underrated on Bigfooty. They both have great tanks and the ability to play more than just midfield. Urquhart is another that if he played in Victoria may be considered high by a number of posters.

Davis and Boxshall from WA are the two players I think are underrated on Bigfooty. They both have great tanks and the ability to play more than just midfield. Urquhart is another that if he played in Victoria may be considered high by a number of posters.
If we have the list spots I can see another WA special then, to go with Torrent, ZZ and Tunstill.

Curious to find out if anyone has some insight on this. I know much has been made of one Brisbane F/S prospect (L.Ashcroft) this year, but there's another one down the road named Joe Kennedy (Maxy's son) who is draft eligible this year. He's been playing in the QAFL seniors for Surfers Paradise and played for the Suns in the NAB League this year but didn't make the Allies team. My understanding is he's a medium forward around the 188cm range and is obviously F/S eligible for the Lions as well as academy eligible for the Suns.

Does anyone know if there's any interest in recruiting him from the Lions? I haven't seen anything that suggests the Suns are interested.

Curious to find out if anyone has some insight on this. I know much has been made of one Brisbane F/S prospect (L.Ashcroft) this year, but there's another one down the road named Joe Kennedy (Maxy's son) who is draft eligible this year. He's been playing in the QAFL seniors for Surfers Paradise and played for the Suns in the NAB League this year but didn't make the Allies team. My understanding is he's a medium forward around the 188cm range and is obviously F/S eligible for the Lions as well as academy eligible for the Suns.

Does anyone know if there's any interest in recruiting him from the Lions? I haven't seen anything that suggests the Suns are interested.
I've heard absolutely no buzz about him. I figure if we don't invite a prospect to play in our VFL team, we have no interest.

We won't have points to get him in case there is interest out there. We'll be busy trying to fit Ashcroft and Marshall in. If anything, a late pick from us could be project cases like Tom Gillett (ruck who has questions on his level of aggression) or Ty Gallop (big lump of a forward who may need year in 2s).

We won't have points to get him in case there is interest out there. We'll be busy trying to fit Ashcroft and Marshall in. If anything, a late pick from us could be project cases like Tom Gillett (ruck who has questions on his level of aggression) or Ty Gallop (big lump of a forward who may need year in 2s).
I don't believe any of our academy kids, apart from Marshall, will cost us points, just a list spot.

I haven't looked at the current state of our list, so I don't know if we are even in the position to add any other of our academy kids.

I was thinking Kennedy was possibly a rookie selection (at best) so I don't think points would really come into play, but I see what you're saying. You're committed to Ashcroft + Marshall this year and if anyone else is going to get a look in then it's going to be a player like Gillett. List spots are at a premium when you're the premiers and you can't really afford to waste picks.

Just on Marshall, do you guys think the AFL will continue to allow Queensland/New South Wales draft prospects to board at Victorian schools and the associated northern club retains their academy bidding rights? It looks like Marshall is a Sunshine Coast product from Kawana who accepted a scholarship to board at Melbourne Grammar at the age of 15 in 2022 and subsequently joined the Sandringham Dragons for his club footy. My club did this as well with Caleb Nancarrow when he moved from Cairns at the age of 14 to board at Scotch College and continued to retain his place in our academy.

My understanding is that a boarder technically retains the physical address as their parents while they're interstate. So as long as the parent/s don't move with the junior, the northern academy will fulfil the residence criteria and retain drafting rights. I think it's great for the development of these juniors from the northern states, but I get the feeling people down south will eventually make the argument that it's a loophole that should be closed. What do you guys think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking Kennedy was possibly a rookie selection (at best) so I don't think points would really come into play, but I see what you're saying. You're committed to Ashcroft + Marshall this year and if anyone else is going to get a look in then it's going to be a player like Gillett. List spots are at a premium when you're the premiers and you can't really afford to waste picks.

Just on Marshall, do you guys think the AFL will continue to allow Queensland/New South Wales draft prospects to board at Victorian schools and the associated northern club retains their academy bidding rights? It looks like Marshall is a Sunshine Coast product from Kawana who accepted a scholarship to board at Melbourne Grammar at the age of 15 in 2022 and subsequently joined the Sandringham Dragons for his club footy. My club did this as well with Caleb Nancarrow when he moved from Cairns at the age of 14 to board at Scotch College and continued to retain his place in our academy.

My understanding is that a boarder technically retains the physical address as their parents while they're interstate. So as long as the parent/s don't move with the junior, the northern academy will fulfil the residence criteria and retain drafting rights. I think it's great for the development of these juniors from the northern states, but I get the feeling people down south will eventually make the argument that it's a loophole that should be closed. What do you guys think?

Quiet, please.

I'm fine with it - they're seeing the benefits of the academy by getting recruited to the school. I think they should probably be ineligible for the TAC Cup though.

I feel its discriminating in a way. If the kid is good enough to get a boarding school scholarship, suddenly he has to choose between continuing in academy or go to boarding school - that's not fair on a teenager for starters. For every Marshall out there there is a Jacob Allison out there too, 60m kicking sure fire No.1 pick one year before drafting and went pick 60 later.

For every new restriction they bring along for Academy, may be they should add an identical one for NGA and Father Son too. Now watch them all quietly sulk away without saying a word.

Quiet, please.
Let's quickly kidnap GC2015 and brainwash him into becoming a one-eyed Lions supporter so he never will complain about the scholarship rules ever again ;)

youre coming with me homer simpson GIF

Yep. If Prior decides to chase opportunities elsewhere (i.e. Essendon) while we keep Beecken & Craven on the Rookie list, we have 4 open list spots.
So maybe we need to take the gamble and delist Beeken and Craven with the intention off picking them up again in the rookie draft so we can keep the 6 picks in the draft for points.

So maybe we need to take the gamble and delist Beeken and Craven with the intention off picking them up again in the rookie draft so we can keep the 6 picks in the draft for points.

Would not be delisting Beeken unless we want another club to take him. Not that I think it would happen though.

Would not be delisting Beeken unless we want another club to take him. Not that I think it would happen though.
It’s either him, Dev or Zorko?
Zorko probably the least likely to be going anywhere else.

I'm ok with is from the broader perspective as the AFL can't hinder a kid's education. If they are born in Qld and their parents reside in Qld I cant see why their talent, should not allow then to take up a scholarship at a private school, wherever it is. We have kids going across to take up basketball scholarships in the US and if they get through that they go to the draft. I think Education should override an argument about where they enter the draft from.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back