Autopsy 2024 in review. Dissapointment, or rebirth?

Remove this Banner Ad

12. ST KILDA (11-12, 99.4%)
Three word analysis Not there yet
What went right:
St Kilda’s second half of the season would have pleased its supporters, given the uninspiring start — it finished 8-4 after starting 3-8 — and while it disappointingly couldn’t contend for a September berth, there are positives to take away, including ball movement. A common misconception this season was that the Saints were a boring watch. It simply isn’t true. If you caught any of their arc-to-arc transitions this season, it was objectively pleasing viewing. Their rate of moving the ball from defensive-50 to forward-50 ranked sixth in the competition this season. They have also ranked first in the AFL in points from their defensive half, second for uncontested marks, and third for mark-play-on percentage. They are one of the league’s most proactive sides with the Sherrin in hand, and it is one of the positive foundations upon which Lyon and his staff can build. No. 18 draft choice Darcy Wilson has been a pleasing addition to Ross Lyon’s side, playing in all 23 games in his rookie season — averaging 15.3 disposals, 4.3 marks and 2.4 inside-50s per game, with the burgeoning midfielder’s best effort coming in Round 23 against Geelong when he notched a career-best 25 touches and two goals. Fellow rookie Hugo Garcia has also impressed in his nine games, while off-season trade addition Liam Henry has proved a livewire when he wasn’t sidelined with injury — managing 13.8 disposals and a career-high 3.6 inside-50s per game playing a high-volume wing role.

What went wrong:
The Saints were too inconsistent in showcasing their best football. And, while they were a side that ignited plenty of successful defence-to-offence chains, they couldn’t finish their work often enough inside forward-50 — St Kilda’s chain-to-score percentage ranked 15th, while their scores per inside-50 clip sits 14th in the competition. One of the other issues for Ross Lyon’s side was its inability to punish with its forward-half intercepts. The importance of forward-half territory in today’s game is paramount, and the Saints ranked dead-last in scoring from the front-half turnovers they forced. Further, St Kilda has struggled at stoppages this season — this year, they ranked 17th for points from clearance and were 11th for clearance differential. The club’s engine room doesn’t have enough stars, nor quality depth after skipper Jack Steele. Hunter Clark and Paddy Dow have shown flashes, but it isn’t an elite mix — and the likes of Seb Ross and Brad Crouch simply aren’t cutting it at this point in their careers, while question marks linger over the likes of Marcus Windhager and Ryan Byrnes. Elsewhere, the consensus expectation is that Josh Battle will depart St Kilda for Hawthorn this off-season as a free agent, and, forgetting for a moment the draft compensation it would yield, the loss — purely from a key-defending and intercepting standpoint — is going to leave a significant void. A second top-10 draft selection would be crucial for these Saints, but they would be losing a critical building block.

What they need
Simply, St Kilda needs another damaging presence — a true game-changer — between the arcs. It has its fair share of outside runners who can damage after first possession is won — including the likes of the aforementioned Wilson and Henry, Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Brad Hill, Mason Wood, etc. — but it needs a star-factor player or two who can do that extracting work and explode from congestion. It’s why the club pursued a peaking Jordan De Goey. But Stephen Silvagni and his list management brains trust know this, having registered interest in the likes of dynamic Lion Hugh McCluggage, North Melbourne clearance beast Luke Davies-Uniacke, and reborn Bomber Dylan Shiel this year. While the club has identified the weakness, it is now a matter of cementing a move in October. The Saints also have 21 players currently without a contract for next season — no other AFL side has more unsigned players — and eight of those are eligible for unrestricted free agency. Those free agents are Josh Battle, Tim Membrey, Mason Wood, Liam Stocker, Jimmy Webster, Riley Bonner, Seb Ross and Tom Campbell. In short, further change is coming, at a minimum via the drafts.

What time is it on the premiership clock?
(4pm): Missing out on September comfortably after a finals berth in 2022 certainly stings for the supporter base, but it is easier to look at the Saints with a positive lens considering their strong end to the year. After starting the season poorly, they finished well enough to give their supporter base hope going into 2025 — which, as we know, is a dangerous elixir for these starved Saints!
Season grade: C-

Some do these far better than I can, but I thought I'd throw this out there for those not wanting to invest themselves fully into draft and trade just yet

2024 is done,

no finals but there were bigger scalps in Pies Sydney, Geelong and Carlton than 2023
Started the season 3-8 and finished post-bye 8-4.

first up
The Dissapointing

No finals, it's what we expected pre-season.
Injuries, Crueled our year again.
Form slump, that mid-season patch was some of the worst footy I've seen played, horrendous stuff
Our midfield
Crouch, 1 game for the year from injury
King, the year started so promisingly but unfortunately, another disappointing year cut down by injury.
Phillapou, 2nd year blues. going back to VFL was deserved.
Henry, 2 medium term injuries never let him show us what he can do
Butler, lucky Collard didn't show much in his games but Dans had a stinker of a year after injury
Owens, just couldn't quite finish off his work, He needed that one game where things just worked for him and I think he would have been off.

the Encouraging

the last 6-8 games, the game style, the scoring.
the Kids. Debuted another 5-6 kids this year.
Phillapou post VFL, took huge strides toward becoming a damaging midfielder.
Henry, really adds spark to our side up forward.
our ball movement + King.
Sharman and Camaniti - patience is required, but they will make it

The Delightful

Wins over the Swans and Cats
Our Defence, again one of the best in the comp
Wilson, what a debut year for the kid, couldn't ask for anymore
Ronnie Byrnes - Career resurrection stuff.
Nassiah continues to be a jet, cementing himself as one of the league's best u22 players

The most disappointing aspect of the year is the way we use King.
Or the way King plays. I can't decide what comes first.

He is elite talent, yet we are demonstrably more dangerous when hesnot on the park. We need to either fix this issue (by playing him higher and making him run) or get 2 x first rounders for him.

Most pleasing:
3 votes Wilson is a 200 gamer gun, will be multiple AA when he gets going.
2 votes Phillipou took himself to the magoos and came back a midfielder, well done kid.
1 vote Sharman/Caminiti forward craft, these guys are bloody good and we are dangerous when the ball goes inside 50. They are smart, good set shots and very clean hands. Got em for nothing!!!

Last edited:
Yet another year where we are hanging around the middle of the ladder- been a Saint supporter for a very long time, and seen it all before. For me it's a disappointment.
But what a launchpad.
Excellent second half of the season and STILL best 22 players out.

I hate picking on players but Webster's hit on Simpkin was a real sliding doors moment (take note D Barrett). Very underrated player is Jimmy. It also opened the door for Bonner to come into the side and we struggled to get the balance right. We went 0-8 vs top 8 teams with him in the side, and 3-0 without. Having a defender capable of halving contests and tackling something other than air would've helped in a few of those close ones.

I hate picking on players but Webster's hit on Simpkin was a real sliding doors moment (take note D Barrett). Very underrated player is Jimmy. It also opened the door for Bonner to come into the side and we struggled to get the balance right. We went 0-8 vs top 8 teams with him in the side, and 3-0 without. Having a defender capable of halving contests and tackling something other than air would've helped in a few of those close ones.
Excellent point, players seem to lose focus after this incident, I'm tipping us to jump up the ladder more next year 6-8 but we will make the finals.

We need to become better at dealing with adversity. Lyon alluded to this in his press conference. Injuries to Clark, Sincs and Dow in pre season, losing King and Henry, Jimmy as you said, the tough travel, it seemed to kill our momentum and it took months to find it again.

The season is a disappointment, but there are good signs. Great kids coming through, Pou looks like he'll be elite as does Wilson, Garcia has something too. The forward line is starting to look like it has an array of weapons too.

The midfield still seems like a work in progress. Hope we can take further steps in there next year.

The backline is going to need a re-jig. Replacing Battle the biggest challenge.

I'm happy to cop a down year but we've proven that we should be playing finals next year.

Looks like we've got a duplicate thread going. Mods, can you kill this one please: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/season-in-review.1386411/

I'm normally in the Gringo camp of a mixture of disdain / disgust with the club, however I think this really was a 1 step back, 2 steps forward season. We won less games than last year but the future became much brighter, particularly with what we saw in the second half of the season. Main thing for me is that we've found some goal kicking mids and mid/fwd hybrids. Worth their weight in gold.

Positives
I'm an unabashed Ross fan. Even when we were struggling it was clear the team was combative, competitive and committed. I know we didn't score nearly enough (more on that in the negatives) but I never felt it was for a lack of trying. The game plan is clearly to try to score from turnover like every other team, and we did very well with scores from back half intercepts. Our half backs (and backline in general) will continue to be a strength going forward.
Pou - went back to the VFL and dominated. Looked like a goal kicking impact mid at VFL level. Came back to AFL and had 26 and a goal, 20 and a goal, 24 and a goal, 20 and a goal. 9 shots at goal over that 4-week period. Had 26 tackles over this stretch and took contested marks. I saw him for 2 of those games live. He hasn't just turned a corner, he's turned a Sharman. Can only imagine how he would have gone if he didn't miss 3 weeks with illness and a hip in between those 4 games. You also know he's going to come back better next year. Say it with me, GOAL KICKING MID
Wilson - nailed the pick. Most of us wanted him last year, he's further advanced than we could have hoped. Played every game, which included 21 and 2 behinds, 21 and 3 goals, 21 and a behind, 25 and 2 goals 3, 22 and 2 behinds. A bunch of others between 15 and 19 with plenty of shots at goal. Going to be a GOAL KICKING MID
Hugo - Going to be an absolute beauty. Has performed every time given an opportunity in the first team and looks way above VFL level already. Actually has an impact with his possessions. Also, like Pou and Wilson, an absolute maniac with his preparation. Going to come back way better next year
Naz - All Australian squad of 40 this year. Already a star.
Sharman - really good in the second half of the year. Game against the blues showcased how far he's come, regular contributor now even when things don't go 100% right. Definitely taken a step this year.
Henry - I wasn't too enthused about him but when he wasn't injured you can see exactly what he brings. The games against the Lions in Brisbane, Pies and Cats at the start were elite half forward work. GOAL KICKING HALF FORWARD/MID
Hammer - Has taken a step. Looked more comfortable at the level, showed potential as a back and significantly improved his ability to impact contests that he can't win.
Higgins - continues to kick goals and looked much improved in terms of his work rate when he doesn't have the ball.
Windy - half a step forward. He's going to be a solid AFL player that will cover holes. Injuries notwithstanding, took half a step this season.
Development coaches - big tick with all of the above. The Pou transformation is a standout.
In terms of kids that didn't play much AFL, I thought Keeler and Heath looked much improved. Keeler in general has a lot of scope, hopefully will start knocking the door down next season. Hastie and Arie showed something in their stints at AFL level but still have a lot to work on. I'm hopeful on Collard but he needs a massive preseason.
Senior players - Wilkie is a champ. Should be at least a co-captain next year. Sinclair back to his best in the second half of the season. Steele continues to be good, pity we don't have all-aus Jack anymore. Battle was excellent and will be a loss (let's hope for band one). Hill's best season at the saints. We all love Mason. Ro continues to be a top-level ruck and has added goals to his repertoire.

Negatives
Unfortunately, badly let down by 2 factors this year: midfield work and our ability to connect between our mids/backs and forwards. Our connection going forward in the first half of the season was terrible. We've found a few this year in terms of future mids but need to continue to attack that line in the draft and trade period to build out quality and depth.
King - let's be brutally honest, was a disappointment when on the field. Our expectations are sky high and he hasn't come close in the last 2 seasons. Need to see a heap more aggression and better body language.
Mitch - third year blues. Had a poor season though I think we all know where Mitch is headed in the end. Don't go too hard this offseason!
Crouch - i'm a big fan, sorry to see it end this way. Thank you for your time in the RWB Brad.
Battle - has gone up a level. Will be sorely missed (please give me an A grade mid as draft compensation)
Van Es - another year ruined by injury. I had high hopes as the athleticism and raw tools are there but he needs to start trending up.
Clark - showed what he could be in the second half of the year but injuries and time on ground again a problem.

What's next
1. More mids in the draft and trade period.
2. The club needs to work out what our forward line should look like going forward. Thought we looked better with 2 key forwards and smalls/mediums around them. Assuming Max is fit starting next season it's going to be fascinating if we roll out with Max, Sharman, Hammer and Mitch forward of the ball.
3. Need to improve our forward half intercept work. Created enough turnovers, couldn't finish our work. Related to point 2 I guess.

We go again. I'm excited :)

At one stage this year I had friends quite seriously ask me if I was ready to give the Saints away. I think after the Hawks/Freo losses where we kicked 50-odd points in both games. The black sheep of the comp at that point.

I’m more positive than negative on 2024. We’re still developing and learning a lot. Pumping games into the new breed. Some brilliant wins and painfully close losses over the best sides in it.

My biggest concern is that I don’t fear any other team. I fear what we will dish up week on week. That gap still needs bridging but it’s closing a little I think.

We’re in a little period where frenetic footy is the formula so I hope we can continue adding run, pace and attack to our bow.

We’re not that far off and I think we’re heading in an actual direction now. Fortius Quo Fidelius.

At one stage this year I had friends quite seriously ask me if I was ready to give the Saints away. I think after the Hawks/Freo losses where we kicked 50-odd points in both games. The black sheep of the comp at that point.

I’m more positive than negative on 2024. We’re still developing and learning a lot. Pumping games into the new breed. Some brilliant wins and painfully close losses over the best sides in it.

My biggest concern is that I don’t fear any other team. I fear what we will dish up week on week. That gap still needs bridging but it’s closing a little I think.

We’re in a little period where frenetic footy is the formula so I hope we can continue adding run, pace and attack to our bow.

We’re not that far off and I think we’re heading in an actual direction now. Fortius Quo Fidelius.
I feel very similarly. After the Freo loss, which was one of the most uninspiring performances I can remember, I was feeling really disillusioned with the club. The second half of the season has been so much more invigorating.

We have shown we can take it to anyone in the comp. Even in the Geelong, first Brisbane, and first Port losses, some of the most difficult away fixtures in the league, we grinded away and were still in those games in the last quarters. We are our own worst enemy. You can tell when they're not going to show up mentally. Dogs game, second Lions game you could tell from the first bounce, second half of the Adelaide game. That's the next step for this group, being able to switch on for every game and nearly every quarter. We've made a lot of progress in the last month or two in games that ultimately meant nothing to us.

I was overly optimistic after last year and came back down to Earth fairly quickly. Now feeling good but more in check about the next few years again. It's a marathon as they say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seem to be heading in the right direction and building sustainably which is all you can ask for (in terms of where we are at).

Both Wilson and Garcia (whilst not 'tall' by modern midfield standards) are both a bit taller than I thought they looked on the field. An inside midfield at the start of 2028 of Wilson, Pou, Owens, Windy, and Garcia would actually be a very good blend of size, skills, strength and pace and is a pretty exciting proposition considering the oldest would be Windy at the ripe old age of 25.

While the first half of the season was an absolute disaster, our post-bye form has me very excited for next season. The most encouraging part of the season was clearly the impact of the young players. Phillipou looks like he could be the game-breaking mid we've been crying out for for the last decade, and all the players from last year's draft look as if they can fit into the side long-term. The improvement of Caminiti and Sharman is also hugely promising.
Biggest disappointment would have to be King. I think there's two sides to this coin. I do think he's been handled somewhat poorly by the club. He's basically been pushed as the "saviour" since day 1 and he just doesn't have the personality to carry that sort of expectation. The club also should be chastised for not allowing King the outside help he requested, e.g. Lloyd. That being said at some point he does need to pull his finger out and start playing to his strengths, i.e. his field kicking and contested marking ability. If he comes good he'll be a massive asset for the forward line but I also wouldn't be surprised if he remains the million-dollar black hole that he currently is.

The most disappointing aspect of the year is the way we use King.
Or the way King plays. I can't decide what comes first.

He is elite talent, yet we are demonstrably more dangerous when hesnot on the park. We need to either fix this issue (by playing him higher and making him run) or get 2 x first rounders for him.

Most pleasing:
3 votes Wilson is a 200 gamer gun, will be multiple AA when he gets going.
2 votes Phillipou took himself to the magoos and came back a midfielder, well done kid.
1 vote Sharman/Caminiti forward craft, these guys are bloody good and we are dangerous when the ball goes inside 50. They are smart, good set shots and very clean hands. Got em for nothing!!!
I think people get too focused on us "playing better without king" which is demonstrably true when his form is down (whether that be injury/mental etc...) without posing the question "Imagine how good we could be if hes firing and we play like we did without him".

I think it absolutely hurt us. We forget how good a one on one defender Webster is and his age doesnt seem to have slowed him down at all.

We need to become better at dealing with adversity. Lyon alluded to this in his press conference. Injuries to Clark, Sincs and Dow in pre season, losing King and Henry, Jimmy as you said, the tough travel, it seemed to kill our momentum and it took months to find it again.

The season is a disappointment, but there are good signs. Great kids coming through, Pou looks like he'll be elite as does Wilson, Garcia has something too. The forward line is starting to look like it has an array of weapons too.

The midfield still seems like a work in progress. Hope we can take further steps in there next year.

The backline is going to need a re-jig. Replacing Battle the biggest challenge.

I'm happy to cop a down year but we've proven that we should be playing finals next year.
I thought Lyon's presser really highlighted a lot of issues that we all knew existed but he obvioiusly cant really speak about. He made specific mention that we really let 2 or 3 games go that we were genuinely in and let a few more that we were coming back hard in go as well. Us chasing tail in a lot of games is a big issue and obviously one he hates repeating despite it working a few times (Sydney game and Geelong specifically).

The club also should be chastised for not allowing King the outside help he requested, e.g. Lloyd. That being said at some point he does need to pull his finger out and start playing to his strengths, i.e. his field kicking and contested marking ability. If he comes good he'll be a massive asset for the forward line but I also wouldn't be surprised if he remains the million-dollar black hole that he currently is.
The club actually did allow him to request assistance from Lloyd who turned him down as it was going to be on a casual basis and Lloyd said he needed a full time coach to help him out. Remember though, this was years ago and his accuracy is actually pretty good for a key forward now.

IMO three games cost us finals. The first game against Essendon, the game against Hawthorn and the second game against Port Adelaide. Win those three games and we win more games than last year and finish 7th. Our other three losses by under 2 goals were the game at Geelong (we had our chances but I hardly see this as a missed opportunity), the loss to GWS (we came home hard after being second best most of the day) and the first Port Adelaide loss (ten fewer scoring shots but only lost by 10 points).

From a statistical point of view, we were better defensively and offensively in every subsequent quarter this season. Permit me to post the numbers

Q1: 16.3 points scored, 20.8 points conceded
Q2: 17.0, 20.6
Q3: 21.0, 18.3
Q4: 21.8, 16.8

This tells you we are fit. Also one of the reasons I felt confident mostly yesterday - we're a hard team to run down.

We won 46 quarters this season, lost 44 and drew 2. We won 20 halves this season, lost 24 and drew 2.

We kicked straighter than our opponents (again): 1 more goal, but 16 fewer behinds.

And also, we won all four games Riley Bonner didn't play in. Have at it, Bonner haters.

While the first half of the season was an absolute disaster, our post-bye form has me very excited for next season. The most encouraging part of the season was clearly the impact of the young players. Phillipou looks like he could be the game-breaking mid we've been crying out for for the last decade, and all the players from last year's draft look as if they can fit into the side long-term. The improvement of Caminiti and Sharman is also hugely promising.
Biggest disappointment would have to be King. I think there's two sides to this coin. I do think he's been handled somewhat poorly by the club. He's basically been pushed as the "saviour" since day 1 and he just doesn't have the personality to carry that sort of expectation. The club also should be chastised for not allowing King the outside help he requested, e.g. Lloyd. That being said at some point he does need to pull his finger out and start playing to his strengths, i.e. his field kicking and contested marking ability. If he comes good he'll be a massive asset for the forward line but I also wouldn't be surprised if he remains the million-dollar black hole that he currently is.
Now that we know we can win without King, we can stop worrying about him and putting him in cotton wool. Which means, he can go in the ruck. He started to do this before his last season ending injury and looked good. He simply has to get positioned up the ground to bring him into it. I’m hopeful on that front.

I asked on this very platform earlier in the year for the club to show us ‘something’

More than happy with how the season panned out. Disappointed to miss finals but with early injuries and Webster out, coupled with half a dozen games lost by 2 straight kicks (The Punter outlines this beautifully above) to finish as strongly as we have is very impressive.

Well done Saints.

You certainly showed me the desire, gameplan and young brigade are something to keep me - and more importantly, my 2 kids - engaged.

Enjoy mad Monday lads.

it's always been about the midfield, any rise up the ladder would be a false dawn until we got that right. With Pou, Garcia, Wilson and Windy we are finally getting the pieces in place. A couple more highly rated mids this year and we can finally put the the last decade and a bit behind us.

It also really feels like ross and his team have got a handle on things, the hard work everyone's putting in is finally paying off. End of year form is much more important than strong early form, and I think over our last 8 games we've looked as best we have since 2010

super pumped for the draft and 2025

Last edited:
There where years not that long ago when I looked at our young players and saw nothing, looked at the team and saw only holes, no substance whatsoever. Now I see guys with talent that should improve and a team of substance with some obvious weaknesses that should be fixable.

Next step, draft as many young mids as we can get our hands on and pray that at least one and hopefully two are brownlow medal quality. Also fix up our misuse of King, kicking it on his head 80% of the time is silly.

So part of the rebirth for me.

The win against the Pies in r2 was already enough for me and l ECO'd at that point.
Even through the 1st half of the season when we were often unwatchable l was happy just to see that we had some grit. That said, on several occasions l found better things to do than watch it.
We have to recognise that we had an absolutely putrid 1st half draw, and putrid injuries to boot. Our best ball pig Crouch played 1 game, and Seb Ross fell off a cliff.
As a developing side we'll suffer more from adversity and still put up some bad performances, it's to be expected.

On balance, last year was more fun, but this year has demonstrated a more matured progression. If we can stay on track and largely injury free then we'll be thereabouts at finals time.
I give us a solid B+ for 2024.

Hopefully another A+ comes from this acquisition season. 🤞

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 in review. Dissapointment, or rebirth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back